Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Jersey Supreme Court - Same Sex Couples have Same Rights as Heterosexual Couples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Jersey Supreme Court - Same Sex Couples have Same Rights as Heterosexual Couples

The State Supreme Court in New Jersey said today that under equal protection guarantees of the state constitution, same-sex couples “must be afforded on equal terms the same rights and benefits enjoyed by opposite-sex couples under the civil marriage statutes.”

But it said that whether that status is called marriage or something else “is a matter left to the democratic process.”

In a 4-3 vote, the court found that an arrangement similar to that of Vermont, which authorizes civil unions between same-sex couples but does not call them marriages, would be consitutional in New Jersey.

The court gave the legislature a six-month deadline to enact the necessary legislation to provide for same-sex unions.

Courts in many other states have rejected similar lawsuits by same-sex couples, ruling, as the Court of Appeals of New York did in July, that only the legislature can define or redefine marriage. No legislature has done so, despite widespread shifts in public opinion in the last few years, and the recognition of domestic partnerships and civil unions in some states.

Only Massachusetts so far authorizes same-sex marriages. Since the Massachusetts Supreme Court held in 2003 that that full marriage rights were required for all couples under that state’s constitution, gay-rights advocates have suffered a string of defeats. The Court of Appeals of New York rejected a similar argument in July.

Nineteen states have adopted constitutional amendments banning same-sex marriage. Most others have explicit statutory bans --- though New Jersey does not. New Jersey is among several that recognize domestic partnerships, and Vermont and Connecticut authorize civil unions, affording more legal protections. .

In part because the New Jersey Supreme Court is known as liberal and, above all, independent, the case here had garnered national attention.

The case was brought by seven gay and lesbian couples, who have been together from 14 to 35 years and were denied marriage licenses. Five of them have children.

The trial-level and lower appellate courts rejected their claim that the state constitution protected their right to marry as heterosexual couples do. The Appellate Division said in June 2005 that marriage between members of the same sex was neither a fundamental right under the constitution nor one protected by its equal protection clause.

The Supreme Court heard the case, Lewis v. Harris, on Feb. 15.

Under New Jersey’s domestic partnership law, enacted in 2004, same-sex partners may make critical medical decisions for each other, for example, and must be offered the same health coverage by insurers that is given to spouses.

The law was approved by the Legislature with little dissent and signed by then-Gov. James E. McGreevey --- who at the time did not support fully legalized gay marriage, even though he would resign several months later with the statement, “I am a gay American.”

Mr. Goldstein was among those who celebrated the domestic partnership law, but he would later find that it fell short of expectations. He said on Wednesday that “hospitals and other employers have told domestic-partnered couples across New Jersey: We don’t care what the domestic partnership law says. You’re not married.”

In the last few years, public opinion has become more accepting of gay marriage, at least in New Jersey. A Rutgers-Eagleton poll of New Jersey residents taken in June found that 50 percent said they supported allowing same-sex couples to marry legally, while 44 percent were opposed. (The margin of error was plus or minus 4 percentage points.) When the poll asked the same question in 2003, 43 percent of respondents supported legal recognition for gay marriage and 50 percent were opposed.

Still, conservative opposition has also organized, culminating in proposed constitutional amendments on the ballot in 11 states in 2004. All were approved overwhelmingly.

Last summer, the New York Court of Appeals ruled in a 4-to-2 decision that it would not depart from the state’s century-old law defining marriage as the union of a man and a woman. Chief Judge Judith S. Kaye wrote, in a sharply worded dissent, that “a history or tradition of discrimination --- no matter how entrenched --- does not make the discrimination constitutional.”

Interesting middle ground there. Asserting that gay couples have the same rights as heterosexual couples, but not asserting that they have to be marriage (a civil union that basically copies the rights of married couples will suffice).
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Another victory for evilness
    Blah

Comment

New Jersey Supreme Court

Marriage shouldn't have anything to do with the state, anyway.
      "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

Heres one of the first happy NJ couples!

Comment

Good for NJ. This resembles my stance better than any other. Gays need not be discriminated against in the legal (governmental) recognition of their relationships but that same relationship does not necessarily need to be marriage per se (depending on the will of the people of the state.)

Good show.
          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
            Another victory for evilness
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Its still sad that American society is so backward that it cannot bring itself to apply the same rights to all people (including "marriage"), but at least gays now have an option to enter a union of some sort.
                Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
                  Its still sad that American society is so backward that it cannot bring itself to apply the same rights to all people (including "marriage"), but at least gays now have an option to enter a union of some sort.
                  Curiosity more than anything else Tass, but how does Russia deal with it gays on these issues?
                  "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Russian high court rejects gay marriage case
                    Wednesday 16 February, 2005

A bid by two Russian men to extend marriage rights to same-sex couples was denied by the Russian Supreme Court on Tuesday, according to press reports.

The court refused to introduce amendments to the Family Code that would allow same-sex couples to marry. As reported by Ekho Mosky radio, the court resolved that it is not entitled to make such changes.

The case began last month, when two men tried to file for a marriage licence. Though not lovers, the two men said their marriage attempt was meant to call attention to the discrimination that LGBT Russians face.

Eduard Murzin, a legislative deputy in central Russia, and Ed Mishin, chief editor of the Russian gay magazine Kvir, were denied a certificate at the registration office.

Murzin has said he believes discrimination against same-sex couples in marriage laws violates Russia's constitution and the European Human Rights Convention.

He plans to appeal the Supreme Court ruling to the International Human Rights Court in Strasbourg, France.
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Indeed. Especially with the rise of the far-right, gays in Russia do not have many rights.

Shiva, might I ask what India's laws on the matter are?

Comment

They're even more backward

Interesting that you say that it's the rise of the far-right that's causing the intolerance in Russia, though, considering that homosexuality itself was illegal in the Soviet Union.

Comment

Well, I fail. I should have waited for aneeshm.

So I suppose the US can congratulate itself: Its just as good as Russia, and somewhat better than India!

to high standards

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
                            Good for NJ. This resembles my stance better than any other. Gays need not be discriminated against in the legal (governmental) recognition of their relationships but that same relationship does not necessarily need to be marriage per se (depending on the will of the people of the state.)

Good show.
                            Yeppers, sounds like they got it right.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Interesting that you say that it's the rise of the far-right that's causing the intolerance in Russia, though, considering that homosexuality itself was illegal in the Soviet Union.

Yes, Stalin did so As well, amongst many Soviet "thinkers", homosexuality was a bourgeoise disease. It wasn't until the 1980's, IIRC, that it became more tolerated.
                              However, things have gotten far worse. Now that many Russian youth are neonazi thugs, homosexuals face increased persecution in Russia.

Comment

Working...
                              X