Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christianity? More like Constantinianity...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MOBIUS

Exactly!

The average Christian is shockingly ignorant of the fact that the religion pretty much owes its 'modern' existence to Constantine, the first Christian Roman Emperor. If it wasn't for him, christians would still have been regularly persecuted and hunted down like the rats they were and, perhaps more importantly, if he didn't bang their heads together at the First Council of Nicaea the whole religion might have splintered into the pettiness that bedeviled it later on, whilst it was large enough to survive it then, back in 325 it might very well not have...
    We owe a much of our existence to Constintine, but we owe as much (if not more) to Pope Leo the Great, Pope Peter, or St. Paul. Again, God convinced Constintine to become a Christian, so your arguement is defeted with just this. Again, close this thread!!!
    USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
    The video may avatar is from

Comment

Originally posted by Will9
      We owe a much of our existence to Constintine, but we owe as much (if not more) to Pope Leo the Great, Pope Peter, or St. Paul. Again, God convinced Constintine to become a Christian, so your arguement is defeted with just this. Again, close this thread!!!
      God did no such thing!

Next you'll be saying you believe in Noah and the Great Flood!
      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Stop feeding the frigging troll, Will. Then this thread will sink to the bottom where it belongs. Alternately, we can jack the thread to discuss something less silly, like our favorite pizza toppings. Personally, I like the classic pepperoni, though hot peppers do have a certain charm about them.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Again, close this thread!!!
          Are you seriously trying to define what may and what may not be discussed on a Sunday?

Comment

Next you'll be saying you believe in Noah and the Great Flood!
            Now you are just plain pissing me off.

God did no such thing!
            Why was it that Constintine converted?

He saw the letters PX (a Greek Christian symbol) in the sky and he was told to paint on his weapons and he would win the battle.
            USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
            The video may avatar is from

Comment

1)- The average Christian is shockingly ignorant of the fact that the religion pretty much owes its 'modern' existence to Constantine, the first Christian Roman Emperor.

2)-If it wasn't for him, christians would still have been regularly persecuted and hunted down like the rats they were and, perhaps more importantly, if he didn't bang their heads together at the First Council of Nicaea the whole religion might have splintered into the pettiness that bedeviled it later on, whilst it was large enough to survive it then, back in 325 it might very well not have...
              1)-
              Many protestants just dont care much for the first 1500 years of christian history not mentioned in the new testament, but many do and blame Constantine for perverting christianity by mixing it with paganism to make it more accesible to your average joe pagan roman empire peasant, and therefore they know of him.
              Constantine is a saint in Eastern orthodoxy, he is well known there too, I would say yours is a bad generalization.
              By the way, in third world latin american countries, we learn about Constantine and his relation with christianity in high school history classes, I am sure the same happens in western first world countries, so, even if someone, even a good christian, shows little interest in roman or christian history later in his life, not knowing of constantine would be a case of bad memory.

I am quite sure the Da Vinci Code crowd also knows of Constantine.

2)- Today, and since the protestant reformation, christianity has been very splintered, with hundreds of denominations with different views on salvation, baptism, real presence in the eucharist, ordination of women, homosexuality, nature of christ etc etc etc
              But it has not stopped christianity, evangelism, expansion.
              By the way, Constantine did not decide himself what the "christian orthodoxy would be", he didnt know enough about christianity to do something like that, and arianism was very popular back then.

And your rats comment

You also strike me as shockingly ignorant on roman and patristic history.
              I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                Stop feeding the frigging troll, Will. Then this thread will sink to the bottom where it belongs. Alternately, we can jack the thread to discuss something less silly, like our favorite pizza toppings. Personally, I like the classic pepperoni, though hot peppers do have a certain charm about them.
                Classic Tomato/ham/cheese
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

your ratings may very well overtake Comrade Tassadar's ratings within this year, making you the best troll on Apolyton's OTF.

Wow, I didn't know I held that honour.

Anyway, I prefer just plain cheese. Anything else disrupts the harmony of the pizza.
                  Tomato/ham/cheese sandwich
                  Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                  Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
                    Another one bites the troll
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Constantinianity is such a cumbersome name. How about Constanity or Constantinanity.
                      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Constantrine only made being a christian legal and gave the church imperial patronage. AFAIK Constantine didn't have that much influence on the Council of Nicea besides ording it and telling and the bishops to iron out a coherent dogma. If you are going to blame thing blame the majority opinion of the bishops, not the emperor.

Oh, and Mobius gets 0.001/10 on the troll-o-meter.

Comment

Oh, and shouldn't this be in the History forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
                            Oh, and Mobius gets 0.001/10 on the troll-o-meter.
                            With two bites, including one from a confirmed poster?! Are you crazy?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus

Are you seriously trying to define what may and what may not be discussed on a Sunday?
                              Oh don't be a dolt.

His reaction was one of the funniest yet, and quite obviously not serious.

Comment

Siro, it's not clear.

Comment

Working...
                                X