Deciphering personalities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciphering personalities

There's a kid in my department (a couple of years lower on the food chain than me) who's a bit of a weirdo. I've never really liked him all that much, but I didn't actively dislike him. He wears all black all the time, he's very awkward socially and, unforgivably, he's arrogant when he has no right to be (I'm arrogant, but I back my **** up; he doesn't know **** about the stuff he talks about). Possibly, but not necessarily relevant, he has some sort of German ancestry (but is at least 3rd generation US).

We're at a party at a friend's house last Saturday. Me and a couple of the guys are outside drinking while all the girls (including my wife) and some guys (including Mr. Douchebag) are inside playing some party games.

Apparently what's going on inside is that douche is making antisemitic comments. Not "you know, I knew a Jew who was so tight that..." type comments either. He was making holocaust "jokes". The only example I heard after was that he claimed "my grandfather died at Auschwitz. He fell off the tower while shooting Jews". Now, my wife (who's half Jewish and can take a joke) sits through this **** for about 10 minutes before she calls him an ******* and runs out of the room crying (coming to see me). The person whose house it is ejects the douche and the other person whose house it is wraps herself around me to stop me from shoving this idiot's teeth down his throat.

The next day he writes an apology email claiming that it was all a joke etc. etc.

Now, my question is, is this guy:

a) Just a dick who doesn't understand how far is too far to take a joke, and who simply chose the holocaust as a "shocking" subject

b) A slightly racist dick who couches his antisemitism in "jokes"

c) A slightly racist dick + Columbine waiting to happen

d) A full blown HJer

I keep vacillating between a, b and c
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

I have come to dislike people who are arrogant with no cause.. my expeirence is that physics has more than it should.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I'd say b) seems most likely, FWIW.
      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

c) A slightly racist dick + Columbine waiting to happen

my guess is 'a' but you really have to see the guy.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

I've heard that joke multiple times. They may have come from some slightly insensitive people, but they were just trying to be funny.

So I go with A)
          Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

b is what I see as most likely, except I keep wondering if he has little fantasies where he kills people who he feels ****ed him over, especially if they're Jews...
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

a or b most likely

a lot of people are slightly racist.. and generally hide it but it comes out at times

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Some additional information: he has apparently made Hitler "jokes" in the past, on other occasions. I just found this out today.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'm not much on jokes involving groups of people.
                  Well, except for blonde jokes.

Hard to say if he's a racist or just totally socially inept.
                  I'd have to see his act, but I'm not so inclined.
                  I have to assume he's off your Holiday greeting card list, right?
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Based on the information provided, I'd guess you've got a b) there. However, he could just be a misfit a) type carrying the joke too far because it let him keep the floor in the conversation. Sounds like he may not think too much of himself and uses his arrogance as a form of bravado to disguise his own perceived inadequacies OR he is just an insensitive racist jerk who thinks way too highly of himself. Either way, ignore if at all possible -- the creature may mature, but I have little truck with people who make my wife cry.
                    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

He has previously been voted most likely to attempt a massacre (straw poll)
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Is he on vampirefreaks?
                        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Good question.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

a) or maybe c). My dad (a Jew) occasionally makes holocaust jokes.

Comment

How much did the guy have to drink?

I remember telling a whole bunch of West Virginia incest jokes only to findout most of the audience came from West Virginia the next day.

Truthfully I didn't give a flying **** cause I was way to hung over to care anyway.
                              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
                              X