How the Iraq war was won, media review 3 years on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darius871

There's a treasure-trove of hawkish posts from Oerdin here that are shot down by Che and GePap:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...31#post1707831
    I've done my mea culpa long ago. My tour in Iraq convinced me the administration lied to get us into it and then was to incompetant to do it right.

I intially supported the war based upon the idea of creating a second swing oil producer and to create a new pro-western government in the middle east. My mistake was thinking the adminstration would be even remotely up to the task and that Blair would some how get Bush to do things mostly above board. I was wrong on both counts.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

That's a pretty bipartisan group in the opening post; I'm not surprised to see that our press corps is so uniformly shortsighted. Unfortunately, I don't think things have changed much in the intervening three years...
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bosh

Well it takes too much effort to dig up all the dumb quotes but I did make a poll about what people thought would happen in Iraq on the 3rd of March 2003 and I think the results are fairly interesting:

Ooooh and it looks like I was spot-on with the Lebanon option. Go me!
        So was I.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

(not in that thread, but in many others)

I was also right about the extent of Saddam's CBN programs.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I made one big mistake in my predictions in 2003, I really underestimated the willingness of the Bush administration to turn over power to Iran-backed Shia Islamists. Aside from that I think I did pretty good job...

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
            That's a pretty bipartisan group in the opening post; I'm not surprised to see that our press corps is so uniformly shortsighted. Unfortunately, I don't think things have changed much in the intervening three years...
            Well looking through your posts in 2003, you sure did a lot of cheering them on.
            Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Really? I was always pretty reluctantly pro-war and wary of the post-war consequences, if I remember correctly. And given that I cranked out plenty of public (and easily looked-up) op-eds during that time period, I think I do.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I think there has been a lot of flip flopping.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Yeah, looking at the old threads, there's at least two of them.
                  So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                  Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                    Arg, reading all those smug, moronic quotes... what *******s. Pisses me off!

-Arrian
                    I'll bet you that just like our fearless leaders, over 90% of those smug, arrogant ********ers never put in a day in the military, and 100% of them were never line animals, airborne, jarheads, or any other high-risk MOS where you had a risk of having your head or legs or both blown off.
                    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Working...
                    X