Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really don't see a problem with how they're built.

Kobasew and Lombardi should finally be entering their own (Lombardi already is this year), Iginla and Tanguay and Langkow up front for scoring, best goaltender in the league, arguably the best defense in the league...

I really think construction-wise it's one of the best teams in the league -- there is no gaping hole like on most teams.

Buffalo is perhaps the best built, IMO. But Calgary is up there. Leaps and bounds ahead of Edmonton, Vancouver, Toronto, that's for sure.

Edmonton: Lack of suitable defense is going to kill them, especially as the aging Rollie continuously gets worse (as he is now), not used to the repeated strain of being a starting goaltender, especially at his age with a pourous defense.

Vancouver has major defense problems, period. And one line that can find the back of the net.

Toronto has major defense problems, period.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Kontiki

I believe Calgary is a better team than what they're showing right now,
      I do too but they are not just losing, they are losing some games very badly. They put on a reasonable showing against Washington but played very poorly against Nashville and Detroit. The scores flattered them.

Originally posted by Kontiki

, but you could debate how solidly they're built. When they were playing well last year, they were relying on very strong defensive play and all-universe goaltending to eek out low scoring one goal victories. On the surface, that seems like a recipe where if something goes wrong, your fortunes can turn fast.
      I agree in part but the theory was that with a second year Phaneuf and the remainder of the d-men not that old, the d should probably be even better while tanguay and Huselius improve them a little offensively
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
        arguably the best defense in the league...
        There's the problem-- I can see the talent. . . and Phaneuf has been a pretty steady workhorse. But some of the vets have been shaky and in my mind the best defense in the league does NOT surrender 30 shots a game night after night.

I have watched them a LOT this season and I have yet to see a game where Calgary DOMINATED defensively. You know a game where the other team hardly has ANY good chances because they are just that good.

I am still waiting for that turnaround-- I believe it can happen but this far it hasn't been bad luck . .. The Flames have the record they deserve
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• When does the inability to score all of last year and so far this year get classified as a gaping hole?

And I'm not sure what Vancouver, Edmonton and Toronto have to do with anything.
          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

• Originally posted by Kontiki
            When does the inability to score all of last year and so far this year get classified as a gaping hole?

And I'm not sure what Vancouver, Edmonton and Toronto have to do with anything.
            It is one in my estimation. The first line has actually been generally ok-- well Iginla's numbers anyway. But the other 3 lines have far too many shifts where they have "good pressure" but they don't score.

Comment

• Oh and we shouldn't slam Kipper and the d-men too bad since on a league basis Calgary still has a decent GAA (2.84). But last year it was "score two and win" while this year they have a string of 3-2 losses.

In this stretch where they have lost 6 of 7, ALL of their losses were by one goal ( well Washington was by two but they got a late empty-netter) so despite playing not great on a lot of nights, the Flames were still in the games.

To me thats both a positive and a negative. Its a positive that they are not getting thoroughly trounced. But its a negative that no one has stepped up in any of those games to get the clutch goal. Through SIX one goal losses . . . . no one . Its not fatal but I like teams that find ways to win or tie when they shouldn't . . I'd feel much better about the Flames right now if in just one of those games some Flame had done something spectacular.

Comment

• To me the one goal losses considering how bad most of the team played is because of Kipper and Kipper alone.

And I think this team has the potential to score more than enough, which is why I don't consider it a gaping hole in how the team is built.

That's what we were talking about, remember -- how the teams were built, not how they were performing under the coaching staff.

Some teams overperformed to start the season (Edmonton for one), and it's catching up to them. Calgary's got a ton of potential, and it's largely Playfair's fault for not getting the team to play as a team, and to play well. The individual players are more than capable, they're just not being managed correctly.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Have you guys seen this video?

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

It's on Jamie McLennan w/ Roberto Luongo. It's funny.

Comment

• Now this is what I'm talking about with Toronto's D sucking.

In 1 period, they gave up 23 shots on goal...and only had 1 penalty to kill. They had 5 shots themselves.

Comment

• Habs score shorthanded AGAIN.

I look forward to penalties now.
                      Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

• So since the Habs won, and the Leafs lost, how is that for standings?

Are the Leafs in like, 4th? 10th?
                        Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ninot
                          Leafs lost
                          To Florida, nonetheless

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• The Leafs should get to play 50% more games than anybody else. Then they might have a chance of making the playoffs.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• The Blackhawks lost again.

Hey, they won't lose again for a week at the earliest!
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Why do they have a week off?
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X