This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Whaleboy

You're right about confusing the two; it is important to define a remit for both naturalism and supernaturalism.

I think you're in danger of leading an uneducated layman such as myself into thinking that you're suggesting a God in the Gaps argument; if the science of the day is insufficient to explain a phenomenon, and some people even give up and say "f*ck it, science won't work here", then religion should take over.

I don't honestly think that's what you'd say, so our difference would lie in the person who has said "f*ck it".

I would say that when you're saying "does something exist", you're asking an inherently empirical question, devoid of anything for the supernatural. I'd think you'd probably agree, since your argument seems to be one of a personal relationship with Jesus (correct me if I'm wrong here), which is heading into territory that I cannot follow into.
    I think the God of the Gaps reason was completely reasonable 300+ years ago.

It isn't really today.

Reasons today are as you said, personal relationship with Jesus Christ.. or use morality as Elok has.

I would like to note that even in the OT, it was all about relationship. The Jews worshiped the God that brought them out of egypt, the God of Abraham and Isaac. God that the abrahamic religions worship (well, I don't know much about Islam) has always been focused on your relationship with him. Not as an explanation for lightning or animals...

Jon Miller
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by DaShi
      I do see that the article I posted has been largely ignored by most of the aethiests here.
      It was long and boring, and your comments added nothing new. What did you expect?

Comment

• even in the OT, it was all about relationship
        Indeed!

Don't do such a terrible thing as sodomise these two angels; here, you can gang rape my daughters instead.

Luckily for Lot, the crowd was struck down with blindness, his wife was turned into a pillar of salt and he got laid by not one, but BOTH of his daughters!

Old Testament relationships...

Let's not forget, Lot was the one that God saved from Sodom
        "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
        "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

• Re: The God Delusion

Originally posted by Whaleboy
          I'm about half-way through Richard Dawkins' excellent new book, "The God Delusion". If his other books weren't enough to turn any of their readers into strong atheists (which in almost all cases I know of, they are), then this one surely is. In short, it's fantastic.

Knowing what we're like, I'm sure we'll probably end up discussing the contents, but that's not the purpose of this post.

I've come up with a very real moral problem.

So that's why I'm asking for advice on what to do.

Hmmmm, well as a fellow atheist I advise you do NOTHING. What is the point? I think people reach a certain point in their life when they figure they can make sense out of their reality. To confont such a person with an alternate reality would probably be quite emotionally harmful. I am reminded of the matrix...do you take the blue pill or the red pill? Similar to the matrix, some people are so far gone that they refuse to acknowledge the truth. So be it. Instead, comfort yourself with the knowledge that YOU know the truth. Since you are young and just starting out your adult life, you can work to change the world slowly, perhaps over time enlightening others along the way indirectly through positively helping the world.

Though I'm an atheist, I don' t go around bashing others religion, I know I'm right all right --- but what right do I have to deny what others believe in? Life is too short for that kind of nonsense. Instead I act to positively influence the world in other ways. One is not to contribute to perpetuating the whole god thing... but on a more subtle note, I live my life guided by my ethics and desire to improve the world in any way I can. Eh, it seems the logical choice

Comment

• Nor do I, it is just a bit of sport when I am on here
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• Originally posted by Provost Harrison
              Nor do I, it is just a bit of sport when I am on here
              The troll confesses!

Comment

• Over 500 posts... time for a new one.
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                X