No announcement yet.

War elephants.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a squad of war elephants or two is a must when playing "Rome Total War". A balanced and well used combination of elephants, some heavy infantry, a bunch of archers and some heavy artillery can defeat much bigger armies than your own.

(Now where is my 1+?)
    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

I find flaming arrows take down Mumakil pretty quickly in Battle for Middle Earth.
      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I've won many civ2 wars with elephants
        "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
        I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
        Middle East!

Comment

War elephants are afraid of fire. OTOH, people who have never seen elephants are even more afraid of war elephants. They were good at shocking infantry who hadn't seen them before, but disciplinely led troops quickly learned tricks to trap them. Funny how flaming arrows already came up, the only example I've read about was Romans using arrows set on fire.

Originally posted by snoopy369
          IIRC elephants were more useful as transportation (ie, Hannibal) than as actual cavalry types.
          He used them for troop transport? Sounds weird -- more info?

Originally posted by Heresson
          I've won many civ2 wars with elephants
          I usually go for Crusaders -- nothing funnier than surprising Kassiopeia's rapidly expanding, but badly defended (on an island, so makes sense early on) monarchy with few phalanxes by unloading four veteran crusaders from 2 tririmes right next to their 2nd most major city
          Last edited by RGBVideo; October 11, 2006, 01:32.

Comment

horses were terrified of elephants
            I need a foot massage

Comment

well yeah, men learn faster than horses do

and before the stirrup, men weren't really the only ones in charge of cavalry movement

edit: can this be moved to the history forum?

Comment

Transport sounds dubious to me, an elephant would need a wider path then a horse and elephants being large are proportionaly weaker (for the same enginering reasons that an ant can lift 100's of times its own weight). Add in the huge quantities of food and I'm fairly shure they are a big impediment to an army.

Shock value was ofcorse huge, from what I've heard the elephants were driven forward to trample and disrupt the enemy infantry formation, then your own infantry could mop up the disorganized troops. Romans countered this by simply opening up lanes in their formations. The elephant could not be controled to the point of making int trample men when their was a path of lesser resistance avalible to it. So they go right down the lane and cant be turned around. Romans did this in the battle of Zama (sp?) ware Hanibal was decisivly defeated by scipio Africanas.

If I had been Hanibal and for forsight of the roman tactics my counter would be to group the elephants in pairs and connect them with a heavy Iron chain about as long as the roman units were wide. As the elphants advance the chain sweeps along about a foot off the ground knocking, tripping up and otherwise disorganizing their ranks. Oh and the chain has sharpened blades and barbed wire like spikes on it as well.
                Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

put flammable material on it as well and set it on fire.

Comment

Well if its just dipped in oil then its would probaly burn off too fast and run out before contact with the enemy. Rather I would equip some of the Elephants with thouse little forts on their backs filled will Maltoph coctails and guys pitching them off the sides into the middle of the roman formations.
                    Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

This thread should be in the History Forum!
                      I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

or the civ4 forum.

Makes me think war elephants are rated too high in games such as civ3 and civ4. But if you make them weaker, there is no reason to build them.

Comment

Elephants were the most useful when they formed a solid , charging wall on a plane battlefield . Enemy troops would be totally crushed and trampled if a commander could manage an elephant wall charge .

Comment

I like the way that War Elephants in civ 4 require the ivory resource. Do you regenerate them from a tusk?
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
                              Elephants were the most useful when they formed a solid , charging wall on a plane battlefield . Enemy troops would be totally crushed and trampled if a commander could manage an elephant wall charge .
                              Perhaps they encountered the same problem that many of Hitlers Wunderwaffen (and more sophisticated tanks) had,
                              i.e. they were too rare (for example because they neeeded a long time to grow up and, of course, massive amounts of expensive food)

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                              I like the way that War Elephants in civ 4 require the ivory resource. Do you regenerate them from a tusk?
                              Yep,
                              stick it into the ground and water it well
                              and then, after a while, elephants will grow out of it
                              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                                I'd think the transportation aspect of a War Elephant would be the most compeling reason to use them. Especially in a jungle where they would be able to plow through the brush, instead of having to clear as you go.
                                Sure you're not thinking of Oliphaunts?
                                PHOENIXCAGER
                                The Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Working...
                                X