Zoran Cvrk defends human swastika & monkey chants as 'joke'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoran Cvrk defends human swastika & monkey chants as 'joke'

The Croatian FA are doing all they can to ensure a racism-free game, yet their head of security isn't 'on message', describing monkey chants as a joke.

Croatia's players will carry an anti-racism banner on to the pitch at the Maksimir Stadium tomorrow in a bid to reduce the risk of England's black players being abused. There will also be announcements asking the fans to behave, with Uefa issuing a warning that Croatia could have points deducted from their Euro 2008 qualifying group if there are serious problems.

Whether Uefa would ever take such action is debatable given their record for handing out relatively paltry fines, but the Football Association will be encouraged to hear the match is being closely monitored. Steve McClaren's players are braced for the worst and they will have mixed views about the statements from the Croatian football federation, whose head of security, Zoran Cvrk, described monkey chants as the fans' way of having a "joke."

"Croatian supporters can be wonderful, loyal supporters but from time to time there are groups who can produce a large scale of problems," said Cvrk. "We hope it won't happen in this match. We want to get the message across that we're part of football against racism. Occasionally, though, it does happen. It happens to Serbian players and there is also a totally unforgivable way of making a joke about players of different races. But it doesn't happen often."

Cvrk tried to defend the Croatian fans who formed a human swastika when the team played Italy in Livorno. "It was a crazy situation. There are plenty of left-wing supporters in Italy and our fans were being provoked. They were being called communists. It was a group of fewer than 150 people. They tried to be funny and make a joke with their bodies. They produced a swastika and that wasn't a pleasant experience for the Croatian football federation or the Croatian government."

Nor for Uefa. "There's no doubt we are paying particular attention to Croatia," said the Uefa spokesman William Gaillard. "They are on a warning because they were sanctioned after Euro 2004 for extremist banners and slogans. They were also sanctioned by Fifa after the game in Italy and some of the Croatia clubs have been sanctioned because of incidents in the Uefa Cup. Our match delegate on Wednesday is very aware this should be closely watched. If there are any problems we can take many different sanctions, ranging from a fine to points being deducted and, in the most extreme cases, the team being removed from the competition."

Cvrk was unwilling to give assurances the match would pass without incident but he said the problems were not as bad as perceived. "In recent years there are many more black players in Croatia, which has helped the supporters understand. It's a much better situation now than before the so-called coloured players came in."

Er, who cares.
    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

The swastika is a symobl of good luck and positivity .

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
        The swastika is a symobl of good luck and positivity .
        Is that all? I'm not sure the people who did it were wishing their opponents good luck, somehow.

Comment

Who gives a **** about what stupid FIFA / UEFA bureaucrats want. I certainly don't and I wish Croatian football organizations and clubs would stop apologizing for what fans do. If someone is shocked by a swastika on a football stadium, it's his problem, not mine and not of Croatian football. Never heard of that Cvrk guy either.

Comment

What about monkey chants, Vet? Are they ok too?

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus

Is that all? I'm not sure the people who did it were wishing their opponents good luck, somehow.
              It has different meanings in different contexts , specially in Europe .

Comment

Laugh it off. As a joke, it's sorely lacking.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Fans will do anything to add some spice to that boring ass sport.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Well, that's a good point.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I don't recall any problems in the same stadium when Arsenal played a Champions League game there recently, so hopefully tomorrow nights game will be all about what happens on the pitch.

Croatian fans actually have no need to try and unsettle the English players anyway, as their team is probably good enough to beat England comfortably.

Spanish fans did manage to unsettle one or two of England's black players with racist chanting a while back, which certainly affected the quality of the game.

Comment

Thank goodness nobody consider 'Eeyore Heskey' racist.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Spanish fans did manage to unsettle one or two of England's black players with racist chanting a while back, which certainly affected the quality of the game.

What, that stuff actually works?? Then I'm all for it

BTW., I don't know if you were sarcastic or what, our team is actually crap. Beating Andorra 7:0 is not something to brag about.

Hopefully we beat the English and then we can get drunk with any Irishmen that happen to be in the city

Comment

Croatia are favourites in many people's eyes over here. They have a good home record in qualifiers, and England are playing badly at the moment. The Irish have big problems too, but it's the Scots you want to have a drink with. They hate England more than anyone and have just beaten France themselves.

Comment

We like 'em both, but the English we don't like

Although, Croatian football fans have modelled themselves on the English. Not the modern sissy "take your grandma to the game" model, but the hooligan stuff. Fans of Dinamo, one of the two biggest clubs, call themselves "Bad Blue Boys" and are modelled on Chelsea fans from the 70s or 80s.

Comment

Working...
                              X