Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Expression of faith or exploitation of the poor ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expression of faith or exploitation of the poor ?

A beggar , who had been begging outside a temple for over thirty years , gave away the amount she had saved over those thirty years of begging to that same temple . Is this an expression of faith , or of faith leading to exploitation ?

Link

Aged beggar's `rich' service to Lord

M.V. Subramanyam

Donates 30 years of earnings of Rs. 3.50 lakhs to Venkateswara temple at Devunikadapa

HEART OF GOLD: Beggar-turned philanthropist Lakshmamma.

KADAPA: The frail septuagenarian woman seeks alms for a living, but is a philanthropist in her own right. She has already contributed her three-decade earnings of Rs. 3.50 lakhs to Lord Venkateswara.

Lakshmamma (75) has been seeking alms at the entrance of Sri Lakshmi Venkateswara temple at Devunikadapa for the last three decades since her estrangement with her husband. She has contributed Rs. 3.50 lakhs she earned to the temple for improving amenities for devotees thronging the temple!

She has donated the money for constructing a polished stone platform near the `gali gopuram,' erecting door frames at the main entrance, south and north entrance, laying pipes for queue complex and fencing for a well on the temple premises. She was a housewife in Kadiri of Anantapur district until her husband deserted her 30 years ago. Left to fend for herself, she took to begging near theSri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy temple in Kadiri. She donated all her earnings to the temple and organised discourses on `Ramayanam' for three months. She later moved to Kadapa and began begging near the Venkateswara Swamy temple.

Lakshmamma recalls that she went without food for a fortnight on coming to Kadapa. A devotee, Rajanna, offered her work as a maidservant in their house at Yerramukkapalle here. She worked in their house for some time but went back to the temple seeking alms. She used to sleep near the temple and the prasadam of the temple was her food.

Felicitated by people

She sweeps the temple premises daily before the priests and devotees turn up. But now, she is bed-ridden with a recent leg fracture and stays in the temple choultry. On coming to know about Lakshmamma's contribution, people of Yerramukkapalle felicitated her by presenting her a shawl and garlanding her. Women presented her saris.
    There is layer upon layer of complexity in this .

Had the temple not existed , she could not have begged in front of it and gotten that money which she donated . She also depended on the temple for food - the article states that the temple's ritual offering ( prasadam ) was her food . And by donating that money , she has effectively immortalised herself ( by constructing that platform , which remains as long as the temple does ) .

So is this an act of the greatest faith and brotherhood , or is it falth leading to exploitation ?
    A great expression of faith
    50.00%
    An example of exploitation
    40.00%
    Donate Bananas !
    10.00%

Unnacustomed as I am to offering religious advice, I would suggest that the donation should be considered discreet, and she should get no plaque, or credit, or immortalisation.

Other than that, I don't really see the problem.

Comment

When I say immortal , it means that her contribution ( in the form of the improvements and the platform ) will remain with the temple forever , not her name . Temples do not name or commemmorate their benefactors .

Comment

Expression of faith.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Didn't Jesus tell a story similar to this?
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Bethel University has been a leader in Christian higher education since 1871. Come see why we're one of the most comprehensive Christian universities in the world!
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Well if she did it because she loves her church and God then its an expression of faith. If she did it because she felt that if she didn't she'd spend an eternity in hell and/or some other such notion then it's exploitation.

So to summarise its expression of faith which should be fairly obvious, afterall it's a donation.

Comment

Couldn't it be both an expression of faith and an example of exploitation?
                Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Flip McWho
                  Well if she did it because she loves her church and God then its an expression of faith. If she did it because she felt that if she didn't she'd spend an eternity in hell and/or some other such notion then it's exploitation.

So to summarise its expression of faith which should be fairly obvious, afterall it's a donation.
                  I absolutely agree with this
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

If there was some prior agreement between her and the temple then it would have been exploitation.

How much is 3.5 lakh?
                    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I have no idea how much money this is.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Sounds like a lot of money when you look at the many things which, according to the article, will be done with the money (besides erecting the platform).
                        (At least if, as I assume, the money pays these things in full and isn´t just one of many donations for this cause)

She has donated the money for constructing a polished stone platform near the `gali gopuram,' erecting door frames at the main entrance, south and north entrance, laying pipes for queue complex and fencing for a well on the temple premises.
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

3,5 Lakh => $US 7,600

In some parts, that's quite enough to build a decent house.
                          I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

Maybe in the Appalachian mountains.

Comment

Just don't start about the damn mountains, 'kay?

I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

Working...
                              X