Muslim girl tops Sanskrit examination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muslim girl tops Sanskrit examination

Damn impressive ! I commend her guts . Now that she's hit the news , some or the other Mullah is going to declare a fatwa saying that , as Sanskrit is a Hindu religious language and shlokas are Hindu and religious in nature , she should stop it . But given the fact that she's gone this far , I'd say she should continue , and I hope she does .

Of course , learning the Divine Language , the Language of the Gods , ensures that she will not become a fundamentalist ever again . It exposes you too much to what ancient and medieval India was like to become close-minded - your horizon is widened far too much to ever shrink into a fundamenatlist pattern .

But kudos to her for this achievement ! There should be more people like her among the Muslims ( and , needless to say , among everyone else in India , too ) !

Link

Muslim girl tops Sanskrit PG exam

P K SURENDRAN
    [ 6 Oct, 2006 0123hrs ISTTIMES NEWS NETWORK ]

NAVAIKULAM: At a time when inspiring lyrics like Vande Mataram are branded communal, a Muslim girl who opted for Sanskrit has topped the Kerala University MA (Sanskrit) exam in 2006.

Shajeena S notched up 79% and is the first Muslim topper in the university's history.

The 24-year-old is the second of three daughters of Shahul Hamid, a poor labourer from Navaikulam. She took up Sanskrit three years ago.

"She is a very bright and sincere student," says Shajeena's teacher R Nirmala. Did Shajeena confront any resistance from community leaders or from her parents?

"Not really," she says, adding, "my parents agreed when I told them I want to learn Sanskrit. When I topped the university exam, my ustad in the community asked for sweets."

Though some people ask her why she didn't take up Arabic for higher studies, she tells them that Sanskrit is the most apt language for Indians since most Indian languages are offshoots of Sanskrit.

"Besides, it also offers better job opportunities," she says. Shajeena recites Sanskrit slokas at home. "Nobody at home understands them though," she smiles.

"But they say it sounds melodious when intoned in a low pitch. The Sanskrit language is poetic. There is rhythm in every syllable."

She dreams of launching a Sanskrit publication, which can help Sanskrit lovers in India give vent to their creativity. She swears that she will teach her children this rich language.

"It's a shame this beautiful language is reduced to a Cinderella in her own land," she says.
    That's the way to go ! If she does manage to start her publication , I'll definitely spread the word .

She should try finnish next.
    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Why the **** would anybody learn Sanskrit?
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

[Insert obligatory origins of Hindu civilization comment here]
        Last edited by Darius871; October 6, 2006, 10:03.
        Unbelievable!

Comment

The above two posts are just perfect - she can learn Sanskrit so that she can learn more about the origins of Hindu civilisation !

Anyway - learning Sanskrit opens to you the vast world of Indian philosophy , religion , and the great literature of India , which is all in Sanskrit . A great deal of non-religious literature , such as Kalidasa's plays and poetry , which probably have no parallel in the world, are in Sanskrit . All "important" cultural things in India are in Sanskrit . To really understand the soul of India , it is necessary to know Sanskrit .

Comment

learning Sanskrit opens to you the vast world of Indian philosophy , religion , and the great literature of India

Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Shajeena

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                learning Sanskrit opens to you the vast world of Indian philosophy , religion , and the great literature of India

The same reason somebody would want to learn Latin or Greek ? And because this girl is from India ?

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                  Shajeena

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm

The same reason somebody would want to learn Latin or Greek ? And because this girl is from India ?
                    Whooosh
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
                      To really understand the soul of India , it is necessary to know Sanskrit .
                      ... and the space bar.
                      Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                      1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Donegeal
                        ... and the space bar.
                        Don't generalise
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Aneeshm, given your usual attitude toward Muslims and generally anything non-Indian, I find your extreme praise for this girl disturbing. It reaks of overcompensation.

So, don't you worry that it may be that Muslims could be better at Sanskrit than Indians, given the origins of Hindu civilization and all?
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

This girl is learning freedom
                            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

French?
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X