No announcement yet.

Violence in the N F L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So barely missing the eye is worse than potentially paralysing someone?

Comment

BTW, it looked to me as if Haynesworth stomped the helmet off and then kicked. If he'd stomped with his helmet off, I would have expected the Dallas players to attack him. I would have if someone had done it to one of my team mates when I played football in high school. It's entirely possible that while he was being a total dick, and stomping on his helmet, he was not aware it had fallen off when he went for the kick.

I don't know, but he wasn't looking down from what I could see.

As for charges, a lot of assault and battery goes on in games that never gets charged. When was tha last time you saw charges brought in a brawl?
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever
        So barely missing the eye is worse than potentially paralysing someone?
        I doubt a slam down on the shoulder would have paralyzed McMahon. Now if he slammed him on his head, that's a different story.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

it looked to me as if Haynesworth stomped the helmet off and then kicked.

Yep, there were two kicks.. stomping the helmet off and then the stomp on the head.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

The difference being, one was a stop from above, which is very powerful, and the second was a kick from the side, but I've only seen the Yutube video linked in this thread, and no other angles.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              I doubt a slam down on the shoulder would have paralyzed McMahon. Now if he slammed him on his head, that's a different story.

He could have broken his neck. That Martin was ever allowed to play again was a great shame.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                The difference being, one was a stop from above, which is very powerful, and the second was a kick from the side, but I've only seen the Yutube video linked in this thread, and no other angles.
                Look at it again. The stomp to the head was from above. And he was looking down. Haynesworth is #92 btw if you mistook him. It's 1:53 on the main YouTube link.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                  That Martin was ever allowed to play again was a great shame.
                  Same with Haynesworth. Though I guess they are scared of the NFLPA... even though they are mostly broken they still have some power.

The NFL doesn't seem to want to "really" suspend its players for anything other than drugs. It's a joke that Martin got 2 games and Haynesworth got 5 games.... another reason that to get true justice, you may have to take them to court.

Though at least Haynesworth seems to be remorseful.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

You have an amazing ability to either not read others' posts or to simply not register them. Please make a case for how the person on the other side of the net has acted with reckless disregard or willfully and deliberately hurt you by landing on your ankle.
                    becasue the ***** did it on purpose, what part didnt i make clear? It was intent to get me out of the game. And i ask you am i allowed to sue? Should i be since this is a freaking game? and get the da involved cause i now got a broken ankle?
                    When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                    "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                    Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

• It's not a mattter of which was worse, it's a matter of acceptable conduct or not. Clearly this was not, and neither was McMahon's.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrs. Tuberski
                        becasue the ***** did it on purpose, what part didnt i make clear? It was intent to get me out of the game. And i ask you am i allowed to sue? Should i be since this is a freaking game? and get the da involved cause i now got a broken ankle?
                        You didn't make clear that the other person did it on purpose (I can quote you again if you like). If you can prove she did it on purpose to deliberately injure you or with reckless disregard for you, which would be just about impossible if she was doing a game move (a jump for a spike) and came down on your ankle, then go right ahead.

I don't think you'll be able to prove it, especially if she was doing a move in the game. The defense is, I didn't mean it I was just jumping and came down awkwardly, which would work for both deliberate and willful or reckless disregard, unless she came over to your side of the net and kicked your ankle or something.

I don't think you realize what a hard standard it is to prove deliberateness or reckless disregard. You really have to be out of what occurs in a normal game, like if she came over to your side and kicked you in the ankle. Not simply coming down on your ankle from her side of the net.

And you are allowed to sue for anything. It's winning that is the question. And without any other proof than you thought she was, your case will probably be tossed out.

Comment

• I think 5 games is sufficient. The fact of the matter is, football is not real world. The games are heated. It's a violent game. things get out of control sometimes. Guys do things on the field they would never do in real life.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

You didn't make clear that the other person did it on purpose (I can quote you again if you like). If you can prove she did it on purpose to deliberately injure you or with reckless disregard for you, which would be just about impossible if she was doing a game move (a jump for a spike) and came down on your ankle, then go right ahead.
                            Here, let me do it for you:

Originally posted by Mrs. Tuberski
                            So and in all honesty, i go into a sand volley ball league for fun and the person on the other side of the net comes down on my ankle which they did and i can sue
                            hell yeah were do i sign up? cause i wasnt smart enough to know when i signed up with my league that i could be hurt on purpose and that the team and the park cover their own behinds
                            Seems, that you can't read either.

The point the Mrs. is trying to make in this thread, is that you can't pick and choose what is assault and what is not. Either every finable offense is assault or they aren't.

Here's an example:

Akers fined

The NFL fined Eagles kicker David Akers and two New York Giants $5,000 for the altercation that took place on the visitors' sideline after the opening kickoff Sunday at Lincoln Financial Field.

Akers' agent, Jerrold Colton, said his client plans to appeal the fine.

Running back Brandon Jacobs and offensive tackle Luke Petitgout were the Giants hit with fines. The incident occurred when Akers was pushed from behind by Jacobs and ran into Charles Way, the Giants' director of programs. Petitgout immediately grabbed Akers, and Jacobs pushed him from behind.

Asked by New York reporters about the fine, Jacobs indicated it was worth it because the Giants were upset about Akers' running into Way. Akers placed a phone call to Way, a former Giants fullback who attended Northeast High.

"I just wanted him to know I did not intentionally run into him," Akers said. "He was cool about it."

Petitgout said Akers was trying to be a "punk" by taking a "cheap shot" at Way.

Jacobs knocked him down, assaulted him, but no charges were filed, even though he did assault him.

The degree of damage done shouldn't be a guide to whether or not someone is prosecuted.

Plus, the DA won't file charges because it's an election year.

ACK!
                            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• That's not the same.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Imran how do u think she landed on my ankle?? i let it out ther for her and said please jump on it or the fact that i was lead blocker and the team wanted me out of the game, Do u think she just kind went under then net and said im sorry and i was ok? Well thats what happened, but. Im just courious as to what u think deserves da attention.
                                When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                                "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                                Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X