Violence in the N F L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
    let's stop with the sports threads now, okay?
    Unless they are football.
    Awesome Comrade, simply awesome.

This was not "Football" it was an aggravated assault"
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll

How about the dads that attack coaches in an a game?

Thats "in a game"?
      They are both none participants. It's not "in a game".

Comment

I'm not denying this sort of thing needs to be stopped and punished straight away but let the commissions deal with it If you let the justice system into it you are opening Pandoras box. We've had this in the UK, it starts off with valid on the field complaints (headbuts, punches etc,) and end up with a player being reported to police for "causing distress" or "incitement to cause riot" because he celebrated a goal in front of the oppositions fans.

I almost hope you hand wringers get your way.....man up FFS!!

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever

I almost hope you hand wringers get your way.....
          Who and what is a Hand wringer?

Comment

Who and what is a Hand wringer?
            Like an old woman who moans, tuts and worries about things.

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever

Like an old woman who moans, tuts and worries about things.
              That tells me "what" a hand wringer is but who here is..um..as you put it, "worrying,tuts or moaning"?

For we are giving opinions, on American Football as in the OP N F L Violence..not European Football or English Football..

Gramps

Comment

You never heard of that? I'm out here in Texas, and I even know that.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

That tells me "what" a hand wringer is but who here is..um..as you put it, "worrying,tuts or moaning"?

For we are giving opinions, on American Football as in the OP N F L Violence..not European Football or English Football..

Gramps
                  You just seem a bit keen to get your justice systems involved in "on the pitch" NFL business. Once they are in a precedent has been set and you can't get the buggers out.

As I've said, keep the matter "in house", it's better in the long run. We've been there and done it.

Comment

keep the matter "in house"

No.

This has absolutely no business being just handled "in house". Football players don't consent to get their helmets ripped off and being stomped on in the head after a play is over. Sports aren't above the laws of the land. There is no reason that this shouldn't be dealt with in the courts. Especially not for some "slippery slope" reason that is really kind of silly considering the sort of action this was.

I mean Marty McSorely was prosecuted in courts for swinging a stick like a weapon at another player and you haven't seen "the floodgates open".
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      and you haven't seen "the floodgates open".
                      I hope you are right. "We've" gone from legitimate complaints such as headbutting and punches causing broken jaws to "in game" tackles being referred to the police for prosecution.

Comment

Well, aside from the fact tackles are a main part of the American football game, I don't think they are going to get to that point any time soon . The common law in sporting events is that you consent to actions that are within the scope of the game. So even a late tackle would apply. Something like using your cleat on someone's head after a play, wouldn't though.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

There are written rules. I'm pretty sure stomping a guy's face and kicking him.. AH HA! Kicking a player is against the rules for sure.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Against the rules is one thing, Sloww... but being within the scope of the game is entirely different thing. Scope of the game is stuff that you can foresee. If you get kicked once in a fight over a tackle in a game, you won't be able to sue for that. But what he did was so beyond the rules.

It isn't just violating the rules, because THAT would lead to what reds is warning about (could you imagine someone suing based on a late hit?)

Comment

The EPL has seen outside prosecutions based on (admittedly quiet bad) tackles that were made during in a game (maybe akin to a late hit in your game, where's the line between a bad late hit and an assault?)

Just be warned....;O)

Comment

wouldn't have been so bad if he had his helmet on. But without the helmet and the fact it was after the play ended (as seen on the video) sums it up pretty well.

Comment

Working...
                                X