Violence in the N F L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Violence in the N F L

I love football and see no problem with hard clean hits or even hits that are unavoidable.

I do however have a real problem with Violence, as played out by this Titan .

I think he got off with a slap on the wrist.

I think criminal charges of assault Should be filed as well.

This is not a flagrant Helmet to Helmet hit, this is way beyond that!

I grew up in Maine, a New England fan back when Jim Plunkett, Randy Vataha and Darryl Stingley whom you can read a short and touching story of here.

Viscious hits are a part of the game, however malicious,viscious hits should not be tolerated nor accepted..

Gramps
    No-They should be punished promptly and with a Heavy Hand!
    64.71%
    Yes, it is part of the price to pay in a mans physical sport of encounters
    11.76%
    N F L should just let players have at it on the field, let individual teams police their teams
    11.76%
    Cut the banana off the guilty parties tree
    11.76%
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

A hard and legal hit doesn't pertain to the incident you mentioned. That was assault.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Hockey > Football
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I'm still mad about when the Packers ******* picked McMahon up and threw him down on his bad shoulder, and that happened 20 years ago.
        Last edited by chequita guevara; October 2, 2006, 19:54.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Here's the video. Seems pretty weak. That's just a cheap shot.. and a guy that big can do pretty bad damage even though not swinging for his life. If I was deciding, I'd say criminal court, here we go.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I heard the man got 20-30 stitches.

The aggressor should have been taken out for the rest of the season as an example.

Although I guess having the "Longest Suspension in NFL History" is a pretty good example.
            "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
            ^ The Poly equivalent of:
            "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

It would be up to the local DAs office to determine whether or not to press charges, but I doubt they will. Unsportsman-like conduct is handled internally.

Five games for that!?! The guy who broke McMahon's shoulder and damaged his career permanently only got a three game suspension.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                A hard and legal hit doesn't pertain to the incident you mentioned. That was assault.
                Exactly!

And yes I do wish the D A would take over and arrest this animal and charge him!

Gramps

Comment

In a typically hard-fought and dirty contest against the Green Bay Packers in November McMahon's mouth got him in more trouble than he ever bargained for. Packer's defensive lineman Charles Martin proudly displayed a handtowel in pregame warmups with the numbers of Bears stars listed on it, and claimed it was a "hit list" for the game. Martin was allowed to wear the towel in the game, and after a McMahon interception he sauntered over to the quarterback from behind, grabbed McMahon and body slammed him into the rock-hard artificial turf. Pandemonium ensued as the play was one of the most blatantly illegal in NFL history. Bears players attended to the stunned and injured McMahon as fights broke out and Martin was ejected. The crowd and the Bears players and staff were incensed, and the Packers bravado began to falter. McMahon suffered a separated shoulder which ended his season. The war-like Bears defense showed no mercy on the ensuing drive, as the Packers suffered losses on three consecutive plays, then sustained a blocked punt resulting in a touchdown. The Bears went on to win the game. Martin died in 2005 of a kidney disease.

A similar scenario occurred in 1988 at New England when a Patriots defender twisted McMahon's knee and ended his regular season. The play was widely held to have been an intentional and illegal act but no action was taken by the NFL.

Comment

while I agree that the titan involved was wrong, i also have to look and think this is a contact sport. Pure entertainment, and that these fellows are getting paid millions of dollars a year to play. What this guy did was wrong and from what i understand aplogized to the guy and the league for his reckless behavior. My question is where do u draw the line at asault in a contact sport to fueld by heat of the moment? If i recall correctly LT wasnt supended or fined when he ended thiesmans career with that leg breaking heard around the world. And i think now in todays football and the rules LT would have been fined.
                    The other thing is i havent heard the dallas center whine about what happened, i have heard more from parcells and Bledsoe about the incident.
                    When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                    "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                    Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Tuberski
                      while I agree that the titan involved was wrong, i also have to look and think this is a contact sport. Pure entertainment, and that these fellows are getting paid millions of dollars a year to play. What this guy did was wrong and from what i understand aplogized to the guy and the league for his reckless behavior. My question is where do u draw the line at asault in a contact sport to fueld by heat of the moment? If i recall correctly LT wasnt supended or fined when he ended thiesmans career with that leg breaking heard around the world. And i think now in todays football and the rules LT would have been fined.
                      The other thing is i havent heard the dallas center whine about what happened, i have heard more from parcells and Bledsoe about the incident.
                      Mrs T, LT was an entirely different situation, Harry Carson flushed Theisman out and LT was going for the sack and snapped his leg

That was violent but not a malicious hit which was was Titans Animal did in OP subject

Comment

I've seen worse.

Comment

People in sports, including contact sports are not out of the reach of criminal justice.
                          In da butt.
                          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I agree with Gramps. This was beyond the scope of the game. A hard hit that breaks a bone is a far cry from stomping on another player's head with a cleat. Haynesworth should have battery charges filed against him.

And it was worse than the hit on McMahon, IMO.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                              People in sports, including contact sports are not out of the reach of criminal justice.
                              yes, thanks Pekka

this was my point about the thread

I am a football fan, this is a violent game

I am against maliscious intent

Comment

Working...
                              X