Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the most famous motor race in the world?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moto Sapiens.

Comment

Rally Finnskog
      CSPA

Comment

Daytona 500?

Sorry, no-one outside of the US understands NASCAR, let alone could name a race.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
          Steve McQueen was in a movie about LeMans.
          and James Garner was in a movie about Monaco.

Comment

and Paul Newman owns half of the top Champ Car team.

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
              Voted Monaco, but I don't hold it in high regard because of few overtakings taking place there. Although, there have been some memorable ones in recent years.

Local TV stations don't carry the American races. Eurosport does but all I ever catch on it is curling and cycling
              The best thing about Monaco is the in-car footage. The scenery rushing by and the close walls are awesome. The races are often processions, but there has been some overtaking at the chicane after the tunnel recently. There is the high attrition, as one error and you're into the wall - no run-off areas to recover in. This can add some unpredictability to the outcome, and cars lower down the grid get a chance to score some points.

For American racing, I like both open-wheel formulas (IRL and Champcar) but until they resolve the split and reunify, NASCAR will reign supreme in the US. I've tried watching NASCAR but I find it hard to follow. I also think the cars look ugly, sound rough, and lack the special thrill of open-wheelers on ovals - which is why I love the IRL and the Indy 500.

As long as NASCAR has its hill-billy image abroad, the Daytona 400 will not be a world-famous race, though the injection of Juan-Pablo Montoya and Jacques Villeneuve may generate more interest. If my favourite driver, Dan Wheldon (Indy 500 Champion 2005) switches to NASCAR, I'll definitely be following it closely though.

I voted here for the Indy 500, because of its history, but consider the Monaco GP to be quite close. I actually wish Monaco was less famous, because I hate the celebs who know nothing about the sport all pouring in to 'be seen' there. Yuk.

So far the poll has Indy and Monaco very close, which seems about right. Interesting that the Bratislava Banana Challenge is more famous than Le Mans, though not surprising seeing as endurance racing is so boring. The people who go every year just do so to party. I don't think they pay much attention to the race.

Comment

I like both open-wheel formulas (IRL and Champcar) but until they resolve the split and reunify, NASCAR will reign supreme in the US.

Even if the split is resolved, NASCAR will reign supreme among American motor sports. It is already the #2 sport in terms of TV ratings (after American football).
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Indy 500

He said in the world you dimwitts, not in the US.

I'd say 24 hour Lemans...Close, but not Monaco...

Why isn't Paris Dakkar in the poll

Spec.
                  -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Spec, the Indy 500 is a world famous race, and not just in the US.

Comment

Sure.

Spec.
                      -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Don't trust a Londoner on whether the Indy 500 is known outside the US or anything
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                          Don't trust a Londoner on whether the Indy 500 is known outside the US or anything
                          There's a difference between "known outside the US" and "world famous"
                          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Imo, the Indy 500 doesn't belong in the poll.

Many races should be there instead of the Indy 500.

Woohoo, circles!

Spec.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

There's a difference between "known outside the US" and "world famous"

QFT!!

Spec.

Comment

Spec, stop making a fool of yourself, and type 'Most famous motor race in the world' into Google. Amongst the articles there are numerous references to the three I put in the poll, and not a single reference to the sodding Paris-Dakkar rally, or the Toronto Turnpike or whatever else you think is big news in motor racing.

Here's an example - from the Castrol web site :

18-19 June 2005, Le Mans
                                The world's most famous race
                                The spiritual home of sportscar racing, Le Mans is traditionally regarded as one of the three jewels in the crown of world motor racing, alongside the Monaco Grand Prix and the Indianapolis 500.

Anyway, now Jacques Villeneuve is in Nascar, I'm surprised you didn't join the small band of Daytona voters.

Comment

Working...
                                X