Clear All

• You're a better man than I, then.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by MRT144
      i believe in people and the power to change
      Having seen only one real transformation on these boards, that of one particular individual going from sane to off the deep end conspiracy theorist, what gives you this hope?
      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Originally posted by Cort Haus
        Jimi is one of the reasons why that those people who voted for the 60's as worst decade are being silly.
        Read the question. It is not what is the worse decade for music. It is what is the decade which had the worse music.

The Low point is what is being asked, not the mean or high point.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• I re-read the original post and I didn't see how Dis made it clear that he his looking for which decade had the worst song ever (the natural conclusion of your 'low point').

Such a discussion would be worthless, and the 70's would win hands down for being the decade where "I've got a brand new combine harvester" was released.

Comment

• Dis hasn't had a clear thought in his entire life.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• The 90's, without a doubt. While the ''00's are looking bleak, that's largely because there's a significant lag till great underground music becomes popularized.
              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
              -Bokonon

Comment

• I don't think any 80's listing is complete without The Replacements, my favorite 80's band. 3 incredible albums, tim, let it be, and pleased to meet me, and a few other decent tracks before and after.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe

Having seen only one real transformation on these boards, that of one particular individual going from sane to off the deep end conspiracy theorist, what gives you this hope?
                  I give myself hope? And Spec settling down a little. And KH getting married. And Drake and DinoDoc not being republican apologists anymore...

the kingdom of heaven is upon us!
                  "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                  'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• I'm not a Republican apologist so much as a contrarian. I'd probably be defending the Dems if I was posting on a board as monolithically conservative as Poly is monolithically liberal.
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by MRT144
                      molly if itll shut you up and stop wasting your time and effort ill admit to this.

electronic dance music. youre never going to convince me that the 70s were when electronic music broke through in America but certainly it was the 80s where edm did.
                      And there we have the crux of the matter.

There is a world outside of America, dear heart, where music is produced and is listened to.

And oddly enough even in that statement, you're still doing the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and going 'blah blah blah', unless of course you imagine that Afrika Bambaataa was lying when he said:

" I don't think they even knew how big they were among the black masses back in 1977, when they came out with 'Trans-Europe Express'. When that came out, I thought that was one of the best and weirdest records I ever heard in my life.'"
                      Now that's the man who made 'Planet Rock', and who also happens to be both black and American.

Do you think he knows more about the popularity of electronic dance music with black Americans in 1977 than you do ?

I'd say so.

1978, New York City. Dead summer. The city was always public but an inescapable heat sends folks out of their apartments and amplifies the streets' activity. The buzz surrounding hip-hop has already escaped via mixed tapes aired on boomboxes to Manhattan's attention. But it is here in its birthplace, the South Bronx, where Afrika Bambaataa and his crew of diasporic black youth known as the Zulu Nation have gathered to celebrate the new sensation.

Bambaataa switches from Olatunji's drumming to the Monkees to James Brown in the course of a few songs, ending up on Kraftwerk's electronic epic "Trans-Europe Express".

Afrika Bambaataa again:

I'd say 750,000 people at the time were waiting for a black Kraftwerk sound to emerge.

Even leaving aside Afrika Bambaataa and hip-hop, what on earth do you think produced all those handclaps, synthesized strings and horn sections and drum machine sounds on disco and 12" remixes in the 70s ?

Electronics.

and furthermore youve been nothing but a pedant ******* that would rather try to make people look inferior to you rather than actually strive for an improved understanding of what people mean.

Ah, how nice. So far I'd say I've exerted little effort to make you look inferior. I've just supplied you with information. Ignore it, don't ignore it. Your option.

Now I took your words at face value; when you say stuff like:

the 80s introduced electronic music.
                      how exactly am I meant to interpret that ?

Apparently after several posts I'm meant to believe that what you actually intended was something like:

'the electronic dance music produced in America in the early to mid-80s that MRT144 happens to be familiar with.'

Well, fancy not getting all that from your initial post.

instead of suggesting alternate meanings and views of what introduced could have meant, you wrapped your tiny mind around a factual arguement, not a semantical one.
                      Imagine- addressing 'facts' in an argument !

Who'd have thought of doing such a revolutionary thing.... ...well not you, evidently.

youre not only intellectually dishonest, youre also incapable of engaging in intellectual exploration of an idea because you refuse to let go of your own dogmatic beliefs on any issue. rather than clarify you pat yourself on the back for being "right" when all you have really have done is indulged yourself.

so this leads me to believe youre either an ass, a gentile, or a broken man who gets his sole pleasure in life from trying to put others down.
                      Do indicate where I'm supposedly being intellectually dishonest- with direct quotes, not paraphrases.

So far the only one who seems incapable of exploring outside the somewhat limited world of their own musical experience is you.

By the way, do you also think feeble insults are a substitute for logical argument or facts ?

They aren't you know...

if you want to believe that electronic music had a huge breakthrough in the 70s then lets try and explore why you think that. citing articles does nothing to further the arguement. you are parroting what others believe without actually applying yourself.

Oh for...

Look- you've had pictures of the Grammy award winning records, you've had chart positions, you've had the words of the artists themselves, you've had websites, dates - if you choose to close your eyes and shut your ears to information that contradicts your parochial view of what electronic music was and is, then that's your hard luck.

its when most americans became aware of it and participated in it.
                      Oh, so that's what counts ? Get a grip.

I have the benefit of not experiencing it in person, but look at historical documents, what other people say, and all manner of evidence that doesnt cloud my objectivity.

Is that the same person who said :

...citing articles does nothing to further the arguement. you are parroting what others believe without actually applying yourself.
                      as a criticism of me ? Oh yes, why so it is.

youre still a pedant ******* and always will be. but im sure youll drink to that.
                      You're too kind, really.

which was my point. do 20 odd artists really make a genre? do a few #1s really mean mainstream?
                      Amazing how you manage to change your position from your initial post...

I hope you weren't surprised by this.
                      Drake Tungsten

Aaah. Just as I wasn't by your little bile bean.

You're a better man than I, then.
                      Not saying much there...
                      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                        I'm not a Republican apologist so much as a contrarian. I'd probably be defending the Dems if I was posting on a board as monolithically conservative as Poly is monolithically liberal.
                        You and I are obviously of similar views, mi amigo. By shear virtue of criticizing Dems you get labeled as a Neocon a Repug etc.
                        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• MRT144, the year electronic music broke through to the masses was 1973. The Album that did it: Dark Side of the Moon.

'nuff said
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• on-topic: afaik, 80s sucked the most

Originally posted by MRT144
                            and furthermore youve been nothing but a pedant ******* that would rather try to make people look inferior to you rather than actually strive for an improved understanding of what people mean. instead of suggesting alternate meanings and views of what introduced could have meant, you wrapped your tiny mind around a factual arguement, not a semantical one. andevery attempt i made to clarify the language was met with arguement ad naseum like some poor autistic that just hits his head against the door wondering why it wont open.

youre not only intellectually dishonest, youre also incapable of engaging in intellectual exploration of an idea because you refuse to let go of your own dogmatic beliefs on any issue. rather than clarify you pat yourself on the back for being "right" when all you have really have done is indulged yourself.
                            Congratulations, you've just succesfully summed up every post of molly bloom. Now it's time to discover the joys of Apolyton's Ignore-function.

Comment

• You and I are obviously of similar views, mi amigo. By shear virtue of criticizing Dems you get labeled as a Neocon a Repug etc.

"By shear virtue" of criticizing Dems, no.
                              "By shear virtue" of all the time criticizing Dems with Republican talking points and conspiracy theories which are and have been repeatedly proven false, yes.

Comment

• conspiracy theories which are and have been repeatedly proven false, yes.

What are you talking about?
                                KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X