X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
    Does quitab/kitab mean book?
    yes.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Maybe arabs just speak loud
      it is so

yes. it's kitab (kitaab)

i\d have to check that "heretic" thing. But I can't do it on this computer. I can't load it.
      I guess they have a single word for heretic and atheist, as usual. One word can mean 100 things, even opposite.
      "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
      I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
      Middle East!

Comment

My understanding has always been that

Apostate: Was in the religion, has since renounced it
        Heathen: Carries vague meaning of "unbeliever," adopted proudly by various groups, who the hell knows what it means now.
        Heretic: One who endorses a deviant form of accepted beliefs, such as by syncretism.
        Infidel: Same as "heathen," only stronger and more popular w/Muslims.
        Pagan: Not very precise, but generally refers to non-Judeo-Christians or pantheists.

I haven't seen this film (I have limited bandwidth), but if this woman is an atheist I doubt she qualifies as either a "heretic" or a "pagan." Possibly "apostate." Not that these distinctions especially matter.

EDIT: According to wikipedia, "infidel" would be most accurate, as it literally means "unbeliever." They list "heathen" as synonymous with "pagan."
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I tried to understand the word the man employs, but I failed. It's not "murtadd" - how apostates are labeled, nor could I hear "irtidad" which would be the crime of accepting another faith after islam.
          I forgot what the word for atheist was...
          "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
          "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

they use simpli ladini, but also mulhid, and I think it's the word that's been used. Yet, as I've mentioned, I can't check it. It would require me to go all the way through the corridor, enter another room and turn on the computer there
            Middle East!

Comment

The word the man uses sounds like muljida?/buljida? (spelled like in spanish)

mulheeda? in english (i guess)
              I need a foot massage

Comment

so it's the thing
                Middle East!

Comment

Yes .

The correct pronounciation is : किताब .