No announcement yet.

My beef with Gandhi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder what would have happend to the US had blacks began to violently revolt in large numbers, as many suggested they do.
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Tass sighting!
      Unbelievable!

Comment

Do I know you?

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
          I wonder what would have happend to the US had blacks began to violently revolt in large numbers, as many suggested they do.
          Probably mass genocide. They constitued around 10% of the population in the 1950s-1960s. If they would have staged widespread violent insurrection, I imagine that there would have been an incredibly violent reaction.
          I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

No. It just seemed like you dropped off the face of the earth for a while.

(x-post)
            Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Wycoff

Probably mass genocide. They constitued around 10% of the population in the 1950s-1960s. If they would have staged widespread violent insurrection, I imagine that there would have been an incredibly violent reaction.
              Indeed, that was my point. The benefits of armed resistence were perhaps lower than the benefits of peaceful resistence, hence disputing Pekka's claim that pacifism is always bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
                There would have been an aweful lot of dead blacks.

Martin Luther King Jr got that point right when he pointed out the whites made up 90% of the population and controlled every political and economic institution. The only way to go forward for a small minority in a democracy is to shame the other people into looking at the injustice because starting a war is insane when the other guy controls all the power and out numbers you 9 to 1.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

What if the Brits would have just slaughtered everyone? Hey, thanks Gandhi for leaving us here...
                  I thought this was funny.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

After I looked up the word, this is funny, too.

Oh, did I mention he also was supporting the commies, plus he was also a vegan. Can you come up with any other big name, leader of big magnitude who was vegan?
                    Vegan. Even worse than the commies.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Pekka seems to be jealous of Gandhi it seems. To say MLK was a real man with character when Gandhi was not, especially considering MLK acknowledged the huge debt he owed to Gandhi and his methods is laughable.

And Pekka, I didn't see tanks take down the Berlin Wall or Moscow in the waning days of the USSR. I just saw numbers of people who stood in the way and said we are here peacefully. Try to stop us. The people who marched in the Solidarity movement in Poland were brothers with those who made their own salt on the beaches of India against British law.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Lech Walesa rocked.

Comment

Re: My beef with Gandhi

Originally posted by Pekka
                          Now, first off, his non-violent resistance was OK in this case, however he left his people in GRAVE DANGER. What if the Brits would have just slaughtered everyone? Hey, thanks Gandhi for leaving us here... #1 thing, you take care of your people. You don't take risks like that, doing hippie crap. If you want to play it like that, do it with your own little group of friends in some little community where you can get bashed by locals, but don't take risks like that with the entire people. That's just crazy.
                          Haven't heard of the massacre at Amritsar? The fact that it happened, exactly against non-violent protesters, was a huge blow to the legitimacy of British rule. Had they killed 1000 armed rebels instead the whole ordeal could have easily been dismissed as a rightful thing to do.
                          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            In democratic societies, passive resistance is very powerful. It didn't just work (with stunning success) in India, but also for blacks in the US under Martin Luther King, Jr., who used Gandhi's tactics.

He didn't get 'lucky'. If it just happens once, it is luck. When it happens a second time, then perhaps it may have been a good strategy.

Protests are also non-violent strategies and look how they've worked in the former Soviet Bloc, the Orange Revolution, the Cedar Revolution, etc. The Soviet Union didn't finally collapse because of violence, but because of passive resistance and non-violent protest.

QFT
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

The Soviet Union failed because of economics. Communism isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Comment

In capitalism, people destroy the economy.

In Soviet Union, economy destroys you.
                                Blah

Comment

Working...
                                X