Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know anything about web advertising?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know anything about web advertising?

I've been approached by a potential advertiser for a site I'm involved with. He's asked for a rate card.

This is a good thing, but any rate I came up with would basically be a pure stab in the dark. Does anyone know anything about web advertising and web advertising rates?

The site currently averages 500 or so unique visitors (2500 page views) per day which is likely to rise to three times that or more at the right time of the year (it's a politics site so there's obviously a "season" of sorts).

I realise we're not talking any great shakes in terms of cash here, but I'd appreciate any advice...
    Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Why don't you ask Mark and/or Dan ?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Adwords.

Comment

Yahoo shares fell sharply today on word that ad growth is to slow.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Politics, you say? 2,500 page views a day, 75,000 a month or so?

Since you're relatively small potatoes, I'd recommend going for a monthly slotting fee; don't go by any other method, since for you, they just won't be worth it.

What kind of advertising is it, too?

If it's banner advertising... see how much he's willing to pay--I'd recommend tossing out $1,750 to see a gag reflex; but after negotiations, I wouldn't go below $1,000 or so--and I don't think you'll even need to go down that far.

Of course, I don't know much about pricing for these internet things. I'm just guessing.
          B♭3

Comment

Re: Anyone know anything about web advertising?

Originally posted by *End Is Forever*
            I've been approached by a potential advertiser for a site I'm involved with. He's asked for a rate card.

This is a good thing, but any rate I came up with would basically be a pure stab in the dark. Does anyone know anything about web advertising and web advertising rates?

The site currently averages 500 or so unique visitors (2500 page views) per day which is likely to rise to three times that or more at the right time of the year (it's a politics site so there's obviously a "season" of sorts).

I realise we're not talking any great shakes in terms of cash here, but I'd appreciate any advice...
            What kind of ad is it?

Some of them are looking for click throughs, others just want to use your pagerank to boost their listing in Google. The ads that my page runs are of the later kind. They are just basic lines of text maybe 3-5 words. Those pay us like $50 a month. And since they are low profile and don't care if anyone clicks it is a sweet deal. We've got a few of them.

Pricing of those kind of ads depends on your PageRank, and you can check that here: http://www.google-pagerank.net/

Do some research to see what PageRank is good and what is bad. I forget the rankings. imho it is the easiest and most painless way to generate ad revenue on a page.

Check out the ads on http://forums.youthrights.org all the way at the bottom are our ads, and no one pays them any attention but they bring in big bucks.

As for ads you are supposed to look at and click... I have no idea, those just annoy me.
            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed

Since you're relatively small potatoes, I'd recommend going for a monthly slotting fee; don't go by any other method, since for you, they just won't be worth it.
              Good advice... normal pricing for general interest sites is about $10 to $25 dollars per thousand... so if you charged on a Cost Per Thousand (CPM) basis, you would be talking about $750 to $1,875 per month. However, it would probably be on the low side of it because of your VERY low number of unique users.

Settle for a monthly sloting fee... Tell them your rates are $1500 per month for a fixed position banner which appears on every page, with 100% share of voice (SOV)... But tell him you will give him a discount and only charge him $1,000 and then offer him right of first refusal for the next month if he likes the results.
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I'd listen to Ming. He's some kind of ad exec, I hear.
                B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

Good advice... normal pricing for general interest sites is about $10 to $25 dollars per thousand... so if you charged on a Cost Per Thousand (CPM) basis, you would be talking about $750 to $1,875 per month. However, it would probably be on the low side of it because of your VERY low number of unique users.

Settle for a monthly sloting fee... Tell them your rates are $1500 per month for a fixed position banner which appears on every page, with 100% share of voice (SOV)... But tell him you will give him a discount and only charge him $1,000 and then offer him right of first refusal for the next month if he likes the results.
                  Damn 500 visitors and 2,500 page views a day is worth $1,500 a month? What about 700 & 3,000?

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                    I'd listen to Ming. He's some kind of ad exec, I hear.

Isn't one of your specialities buying ad space on the internet
                    Keep on Civin'

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP

Damn 500 visitors and 2,500 page views a day is worth $1,500 a month? What about 700 & 3,000?
                      700 visitors and 3,000 page views a day? What kind of site is it? What kind of advertising space are you considering placing?

...and, if a client ever needs your site, can I get it for free?

===

Originally posted by Ming

Isn't one of your specialities buying ad space on the internet
                      Well, sorta. It's in my job description.
                      B♭3

Comment

Probably about the same range...
                        Now, is it worth it... MAYBE, but will you be able to get it... It really depends on finding the right buyer who values your audience. In End's case, somebody found him... In your case, you would have to find a sucker... I mean somebody interested.
                        Keep on Civin'

Comment

Hey End, care to share contacts?

Comment

Re: Re: Anyone know anything about web advertising?

Check out the ads on http://forums.youthrights.org all the way at the bottom are our ads, and no one pays them any attention but they bring in big bucks.
                            Nice.
                            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

They are barely noticeable - how much do you make from them?
                              Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

Working...
                              X