Canadian Politics: Help, I'm new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Victor Galis

There are many places in Canada where there are signs in French too although there are only insignifant numbers of French people there. Here there are sufficient numbers of both English and French people, it would make sense to have signs in both languages at least in downtown.
    I think you're wrong.

IIRC, New Brunswick is the only truely bilingual province.

I'd like to see a picture of an Arret sign in Ontario, outside of a municipality that is trying really hard or the capital region.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I thought. WhereTF did anyone ever see an Arrêt sign outside of Quebec, or MAYBE Acadie or Ottawa?
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

But I don't think the language of the street signs is the real issue for people like the writer of the OP or KH. VG should not be dismissed either. I think he is originally from there.

I could be wrong though, so I'll listen.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
          Yeah, that's what I thought. WhereTF did anyone ever see an Arrêt sign outside of Quebec, or MAYBE Acadie or Ottawa?
          Stop signs in national parks have both 'stop' and 'arret'. Even in Alberta.
          Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
            But I don't think the language of the street signs is the real issue for people like the writer of the OP or KH. VG should not be dismissed either. I think he is originally from there.

I could be wrong though, so I'll listen.
            I have never lived in a Candian province other than Quebec, though I admit I spent most of my life being an expatriate of some sort. I'm just horribly upset that the province is much less bilingual than it used to be, and even neighborhoods that are pretty evenly divided even now between English and French have French language only signs. I may be exagerating somewhat or picking a fight over little things, but I am generally in principle opposed to separatist movements everywhere. I am even more opposed when those particular separatist movements have negative economic impacts on me or my family. By the time my father moved away from Quebec, he lost a good deal of money on the house he'd bought due to the more general flight of Anglos away from Quebec around the time of the referendum in '95.

edit: So yes, I do have an axe to grind, but this thread really isn't about that. It's about me trying to figure out who among the Liberals, NDP, or Greens best represents my views.
            "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
            -Joan Robinson

Comment

Working...
            X