Pope angers muslims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pope angers muslims

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

This is not the first time Pope Benedict has been at the centre of criticism for his views on Islam.

Before becoming Pope, Cardinal Ratzinger, as he was known, was considered a theological conservative.

He appeared to be uncomfortable with Pope John Paul II's attempts to improve dialogue with the Islamic world. His predecessor was the first pontiff to step inside a mosque, during a visit to Syria in 2001.

So, besides this probably being a Pope aneeshm is going to like , is there any significance to this whole "affair"?

Yes. He's also a pope Oerdin will likely feel somewhat conflicted about. Also, if the lunatic fringe of Islam attacks the RCC as a consequence, well, the RCC is about the same size as Islam so it should have a somewhat comparable lunatic fringe of its own. Except probably better educated and supplied on average.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

RCC is better organised than Islam.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

So what it comes down to is: place your bets? Islam fought off the Catholics last time, but then last time the Catholics were fairly primitive and Islam was the most advanced civilization around. And the Catholics still did pretty well on their first attempt, before they lost focus and concentrated more on petty land-grabs and Jew-beatings. At least, that's my understanding of history, but as I have shown many, MANY times in the past, my understanding of history isn't that great. Maybe somebody else can play bookie?
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

"Some Indian Muslims burnt an effigy of the world's Roman Catholic leader who quoted remarks which linked Islam to violence."

I'd like to know whether these "anger waves", getting royally pissed over some non politically correct statements by foreigners, are the new thing among muslim communities around the world?

Is this just capitalising on the publicity that was brought by the Danish cartoon affair, or is this normal, as in used to happen before that?

Comment

Re: Pope angers muslims

Originally posted by VetLegion
            BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

So, besides this probably being a Pope aneeshm is going to like , is there any significance to this whole "affair"?
            It is really tough to know. There are a select few places where the RCC and Islam are competing, so there's a possibility that this has some impact. E.g., Sudan, Nigeria, and the Phillipines. Throughout the Middle East, there are christian minorities, some of whom have allegiance to Rome.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
              So what it comes down to is: place your bets? Islam fought off the Catholics last time, but then last time the Catholics were fairly primitive and Islam was the most advanced civilization around. And the Catholics still did pretty well on their first attempt, before they lost focus and concentrated more on petty land-grabs and Jew-beatings. At least, that's my understanding of history, but as I have shown many, MANY times in the past, my understanding of history isn't that great. Maybe somebody else can play bookie?
              The RC country with nukes completely outclasses the Muslim country with nukes, and another nuclear power has a large minority of Catholics. So I'll hazard a guess that RC wins without a doubt.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Uncyclopedia had some nice comment on the Danish cartoon crisis :

The Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy began after the Danish government funded and created scatheing cartoons depicting our beloved Muhammad on Safar 26, 1426 AH. The Danish public quickly began a mass distribution of these. Not only do they contain an image of Muhammad, a sin far more dangerous then killing children in buses, they also took advantage of the relative mystery of the religion of Islam, leading many in the world to get a false impression of the peace-loving religion. God willing, we will hunt these people down and kill them.
                http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

The RC country with nukes completely outclasses the Muslim country with nukes, and another nuclear power has a large minority of Catholics. So I'll hazard a guess that RC wins without a doubt.
                  France you mean? Does a country where its illegal for a student to wear a large cross to a public school really get to be the defender of the faith? But I agree, their nuke arsenal definitely outclasses Pakistans.

That and $1.10 will get you a ride on the DC metrobus.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I would understand the reactions more if I had the feeling they'd be as critical towards their own religious and political leaders.
                    Blah

Comment

*gasp* the Pope says that spreading religion through force is wrong and violence is incompatable with God. That bastard, how dare he.
                      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

And if that's all he said, no one would care.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

oh, is that what happened? I though he drew a funny picture.
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

In other news today millions of muslims became angry at a box of tictacs and a used kleenex which they accused of anti-muslim remarks.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                              Of course (*smartass mode on*) the Muslim expansion afterwards was finally stopped and beaten back (Vienna, Lepanto), so IMO it's RCC 1 Islam 1. The semi finals howewer were between Islam and the Orthodox Church (RCC was disqualified during the age of enlightenment) in the 18th century when Russia robbed territories from the Osman empire.

Too bad, in the history forum we'd have +1s
                              Blah

Comment

Working...
                              X