No announcement yet.

Nintendo Wii: $250, Nov 19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would they include HD support in a platform that is quite explicitly not being marketed to hardcore graphics fans?
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
      Why would they include HD support in a platform that is quite explicitly not being marketed to hardcore graphics fans?
      It's not just graphics that benefit from HD, but things such as text and detail as well. It boggles the mind why they bothered with Opera on Wii, for instance, considering how painful 640x480 is, especially on blurry analog sets...
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

By the way, and not to turn the thread all wonk-ish, the penetration of PS2 in Japan is ~ 40% of households and a little over 30% of households in the US and UK. It would stand to reason that much of the up to 20% of households owning HDTVs in the US would overlap with the 30% owning PS2s.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

The base Xbox 360 already is $299.

Considering the Xbox 360 is, quite literally, a bit over 10 times the power of the Wii, a $50 price gap makes me giggle.
          Since demand will probably exceed offer at launch, there is no benefit for Nintendo to price it aggressively right away. They can always do that later, when the holidays are over and the fanboys who would pay whatever price for one have gotten it already.
          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
            Since demand will probably exceed offer at launch, there is no benefit for Nintendo to price it aggressively right away. They can always do that later, when the holidays are over and the fanboys who would pay whatever price for one have gotten it already.
            QFT. Comparing the Wii's launch price to the price of the year-old XBOX makes no sense.
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
              By the way, and not to turn the thread all wonk-ish, the penetration of PS2 in Japan is ~ 40% of households and a little over 30% of households in the US and UK. It would stand to reason that much of the up to 20% of households owning HDTVs in the US would overlap with the 30% owning PS2s.
              HDTV has already made it up to 20% in the US? Crazy. Americans really are too damn rich.
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by self biased
                though, if i had $250 to just piss away, i'd prolly buy one of these:

A Eldar Titan!
                Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Dammit, Lonestar, I got three zits and a squeaky voice just reading that! Stop it!
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                    Dammit, Lonestar, I got three zits and a squeaky voice just reading that! Stop it!
                    Eldar are a race simliar to Elves in the WH40K Franchise.
                    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

• Originally posted by VetLegion
                      Self biased, what is that and why is it so expensive?
                      that, is an eldar revenant titan. it stands nearly a foot tall to the top of its head. it's a model from games workshop's forgeworld. used mostly for bragging rights.

I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                      [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Working...
                      X