Chavez affirms that he is a dictator.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
    There are many countries where such limitations don't exist, and they seem to be democratic well enough.
    But when the leader of a country changes the constitution in order to increase his own power (or the duration thereof), it's not a particularly democratic move.

Answer: what do you think would be the response to a proposal by Bush to remove term limits?

Comment

I think it would get bi-partisan support because then, the Democrats could run Bill Clinton again.
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
        Answer: what do you think would be the response to a proposal by Bush to remove term limits?
        I'd be cool with it. If the American people don't like it, they can vote him out.
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Chavez is just the latest evidence that most leftists don't mind dictators too much, as long as they're sufficiently loony.

Comment

This thread goes to show no argument for Chavez being a dictator has been given
            I need a foot massage

Comment

My impression is, it doesn't really matter, as far as the leftists are concerned.

Comment

"The people will vote away thier rights." -Ben Franklin.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                  But when the leader of a country changes the constitution in order to increase his own power (or the duration thereof), it's not a particularly democratic move.
                  But one has to be a leader to make the move. So your position is akin to saying that any increase in term limits is antidemocratic.

This is irrelevent sophistry, but I can answer anyway if you like it. There would most likely be a negative reaction, but then so what? that would hardly make him a 'dictator' by the reasonable standards of the word. Unless the election was rigged.
                  In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Venezuelans can still vote away their president.
                    I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
                      This thread goes to show no argument for Chavez being a dictator has been given

Persecuting dissidents:

Restrictive Press Laws:

Court Packing

If its not a dictatorship yet, the institutional basis for one is definitely being laid. The dropping of term limits must be seen in that context.
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Not proof

You obviously can't trust a clearly right wing reactionary biased organization like hrw.org.

“It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Re: Chavez affirms that he is a dictator.

Originally posted by Oerdin
                          No surprises to anyone who hs been intellectually honest here. Chavez has announced that he intend to yet again rewrite the Venezualan constitution to extend his stay in office and to give himself more power. WOW, WHO COULD EVER HAVE GUESSED? Nope, no one called this one.

Chavez now says he wants to stay in office at least until 2030 and he wants to yet again redraw electorial districts in order to give his party yet more seats; any honest person would call that still more gerrymandering from the man who created the most gerrymandered state in the western hemisphere. I honestly can't see why anyone would be stupid enough to support a man who is obviously a dictator at heart.

It's not like the Venezuelan people don't want him to continue as president.
                          Attached Files
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Re: Not proof

Originally posted by pchang
                            You obviously can't trust a clearly right wing reactionary biased organization like hrw.org.

You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Re: Re: Chavez affirms that he is a dictator.

Originally posted by Kidicious

It's not like the Venezuelan people don't want him to continue as president.
                              I actually have little problem with a country not having or dropping term limits.

But I do have some difficulty when it is done to benefit a currently sitting president. The chance for abuse is there when the person elected to the top job can change the rules pertaining to the top job

So term limits meh . . . Its the rest of the stuff going on in Ven. that seems more alarming. It appears that Chavez is positioning himself for a long terrm as leader and I don't know that he is necessarily concerned with having popular support to remain there.

This one is a "stay tuned"
                              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Chavez is showing some disturbing signs, but whether it is just your typical 3rd World populist athoritarianism or something worse it's hard to say.

Comment

Working...
                                X