X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is what I found after a quick google search:

Comment

The point is that

sufficient gerrymandering by itself creates an unfair election.
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

The situation in Venezuela is interesting. When we think of democracies, we tend to think of liberal democracies, which Venezuela clearly is no longer. But, believe it or not, there can be democracies that do not align with American liberal values.
        "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
          First you don't even provide a source for his speech. Second, has he been misquoted again? last time this was in the news, he was talking about cancelling the presidential terms limit, not rewriting a constitution that would make him president for life.
          The two aren't equivalent?

If the US Constitution were amended to remove presidential term limits you all would be going ape****.

Comment

No boy, there's a difference between allowing someone to run for an indefinite amount of terms and rewriting a constitution to make yourself dictator.
            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

He's just rewriting the constitution to let himself run for an unlimited number of terms so he can stay dictator.

Comment

"stay" dictator?

Comment

Funny stuff. I agree with Oerdin that this affirms that he is a dictator (as if we needed any confirmation). After all, if it walks like a duck...
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

...it could be a duck hunter.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

As for Chavez acting like he'd want to become dictator, I agree that there are warning signs. But claiming that he is one right now is just ridiculous.

Comment

Who besides dictators change the constitution so that they can run for another term? Honest heads of state do not have that much power.

Besides, unlimited time in power is one of the traditional hallmarks of dictatorship since the Roman times. At least Sulla was virtuous in resigning his dictatorship quickly after wrapping up his dirty deeds. Chavez has no such virtues.
                        Last edited by DanS; September 13, 2006, 11:23.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Oh yes! I wonder…what would the reaction in the US be if Shrub said:

I think the US Constitution may need to be reformed in some parts and that also the people should not be stripped of their right if they wish to re-elect a compatriot, whoever it may be—three, four, five, six times to steer the nation.

Back to Ven, the Judiciary there ALREADY gave him a pass for a third term on grounds that the old constitution was in effect when he won the first term. Now he’s just getting greedy.

First step – squelch the opposition. Second step, re-write the rules. But that’s not a dictator.

Riiiiiiight.

-=Vel=-
                          The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

@OP

If he has enough seats to change the constitution he can do whatever he wants, thats called democracy

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                              Who besides dictators change the constitution so that they can run for another term? Honest heads of state do not have that much power.
                              There are many countries where such limitations don't exist, and they seem to be democratic well enough.

Besides, unlimited time in power is one of the traditional hallmarks of dictatorship since the Roman times. At least Sulla was virtuous in resigning his dictatorship quickly after wrapping up his dirty deeds. Chavez has no such virtues.
                              I think you're talking about Cincinnatus.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                                Uribe of Colombia, a US ally, did that a few months ago.

I can't stand Chavez, and think he already is a dictator, but this doesn't prove it. If a country wants to elect its president for a third term, it should be able to.
                                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                                X