X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the hell did that work....

Our Streets are not that wide....

Small plane makes spectacular landing on busy street in downtown Montreal

MONTREAL (CP) - One of Montreal's major thoroughfares was turned into an impromptu runway Sunday afternoon when a small plane was force to land minutes from the downtown core.

A Cessna was spotted flying close to the ground as it crossed over the east side of Mount Royal, where hundreds of Montrealers traditionally gather on Sundays to play bongos or simply lounge on the grass.

The plane then lined up with Parc Avenue, one of the city's major north-south arteries, and promptly touched down in front of scores of baffled onlookers.

Though police had little advance warning and were unable to cordon off the street, the pilot managed to land the plane without incident.

The pilot and his passengers, a 49-year-old man and his 10-year-old son, were not injured, nor was anybody on the ground.

The father said the plane's lone engine cut out during an aerial tour of the city, and he commended the pilot's skills for giving the precarious situation a happy ending.

"The plane was very stable, even without the engine it was very stable," the man told all-news channel LCN. "Our pilot was a real professional, no panic, it was strict business."

Aside from a street sign that was clipped by one of the plane's wings, the landing caused no other damage.

Police suspect that mechanical failure or a fuel shortage forced the pilot to make the emergency landing.

Transport Canada is investigating.
    I really dont see that happening with out any incident on Park-Av.....Very lucky SOB.

Spec.
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Parc Avenue is wide enough for a small plane.

Really, if I were landing a plane, that might be my first and only choice of streets to land on.
    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

With all the poeple and cars? A sesna has atleast a 25 foot wing span man...

Spec.
      -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Well, it worked, so, yeah?

Not like he did it during rush hour.

Comment

what time was it?

Didn't see it on the news.

Spec.

Comment

Afternoonish.

Also, its one of the few places in the city where he could land with out a building on 1 side of him.

Comment

A picture!

Comment

Oh! It was near Mont-Royal, in front of the parc Jadmance.

Now I understand. I thought it was north of Mont-Royal street.

Spec.

Comment

Yeah, there's that stretch of Parc which is ridiculously wide and has the small median.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I drive on that section of road every time I'm in Montreal...
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

...where hundreds of Montrealers traditionally gather on Sundays to play bongos...
                        If I needed further evidence that Canadiens are strange, there it is.
                        "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                        "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                        "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

My pilot friend had indicated to me that there is little problem finding a place to put a small single engine plane down once you get sufficient altitude. But then again he started in gliders and he just thought of a cessna as a moderately poor glider.

I asked him about landing on roadways and he said that it was doable without too much of a gap . He said you just dive enough to get to a speed matching the traffic and start coming down . .. The drivers behind you brake and as long as no one stops suddenly ahead of you, you are fine. Those things can stop in a fairly short distance
                          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Stuie

Huh?-- I just assumed everyone played bongos and it wasn't something we needed to speak of
                            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Stuie

TAM TAM!!!!!
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X