Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunter DEAD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunter DEAD

HE Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, is dead.

He was killed in a freak accident in Cairns, police sources said. It is understood he was killed by a sting-ray barb that went through his chest.

He was swimming off the Low Isles at Port Douglas filming an underwater documentary and that's when it occured.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality this morning at Batt Reef off Port Douglas.
    Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

WOW!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

CRIKEY!
      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

CRIKEY INDEED!

Comment

Damn!
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Exclamation mark!
            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

I always hoped he'd get his head bitten off, but now, well, I feel kind of weird.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

I can't say this was entirely unexpected, but still...

A bizarre life, ended in a bizarre death.
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Steve Irwin dead

The naturalist and television star Steve Irwin has died in a diving accident in far north Queensland. He was 44.

Police say he was stung through the heart by a stingray while diving off Port Douglas.

He was filming a documentary when the accident occurred around midday AEST near the Low Isles.

A helicopter arrived with paramedics on board to try to resuscitate him, but it was too late.

Irwin, who was was born in Victoria in 1962, inherited his love of reptiles from his father.

His father Bob was a keen reptile enthusiast and moved the family to Queensland in 1970 to open a small reptile park on the Sunshine Coast.

Irwin took over the family business in 1991 and grew it into Australia Zoo.

In 1992 he ventured into television, making the first series of the Crocodile Hunter.

When the program aired in the United States, he shot to international fame.

Irwin is survived by his wife Terri and two children.
                  Nature lover

In 2003, he spoke to the ABC's Australian Story about how he was perceived in his country.

"When I see what's happened all over the world, they're looking at me as this very popular, wildlife warrior Australian bloke," he said.

"And yet back here in my own country, some people find me a little bit embarrassing.

"You know, there's this... they kind of cringe, you know, 'cause I'm coming out with 'Crikey' and 'Look at this beauty'.

"Just say what you're gonna say, mate. You know, is it a cultural cringe? Is it, they actually see a little bit of themselves when they see me, and they find that a little embarrassing?

"I'm fair dinkum, like kangaroos and Land Cruisers, winged keels and bloody flies! I think we've lost all that. I think we've all become very, sort of, money people."

He also spoke of his love for surfing.

"You get out there, it's just you against the waves.

"There's no paparazzi, there's no fan base, and it gives me a chance to recuperate and regenerate.

"I think I've actually got animals so genetically inside me that there's no way I could actually be anything else.

"I think my path would have always gone back to or delivered me to wildlife. I think wildlife is just like a magnet, and it's something that I can't help."

No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Comment

We all knew this would eventually happen from the first time we watched his show. Eventually everybody's luck runs out, but it's still sad.

Comment

I just read his wife is on a mountain trek in Tasmania and doesn't know he's dead yet.

R.I.P., Steve.

Comment

I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by ajbera
                            I just read his wife is on a mountain trek in Tasmania and doesn't know he's dead yet.

R.I.P., Steve.
                            That made me have a very strange thought about modern technology. If she doesn't find out about her husband's death by tomorrow, then most of the world will find out before she does.

Comment

Steve Irwin, for all his quirks, was an interesting fellow who certainly got me to watch his television programs more than once over the years. Australia has nothing to be ashamed of, per the article posted by TMM.

It's a crying shame what happened to him, but, somehow, I'm just not overly surprised.

Rest in peace, father, husband and crocodile hunter.

Gatekeeper
                              "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Working...
                              X