X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On this day

August 26 quite important in history.

55 BC - Julius Caesar invades Britain
    1346 - Hundred Years' War: The military supremacy of the English longbow over the French combination of crossbow and armoured knights is established at the Battle of Crécy.
    1789 - Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen approved by Constituent Assembly at Palace of Versailles
    1818 - The first Illinois Constitution was signed in Kaskaskia.
    1858 - First news dispatch by telegraph.
    1862 - American Civil War: The Second Battle of Bull Run begins.
    1883 - Eruption of Mount Krakatoa.
    1914 - World War I: Germans defeat Russians in Battle of Tannenberg, a decisive engagement which resulted in the almost complete destruction of the Russian 2nd Army.
    1914 - World War I: The British Expeditionary Force briefly checks the German advance at Le Cateau.
    1914 - World War I: The German colony of Togoland is invaded by French and British forces, who take it after 5 days.

I'm not sure how often I'll update this thread yet.
    USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
    The video may avatar is from

i dont suppose you have this stuff in a database, excel file or anything like that, do you?
    Last edited by MarkG; August 27, 2006, 05:51.
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

and todays events :

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

August 27:
        479 BC - Greco-Persian Wars: Persian forces led by Mardonius are routed by Pausanias, the Spartan commander of the Greek army in the Battle of Plataea. Along the with the Greek victory on the same day in the Battle of Mycale, the Persian invasion of Greece ended.
        55 BC - Julius Caesar lands in Britain for the first time.
        410 - Visigoth sack of Rome ends after three days.
        1776 - Battle of Long Island, in present day Brooklyn, New York, British forces under General William Howe defeat Americans under General George Washington
        1798 - United Irishmen and French forces clash with the British army in the Battle of Castlebar, part of the Irish Rebellion of 1798
        1813 - Napoleon defeats the Austrians, Russians and Prussians at the Battle of Dresden
        1828 - The Russians defeat the Turks at the Battle of Akhalzic.
        1861 - Union forces attack Cape Hatteras, North Carolina
        1883 - Krakatoa, an Indonesian volcano, erupts. It is one of the most violent volcanic events in modern times.
        1900 - British defeat Boer commandos at Bergendal
        1920 - Radio Argentina begins regularly scheduled transmissions from the Teatro Coliseo in Buenos Aires, considered the world's first public broadcast station.
        1928 - Kellogg-Briand Pact, outlawing war, signed by sixty nations
        1957 - The Constitution of Malaysia came into force.
        1991 - The European Community recognizes the independence of the Baltic states: Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.
        1991 - Moldova declares independence from the USSR.

I copy the Wikipedia page and cut some the things out before I post it.
        USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
        The video may avatar is from

Comment

How come Caesar invaded Britain yesterday and landed today? Isn't that a little weird?
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
            How come Caesar invaded Britain yesterday and landed today? Isn't that a little weird?
            Maybe it is like CIV IV, if you try to attack them your units get put outside the border and then you can attack?

Or, maybe crossing the borders constituted "Invading" but it was late and dark so they waited until first light to actually launch the landing, because if I remember, England is a small Island in Scotland & Ireland backyard, no?
            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

It's probably that his fleet set sails to Britain on the 26th and he landed on the 27th.

Comment

Isn't it obvious? It was BC. Time ran backwards back then.
                Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Yeah right, you bet

Comment

Ceasar's troops invade on the 26th. He follows them, landing on the 27th. You didn't think he'd be in the first wave did you?
                    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

On September 06 1885 the The Unification of the Principality of Bulgaria and the then-Ottoman province of Eastern Rumelia was carried out.

A map of the Principality of Bulgaria and Eastern Rumelia before the Unification.

This act was followed by a declaration of war by Serbia (backed by Austria-Hungary). But the Bulgarian army managed to kick back the Serbs and to defend the new unified state.
                      Quendelie axan!

Comment

Had East Roumelia existed since 1878 as well?

How strong was Russian support for Bulgaria?

Comment

The Bulgarian territory according to the San Stefano treaty (Orange area on this map) was divided in three majour parts on the Berlin congress.

As you can see from the previous map northern Bulgaria became a de facto independent Bulgarian state, the southern part became an ottoman province and Macedonia was returned entirely to the Ottoman Empire.

Russian support was pretty strong. They wanted an orthodox ally state to be in control of the region and straits eventually.
                          Quendelie axan!

Comment

Working...
                          X