The bad wikipedia articles thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dis

are you saying my city isn't as great as they say it is?

edit: I see several major events that are left out. I would edit it, but I don't know how. Am I authorized to edit it? And the act like Nellis airforce base is the lifeblood of our economy. That's just a drop in the bucket. Most cities can't afford to have their military bases close, but it wouldn't affect us much.
    Yes, you are allowed to edit it. Just remember to use good edit summaries explaining what you do and why. If you create an account first (simple to do), there is a better chance that people will respect your edits.
    http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Right, just ran into this the other day.

What starts as a perfectly innocent article...

ends with...

There is a new mobile phone software appeared in China called ”SounderCover” ,it was first invented in 2006. This software is especially designed for mobile phone and its function of this software is to allocate your phone with a sound background . From it's official websites, it says “ This has caused a science of physics, allowing others to believe you on the phone shown in the background sounded place. “ and in another words, this software can help you lie and cheat on people who call you. Users can pretend they are in the park on the street whereas they are actually watching a movie in a cinema. The software allows you “ to use pre-recorded telephone Lane to choose a background sound or any person at any time to pick up a phone.” and also, you can change the background sound to anything you like , at any time, you can choose either “street voices” and pretend you are on a street whereas the user is watching movie in a cinema.

Some users who likes this software are mainly teenagers and OL ( office ladies) , they said they like it because they can not be tracked by anyone and they can lie about their location , but this software does effects our culture.

Refer to Marshall McLuhan 's theory on “ technological determinism” , he warned that “ technology is changing society” ( McLuhan 1967) .With no doubt, cell phone will soon become a new mass medium ,especially when 3G (3rd generation) mobile phone is coming to us. With such software liar, users relationship between one and other can be easily changed and effected, reliance between human will no longer exist., in fact , we are ruling by technologies and technologies are having control over our social networks.

Lelia Green in her book named “ Technoculture” ( 2001) stated the idea on “ society changes technologies” , in this case , technology is changing our society and changing our relationships between one and other. Although mobile phone is becoming a new form of mass medium, and it also brings new technologies and innovation to our culture. However, it always create boundaries , restrictions and it created a virtual space for users which becomes barriers between people in today's society.

In this case, technologies are moving beyond reality and they are non-stoppable and can not be controlled in our hands, it doesn't only effects our relationships among others, it is obviously having effects on our culture as a whole.

WTF is a reference to "office ladies" doing in an article about mobile software? And why do they have an acronym "OL" (that's the bit that cracks me up) and what is that rambling about anyway

PS the bad English is excusable and not what I am making fun of.

Comment

The article about Spinoza describes him as rationalist philosopher and a precursor to the Enlightenment, which is a load of BS.
        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Islam's more obscure sectarian articles have less than objective quips that last for months or years since only true believers even find occasion to read them. Just one of many examples:

Allah blessed Hazrat Pir Meher Ali Shah (R.A) with tremendous mind abilities. As soon as Hazrat completed his oral reading of the Quran, the entire Holy Book became embedded in his memory without any conscious effort by him towards that end.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pir_Meher_Ali_Shah
          Unbelievable!

Comment

There's buckets of transhumanist crap on Wikipedia, for example 'Sociocybernetics'.

The basic goal, why sociocybernetics was created, is to produce a theoretical framework as well as information technology tools for responding to the basic challenges individuals, couples, families, groups, companies, organizations, countries, international affairs are facing today.
            It's all true!

Comment

I got an account(and associated ip) banned from wikipedia.

I edited the chuck norris entry to be a series of anti chuck norris jokes, most of them explaining how he is a giant vagina.

Comment

OH here is an ironic update!

This just in, Chuck Norris is a moron.

One of the satirical "facts" made of Norris states that "There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live." Upon hearing this, Chuck replied:
                It's funny. It's cute. But here's what I really think about the theory of evolution: It's not real. It is not the way we got here. In fact, the life you see on this planet is really just a list of creatures God has allowed to live. We are not creations of random chance. We are not accidents. There is a God, a Creator, who made you and me. We were made in His image, which separates us from all other creatures. By the way, without Him, I don't have any power. But with Him, the Bible tells me, I really can do all things—and so can you."[3]
                I can confirm Elok's statement that the main Chuck Norris entry went for months as a huge list of Chuck Norris jokes, I witnessed it for at least 3 months myself.
                Last edited by Vesayen; December 6, 2007, 21:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Vesayen

I edited the chuck norris entry to be a series of anti chuck norris jokes, most of them explaining how he is a giant vagina.
                  I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

This was a number of years ago, back when wikipedia was still owned by it's original founders, before it was sold.

They had a policy on defacing entries, who knew?

Comment

This was a number of years ago, back when wikipedia was still owned by it's original founders, before it was sold.

They had a policy on defacing entries, who knew?
                      "sold"? Wikipedia was never sold. Jimmy Wales originally personally owned part of it, probably the trademark etc. (because somebody has to own it), but those parts were transferred to the non-profit Wikimedia organization once it was set up.
                      http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Ah, I thought he had actually sold his share of it to some for profit corporation.

Comment

Definition of Wikipedia in Wikipedia

Launched in 2001, it is the largest and dominant general reference work currently available on the Internet.
                          is that bad grammar or what?!
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

according to this german wiki is getting sued for promoting nazism.

When will those crazy germans allow for freedom of speech?

Breaking news about Satellite from The Jerusalem Post. Read the latest updates on Satellite including articles, videos, opinions and more.

Comment

Hey, it's like attacking helpless grandmothers. Defacing a source that can be edited by all is not very cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X