Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The bad wikipedia articles thread

It's fun to come across these.

Australian supermodel Elle MacPherson's page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elle_MacPherson

The writing is terrible, there's no picture, and it's awkwardly spaced. My favorite part, though, is this:

Macpherson is the most financially successful of all the world's supermodels. A 1997 estimate placed her net assets at $40.3 million. Cindy Crawford is a relatively close second with $41.2 million.

Also, don't miss this footnote:

Macpherson's last name is often printed as "MacPherson", and sometimes as "McPherson", but these appear to be incorrect. Sources which can be expected to be reliable, such as Playboy magazine... ...consistently print the name as "Macpherson".

Another good one is that of Babatunde Oshinowo, a nose tackle recently drafted by the Cleveland Browns. Most wikipedia sports articles are poor, especially for American sports. What makes this one exceptional is that the last part appears to be written, in first person, by Mr. Oshinowo himself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babatunde_Oshinowo
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Don't miss how the article abruptly ends with this sentence, placed alone at the very end:

In short Babatunde is a better 3-4 prospect than either LeKevin Smith or Domato Peko.

"You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

mm bad wikipedia articles. As much as I like Wikipedia, there certainly are a lot of bad apples to pick from.

I like the Metallica article which, for a time, had an entire section devoted to one guy ranting about how all the Metallica bashers sucked. Saying Metallica was right to sue. Saying the head of Napster was a thief and a bastard. All sorts of things. It was lots of fun.

Checks...

Oh good, that section appears to be much better now. And that's why I like Wikipedia.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I'm told that the Chuck Norris article went for months, if not years, as just a gigantic collection of those incredibly lame fad jokes ("Urr, Chuck Norris is so manly that, uh, his penis can constrict and eat rats. Hahaha!"), with nobody noticing.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Hey guys, why don't you help them out, eh?
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Why do they need more Chuck Norris jokes?
            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Why don't they?!
              Monkey!!!

Comment

This message required by law.

Gotta love that as a sig!

Wikipedia is as good as its authors, all of whom are unknown.
                No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I've not been banned since putting up that sig.
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

The article on the Minoans was filled with Feminazi BS about the Minoans being a matriarchal and peaceful society untill that crap was removed this spring.

Comment

LeKevin Smith
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Feminazis
                        I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                          LeKevin Smith
                          I thought you didn't like the french.

Comment

I'd love Jacques Chirac if he played for the Huskers...
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

the Minoans being a matriarchal and peaceful society
                              well, to be fair, one of the more popular interpretations of minoan society is one of peaceful merchants worshipping primarily female deities. As a testament to just how little we know about the Minoans, another interpretation is of a human sacrificing, Titan worshipping society as prone to piracy as trade and participants in the raids on Egypt and the Levant attributed to the Sea Peoples.
                              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Working...
                              X