No announcement yet.

They got YouTube too!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photographers and artists simply don't have the $$$ and the unified voice that RIAA and to a slightly lesser extent the MPAA have in fighting this, and artist-types probably aren't as clever at being good little capitalists as the capitalists are

Anyway, rebroadcasting a music video is a blatant act of illegality. At least as illegal as sharing music online, if not slightly worse (if you actually upload it to the site, as opposed to just allowing people to access your HD, it's somewhat more active on your part).

As a side note, I presume that if I accidentally leave a hole in my security that allows sneaky sneaksters to grab my iTunes folder and download it, and also happen to post my music listing online, as in "Look at my cool collection, don't I rock", I'm not breaking the law, right? IE, I didn't "allow" people to download music, nor did I intend to distribute it (in this theoretical example).

How do they prosecute Napster types, precisely? As I undedstand it, the sharing is what's being litigated, not the downloading (as one is a more serious offense than another). Do they define the adding of your IP address to a P2P network, and the operation of a P2P software, as 'intent to distribute" or something? Or is there a law that makes this prima facie illegal? And if so, what consequence would that law have for my initial case?
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Mandy Moore is like Joan Sutherland in comparison to Ashlee Simpson, Hilary duff and that other blonde girl.
      I need a foot massage

Comment

Cant we get some rogue state like north korea to host the videos for free?
        I need a foot massage

Comment

No. The RIAA has more clout than the oil companies (most of whom are no longer American companies anyway, darn you BP!)

They'd get Bush to nuke NK in a minute
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I support the RIAA on this one... not because I agree with their position on copyright issues, but because music videos suck and anything that gets them from being rebroadcasted is a good thing.

In fact, I wish they would never be broadcasted in the first place.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I was rather fond of Robert Miles' Children clip you know. (the one in that features a roadtrip)
              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                a better question is why people watch music videos. Or maybe that's just me. I never cared for them for some reason.
                Just check this out: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...2710&q=manowar

Watch out for the hot chick who enters after a couple of minutes
                The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Ingrid

Just check this out: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...2710&q=manowar

Watch out for the hot chick who enters after a couple of minutes
                  You are crazy, Combat ! She is showing a NIPPLE !!! Our poor fellow american polytubbies are going into coma when they see that.
                  With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
                    My favorite video is still there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAK690ocnPQ
                    Did you by any chance sample some of the videos featured on "Explore more videos"? Evidently Ms Moore is intimately associated with tounge action.
                    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                      I support the RIAA on this one... not because I agree with their position on copyright issues, but because music videos suck and anything that gets them from being rebroadcasted is a good thing.

In fact, I wish they would never be broadcasted in the first place.
                      Sava

Comment

I just watched a Cat Power video on their yesterday.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Still there.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

Did you by any chance sample some of the videos featured on "Explore more videos"? Evidently Ms Moore is intimately associated with tounge action.
                            apparantly I have to register to see the good stuff.

really ****ing annoying as every damn user name I usually go by is taken. . Even german cuss words were taken.

edit: I hit confirm to say the content is not objectionable to me, but it still doesn't work. . I guess maybe I'm not mature enough to view some of that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
                              I have a general belief that if tens if millions of people frequently commit a "crime," it probably shouldn't be a crime in the first place. That goes for underage drinking, filesharing, and a whole host of things that people like to do.
                              That gets you into a lot of trouble with some laws. Millions of people have shoplifted before. Millions of people have punched someone else. Hell, looking at my own job, there are entire things the finance industry in the UK do that are illegal.
                              Smile
                              For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                              But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

If they're sueing youtube then I wonder how long it will be before they go after places like myspace where EVERYONE has videos linked to their webpage. You figure the ****nuts at the RIAA would understand free publicity when they see it.

Comment

Working...
                                X