X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you, Iceland!

A bit late but better late than never:

Achoo Iceland

“Ačiū”, pronounced achoo, is the Lithuanian word for thank you. It’s a word that Icelanders might hear a lot over the coming days, thanks (pardon the pun!) to a group of Lithuanian athletes who are travelling to this small island to say just that.

After all, it was tiny Iceland which, 15 years ago, became the first nation to recognize the independence of Lithuania. The Lithuanians have not forgotten.

Back in 1991, in the wake of the failed coup in Moscow in August, Iceland was the first nation to re-establish diplomatic relations with Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia. In January of that year, after Soviet troops killed 14 unarmed Lithuanians who were protecting the TV tower in Vilnius, Icelandic Foreign Minister Jón Baldvin Hannibalsson travelled to the Baltic countries to offer moral support. Before and later at NATO meetings and other international venues, Iceland called on other Western states to offer support in the Baltic struggle for independence.

The United States, and most other nations, recognized Lithuanian independence shortly after Iceland and the world’s media did not dwell on the contribution of this North Atlantic island to the process. President George Bush Sr even said something also the lines of, “when history is written, nobody is going to remember it took us 48 hours more than Iceland”.

But they did remember.

My husband and I were in Vilnius last week. At a local bookstore, we saw a petition with an Icelandic flag at the top and asked the woman in the shop what it was for. “We want to say thank you to Iceland for being so brave to stand with us,” she said proudly. “We are collecting 300,000 signatures, one for every person in Iceland, to take to the country to say thank you.” And she asked to shake my husband’s hand. “So thank you,” she said.

That petition, with an impressive 200,000 signatures, is now being transported to Iceland by the group of Lithuanian athletes. They are cycling to France, swimming across the Channel (well, one of them is) and then flying to Iceland where they plan on presenting the thank you to Reykjavík mayor Vilhjálmur Vilhjálmsson on Culture Night this Saturday. Best of all, the Lithuanian group who sang the brilliant song “We Are the Winners” at this year’s Eurovision Song Contest will be providing some musical entertainment.

And for that, I say achoo.

ER eliza@icelandreview.com

PS – For a hilarious summary of Iceland’s role in the Baltic struggle for independence, see this popular ad for Thule beer: www.kvikmynd.is. Click on íslenska auglysingar on the left hand column, then go to the bottom section and click on the small tab “Léttbjór”, then click on the ad for “Thule – Litháen”. Actually, you should watch all the Thule ads while you’re at it.

Iceland
    Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
    Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
    Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Iceland

Baltic Independence
    CSPA

Comment

Yes, Iceland.

Although, in the interest of history, Denmark was actually the first country to recognize the full independence of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania - the day before Iceland formally did so.

Let me, once again, quote from Uffe Ellemann-Jensen's Din Egen Dag Er Kort. He was Foreign Minister 1982-93. Excerpt from pages 144-45, translation by me.

Things started moving on Saturday. The Foreign Ministry had kept in contact with the three Baltic countries in order to assess at which point it could be said that they'd established actual control over their own territory, including the borders. It was quite important whether one could travel to the three countries, without first having to pay a visit at some Soviet counter to obtain a visum. In the late afternoon of Saturday, 24 August, it was clear that the situation now fulfilled the conditions for resumption of diplomatic contact, which had been set out in the protocols of cooperation which we'd finalised with the Balts six months earlier.

I had a brief telephone conversation with the Prime Minister Saturday night regarding the situation, and I then sent notification to the three capital cities informing that Denmark was resuming diplomatic ties. As we'd already recognised the countries 70 years prior, this was the manner in which to do it.

Thus, Denmark became the first country to recognize the full independence of the three countries in actual fact. The next day, Iceland made a formal recognition which was co-signed in Reykjavik by the three countries' Foreign Ministers. The first one to call me on Sunday morning was Norway's Foreign Minister, Thorvald Stoltenberg. When I'd explained to him our reasons for taking this action, he told me that Norway would follow suit that same day. Others followed. And in the days and weeks ahead, the wave of recognition would roll around the globe. On Tuesday, 27 August, we had a meeting of the EU Foreign Ministers in Brussels, and there I received mild criticism for having gone it alone, but the end result of the meeting was a nice and straight declaration which encouraged the un-delayed resumption of diplomatic ties with the three Baltic countries. Furthermore, the three Baltic Foreign Ministers were to be invited to the next meeting of the EU Council.

In the days that followed, the European countries reestablished their diplomatic relations with the Baltic countries. The United States did so on 2 September. There is no doubt that the steps taken by Denmark set off this process. Genscher [German Foreign Minister -W.] called me at home on Sunday morning and said, "Why didn't you wait until you'd had a chance to talk to the rest of us?" I said, "Because you'd have asked me to wait a while, and it'd have been much harder to press on." He grumbled a bit. But then accepted my point. He'd have done precisely the same if he'd been in my shoes. And then we agreed on working jointly for an association arrangement between the EU and the three countries.

When Denmark had to decide whether to take to the front of this matter, we were facing a window of opportunity, which can be found to be half-open on rare occasions, when a number of circumstances are present at the same time. And you have to creep through this window very swiftly, if it is not to slam shut. By taking the lead, Denmark ensured that the window would be left open just enough for others to be able to follow.

Uffe, Iceland, in that order

Comment

BTW, Uffe Ellemann-Jensen paid his first visit to all of the three countries no more than 14 days later. It proved to be a delightful and highly emotional tour, of which he has also written in his book.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf
          Iceland

Baltic Independence
          Northern Europe

Aquavit

Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
          Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Incidientially, I think Iceland was also the first to recognize Slovenia, Croatia and Bosnia. I'll check later.

Comment

BTW, Saras, link to the article you posted?

Comment

Thomas Møller Olsen, who has been in police custody as part of the Birna Brjánsdóttir murder investigation, has now been charged with attacking the 20-year-old on January 14.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

*yawn*

One tinpot backwater recognising another tinpot backwater. Excitement central
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Sexual frustration again, provie?

Comment

Originally posted by Saras

Aquavit

but still somewhat better than that Svartadaudir (meaning the black death) stuff Icelanders drink after eating urin-soaked putrid shark meat.
                        CSPA

Comment

Serb
                          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                            Incidientially, I think Iceland was also the first to recognize Slovenia, Croatia and Bosnia. I'll check later.
                            Aha! They're just trying to score points and, maybe, attract some tourists.
                            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

We'll pay them back in the next Eurovision. That's what Euro politics are all about after all - Eurovision votes

Comment

Working...
                              X