Well, it is not Castro, but.... Stroessner died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, it is not Castro, but.... Stroessner died

Afredo Stroessner was Paraguay's military leader for 35 years, from 1954 to 1989.

Under his rule the country became a haven for Nazi war criminals, peaceful opposition was crushed and the indigenous population was persecuted.

Stroessner was one of the great strongmen of South American politics. Indeed, during the 20th Century, only Cuba's Fidel Castro served as head of state in the continent for a longer period of time.

A violent dictator to many, others - most notably in the United States - saw him as a bulwark against communism.

Coup

Alfredo Stroessner Matiauda was born in Encarnacion in southern Paraguay in November 1912. The son of a German brewer, he joined the army at the age of 17, becoming a junior officer two years later.

Between 1932 and 1935 he saw action in the Chaco War, a conflict between Paraguay and Bolivia over an area incorrectly believed to contain vast oil reserves.

Paraguay's victory was also Gen Stroessner's, and he progressed easily through the army's ranks.

During the 1940s Paraguay became increasingly unstable, descending into civil war in 1947. Alfredo Stroessner was a key player through all this tumult.

By 1948 he was a brigadier general, the youngest general in the whole of South America. Three years later he was named commander in chief of the country's armed forces, becoming a hugely powerful figure.

And on 4 May 1954, General Stroessner led a military coup which toppled the government of Federico Chavez, before becoming president a few months later.

This continued the Paraguayan tradition, under which no president was elected democratically between its independence from Spain in 1811 and free elections in May 1993.

War criminals

Gen Stroessner's rule was marked by political repression. Many of his opponents were forced to flee into exile. Those who remained were harassed or imprisoned, and the media was heavily censored.

A personality cult sprung up around the general and his portrait became a regular sight throughout the country.

He also sought to forcibly assimilate Paraguay's indigenous Ache population, a policy which ended in bloodshed, sexual slavery and servitude.

And Paraguay became a bolt-hole for Nazi war criminals, including for a time the former SS doctor at Auschwitz, Josef Mengele.

For a time, Paraguay was highly favoured by the United States. Indeed, in 1965, Asuncion sent troops to fight with US Marines in the Dominican Republic in 1965 in what the US later said was a move to prevent a communist takeover.

But, later in his rule, Washington became increasingly unsettled about Paraguay's poor human rights record, gradually withdrawing its support as the years went by.

Gen Stroessner's achievements were limited. Together with the Brazilian government, he oversaw the building of the Itaipu dam on the Parana River.

This project, which also included the construction of the world's largest hydroelectric plant, vastly increased Paraguay's export revenues through the sale of electricity.

Stroessner was "re-elected" eight consecutive times before being himself overthrown in a military coup in February 1989 and going into exile in Brazil.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

By the way, the city I posted in the "guess the city" thread, Ciudad del Este, had its name change to Puerto Stroessner during his rule, and the name was changed back to Ciudad del Este in 1989 when he was kicked out of power.
    I need a foot massage

Never heard of him.
    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
      Never heard of him.
      Bolivia, Paraguay,

we are so irrelevant, and.... landlocked

j/k
      I need a foot massage

Comment

Mean, nasty fellow, especially at the end. Special place for him reserved by Lucifer. No one thinks he's a good guy.
        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

May he burn in hell. The only thing I regret about his death is that he died from old age and not a noose.

Comment

Another evil sh*t departs this world...this one was a particularly nasty piece of work...
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

He was a stabilizing influence to have in the area during the Cold War. And I believe his country saw some gradual economic development during his 35 years in power.

But I have no doubts as to his darker side. Most dictators have one, you know. But again, the hypocrisy is stunning. People pile hate upon hate toward Stroessner and Pinochet, but Castro is just so cool, you know.

Never heard of Stroessner bringing the world to the brink of nuclear annihilation.

Comment

You can just exchange names and your post still works.
                Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                  He was a stabilizing influence to have in the area during the Cold War. And I believe his country saw some gradual economic development during his 35 years in power.

But I have no doubts as to his darker side. Most dictators have one, you know. But again, the hypocrisy is stunning. People pile hate upon hate toward Stroessner and Pinochet, but Castro is just so cool, you know.

Never heard of Stroessner bringing the world to the brink of nuclear annihilation.

So he is nice as dictators go then? Well that's alright then Perhaps we should remember that all dictators are bastards...
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I didnt like that nazi bastard but that article isnt really very balanced, from wiki

"Stroessner was, however, known for several positive economic policies, including the building of the largest hydroelectric power plant in the world, with which he exported electricity to other countries, developing Paraguay's economy. He was also known for many infrastructure projects that improved the country's highway system. Another program that Stroessner supported was the granting of twenty hectares of arable lands for a nominal price to any soldier who completed military service, provided that the soldier would use the land for farming purposes. Over 10,000 soldiers took up this offer."

"Paraguayans remain divided on Stroessner and his controversial legacy. Many feel a strong sense of distaste toward him, perceiving him as a widely corrupt, authoritarian dictator. However, those who defend his legacy cite the political stability and economic progress that prevailed under his rule. But in general, his legacy has been a group of corrupt politicians still in power, and a general pessimism and mediocrity in Paraguay.
                    "

I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                      So he is nice as dictators go then?
                      Negatory. Learn to read.

Perhaps we should remember that all dictators are bastards...

Now you're getting it.

Comment

I'll keep this simple. Dictators

I think I'll leave further commentary to Paraguayans.

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

paraguay was screwed up by the War of the Triple Alliance.
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

They brought it unto themselves.
                            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

From the "Historical Filth" article on Paraguay-

Alfredo Stroessner (1912- )

Stroessner was the son of German immigrants. Many of the immigrants to Paraguay were German, and in the 1920's German nationalist groups kept springing up that were noted with approval by a certain Mr Hitler across the Atlantic. After 1945, Paraguay became one of the most popular destinations for fleeing Nazis seeking the solace of Aryan neighbours and a nicely militaristic dictatorship- most notably Josef Mengele.

Stroessner presents an example of what Hitler could have been if he hadn't been so determinedly expansionist. He was the longest-serving dictator in Latin American history, and quietly kept his atrocities within Paraguay's borders. His power was propped up by some shrewd diplomacy- Stroessner was the right-wing golden boy of the USA until the late 60's, and when his relationship with the States soured he allied himself to the Brazilian juntas. There were numerous large civil projects completed, but half Paraguay's economy was dedicated to the military (which, in Paraguay, exists to combat internal enemies, not external ones) that supported his regime.

Stroessner had two particular hallmarks- one was widespread persecution of the Indian minorities, the second was having political opponents thrown out of aeroplanes, leaving the Paraguayan landscape liberally dotted with splats of dissident puree. He was so good at this that he lasted until 1989 before being toppled in yet another military coup.
                              He was also a paedophile, and had the Secretary-General of the Paraguayan communist party chainsawed to death to the accompaniment of polka music. I know there's a school of thought that says one shouldn't speak ill of the dead, but Stroessner was evil.
                              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Working...
                              X