Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Economists: Raising the minimum wage might actually be good after all.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flip McWho
    Aye, in NZ we have a youth rate which is like a dollar or so less than the adult rate (age 18 being the difference), though both increase when the govt. adjusts the minimum wage.
    I have no great problem with that either, as I've said before.
    Old posters never die.
    They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

You're still causing economic damage to these businesses which are the primary employers of low-wage labor, and to the consumers who pay higher prices (these consumers comprise most of the population).
      Aye as I said earlier business' would probably soak up the minimum wage increase by upping prices slightly which would hurt the lower waged workers anyways.

Comment

I have no great problem with that either, as I've said before.
        Yeah, I've followed these threads before, though not indepthly. It's currently quite a bit of a debate in NZ, claims of discrimination against the youth are being thrown around.

Comment

IIRC, there were very few Americans actually making minimum wage (as opposed to making less than minimum wage) and many of those were part time workers. So I don't forsee that much effect one way or another. But what do I know?
          "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac

Eg a waitress in some restaurant. I haven't yet heard of robots that can do the job, so even if the wage is increased, they'll still need to hire the same number of people?

Inelastic demand I guess that would be called.
            You only forget that some existing restaurants will be closed because the rise in minimum wages makes them not profitable enough, and new restaurants will not be opened for the same reason. The demand to be referred to is not the demand of lunches but the demand of workers by restaurants owners.
            Statistical anomaly.
            The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

One of the negative consequences of a policy increasing systematically, every year, the minimum wage, in excess of the inflation rate, which is done here since the sixties, is that workers previously paid above the minimum become minimum salary workers. Right now, around 12% of the work force are paid the minimum wage. These people have no longer any motivation since they can hardly expect an individual salary rise. And this has created a population that expect their income progress not from their work but from politicals who get elected because they promise to grant generous increases of the minimum wage.
              Statistical anomaly.

Comment

This is aggravated when the government gives social charges reduction for minimum wages. This make impossible individual salary rise because a 10% promotion would cost much more.
                Statistical anomaly.

Comment

From Landsberg , whoever he is:

Ordinarily, when we decide to transfer income to some group or another—whether it be the working poor, the unemployed, the victims of a flood, or the stockholders of American Airlines—we pay for the transfer out of general tax revenue. That has two advantages: It spreads the burden across all taxpayers, and it makes politicians accountable for their actions. It's easy to look up exactly how much the government gave American, and it's easy to look up exactly which senators voted for it.
                  Those 'advantages' are pitiful. Spreading the burden across all taxpayers is not as fair as it sounds - the super rich and large corporations can often escape paying their fair share. And of course, it's perfectly easy to see who voted for the minimum wage.

Comment

Originally posted by Edan
                    IIRC, there were very few Americans actually making minimum wage (as opposed to making less than minimum wage) and many of those were part time workers. So I don't forsee that much effect one way or another. But what do I know?
                    There is a ratcheting effect whereby people who were making more than minimum (due to greater skills, harder work or a higher status job) will have their wages increased as well, or their employers will see them choose easier jobs that now pay the same amount. Davout's post shows the outcome of this effect when it has become completely institutionalized.
                    He's got the Midas touch.
                    But he touched it too much!
                    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by DAVOUT

You only forget that some existing restaurants will be closed because the rise in minimum wages makes them not profitable enough, and new restaurants will not be opened for the same reason. The demand to be referred to is not the demand of lunches but the demand of workers by restaurants owners.
                      Or the restaurant-owner will simply ignore the law all-together and employ personnel illegally. I'm surprised that a Belgian like Maniac doesn't think of that.
                      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Those 'advantages' are pitiful. Spreading the burden across all taxpayers is not as fair as it sounds - the super rich and large corporations can often escape paying their fair share. And of course, it's perfectly easy to see who voted for the minimum wage.

as opposed to the massive unfairness - and more importantly, economic distortion - of targetting a select class of businesses?

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Smith
                          ES-202 is an area census. IIRC Murphy and Welch went back and got the actual time cards from the establishments Card and Kreuger surveyed. That's a direct test of Card and Kreuger's survey result.

Also, ES-202 reports number of persons employed but not hours worked. If adjustments take place on the intensive margin (i.e., number of people employed stays the same, but hours of work falls), as seems likely if there are explicit or implicit hiring costs, then ES-202 data would not pick up the adjustment.
                          I thought M-W used CPS.
                          Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

Originally posted by DAVOUT
                            Right now, around 12% of the work force are paid the minimum wage.

Some statistics

Of workers paid hourly, 2.5% (ro about 1.9 million) make minimum wage or below, with .6% (or about 479,000) making minimum wage.

Edit: slightly newer numbers.
                            Last edited by Edan; August 8, 2006, 12:34.
                            "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Perhaps he's talking about French minimum wage?

Anyway, that issue illustrates an interesting problem (that my company could face) with raising the min wage up to 7.25 or so. That on top of the "big box" wage here in chicago that would require Target/HomeDepot/etc. to pay $10/hr to their employees; doesn't affect us directly, but what both laws would do would be to decrease the incentive for more skilled people to work for my company: higher pay.
                              We pay somewhat over the illinois minimum wage, as an initial rate, and then have some flexibility over that based on experience. A significant increase in the minimum wage would likely cause us to have to pay minimum wage, rather than somewhat above that wage, for our initial hires, and in addition could limit our ability to pay more to those with experience [as we'd have to worry about payroll]. That really sucks for us, because while we wouldn't be forced to raise our wages by a new min wage, we would be put in a quandry - either raise them anyway, to stay competitive vs other retailers, but hurt our payroll even more... or lose our competitive edge in getting new employees.
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                                Perhaps he's talking about French minimum wage?
                                Oh. Oops.

Comment

Working...
                                X