Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Many Unused Vacation Days Do You Have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reds4ever

I've been there 10 years, it's all annual (I never have any to carry over). The reason I get 31 is that the factory is open on bank holidays so if I want those off it takes 6 or 7 days straight off the top.
    Ah -- I have 10 years credit so I get extra flex dollars sufficient to take an extra 5 days on top of the standard 15 . (At 20 years you get even more flex dollars ). To that we add 11 statutory holididays and 24 Fridays off.
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I get none extra, it's either 45 years old or 10 years service and 45 years old to get the extra days.

So people who have been there 1 year but are 46 get more days than me!!

Comment

So people who have been there 1 year but are 46 get more days than me!!
        Ageism

With us its simply years of credited service. I ensured that 10 years credit was in my offer letter.

Everyone in the company gets the same 15 days vacation but after 10 and 20 years service you get 2% or 4% of your salary in "flex dollars". Since 2% of salary is the cost of an additional weeks vacation, you can make it into vacation if you want.

The interesting thing is that even if your flex dollar allotment is insufficient, you can still buy additional days off through payroll deduction. The end result is that anyone can get 25 days off
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Cool system

Here it's 2 weeks standard vacation, an additional week at 5 years, plus you can "buy" an additional week (essentially unpaid leave), which I always do.

It's gotten a little murkier since they merged vacation time and sick time, and I think there are more incremental steps where you get 2 days here, 2 days there as you accrue more service time.

IIRC, I got a total of 28 days this year (this includes my "bought" week) and because I rolled over 3 days, I had a grand total of 31.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I've been there 10 years, it's all annual (I never have any to carry over). The reason I get 31 is that the factory is open on bank holidays so if I want those off it takes 6 or 7 days straight off the top.
            Hmmm...yeah, I get 26 plus the 8 bank holidays so it's not too bad...plus I had a bonus day for company performance and some days rolled over from last year (I am allowed to roll over 5 days a year up to a maximum of 25 days).
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
              Cool system
              I like it . This year I didn't want to take all 5 "additional" days so I used the flex bucks to pay for benefits and shares (everyone gets a lump sum plus 1% of salary-- plus their service entitlement but the reality is that the base amount just about perfectly pays for what the average person takes in benefits)

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison

Hmmm...yeah, I get 26 plus the 8 bank holidays so it's not too bad...plus I had a bonus day for company performance and some days rolled over from last year (I am allowed to roll over 5 days a year up to a maximum of 25 days).
                I get the impression that they don't want you at work.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin

I get the impression that they don't want you at work.
                  I love it when our interests align
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

4. However I'm only working there for 11 weeks, and not taking them means I get a nice £320 bonus at the end. Which is very helpful for my last year of uni next year.

I love the fact I get paid over $150 a day to work for a summer while I'm still at university
                    Smile
                    For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                    But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison

I love it when our interests align
                      Works for me as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue
                        4. However I'm only working there for 11 weeks, and not taking them means I get a nice £320 bonus at the end. Which is very helpful for my last year of uni next year.

I love the fact I get paid over $150 a day to work for a summer while I'm still at university
                        And how many hours a day are you working? If you're living just across the river from me, we should have a drink at some point.
                        Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Re: Re: How Many Unused Vacation Days Do You Have?

Originally posted by Oerdin

It's better to use them then cash them out.
                          That has been the rule forever, but it's wrong, if you don't mind working.

Even though it is paid at 90% fo base(?) pay, think of it this way:

Last 2 weeks of your service, you take the 14 days, get paid your standard pay.

Work the last 2 weeks, get standard pay + 90% of base pay for cashing in the leave.

Plus, with Patroklos being in the Navy, unless he has duty, he has the weekends off.

So he only has to work 10 days, taking 14 days of leave, he has to use them on days he already has off.

ACK!
                          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

High levels of federal employees here get 1/4 of the year off in holiday, personal days, and sick days...

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

It can't be that high. That would mean 91.25 days off per year (365/4=91.25). Even if you're only talking about work days 260 work days (5 days per week times 52 weeks in a year) your still talking 65 paid days off per year.

Everyone (almost everyone anyway) gets 104 days off due to weekends (Saturday and Sunday), there are an additional 11 government mandated holidays per year in the US, so that is a standard 115 days off per year. That's 31.5% of all days in a year. That hasn't even counted sick days and/or holidays (other then the standard government holidays) so assuming 3-5 sick days per year and 10 days holiday time you end up with an average of 128-130 days off per year for the average employee. You're telling me government workers get even more time off?
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

yeah...

high level federal employees (~level 32) get off, 1/2 a week a month holiday, and 1/2 a week a month sick and/or personal

it is really huge..

Jon Miller
                                (the charts I was looking at was for the forestry service)
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN
                                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                                X