Dum-Dums that don't take Vaccinations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snoopy369
    This is prominent amongst groups least likely to trust the government - ie, libertarians, fundamentalist religions believers, and communists.
    I suspect libertarians and commies are very likely to get their kids vaccinated since we're big believers in science.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Vaccinations are, by and large, a good thing. Those who don't get vaccinated deserve every preventable disease they get.

It's the wages of being anti-science.

What? If getting VDs like a pregnancy you don't want is a "wage of sin", being anti-science, anti-progress, anti-medicine, ought to have its own wages too.
      B♭3

Comment

MMR vaccine is resisted by some because of a risk of autism allegedly associated with the vaccine. CDC has generally stood behind the vaccine as not causally related to autism, but the print and television media have supported a significant public dissemination of false or misleading information on this subject, leading many who do not have the resources or scientific understanding to debunk this myth themselves, to believe it, and therefore withold the vaccine from their children.
        I went round and round with this with my ex-wife, who is one of the non-scientific types you mention. She did not want to vaccinate the children because of this risk. I thought we should even if the risk is there, because the risk/reward for being vaccinated is much better.

Anyway, recent research is showing that the vaccination fears may have actually been justified to some extent. There's plenty of research that has come out in the last year. Here is one example of a link that discusses the findings. To summarize:
        • Vaccines are not a problem.
        • The form of mercury used to preserve the vaccine is a problem.
        • It's not a problem for most people, but
        • Infants who get the vaccine are at higher risk because of small body mass.
        • There seems to be a genetic factor for susceptibility.

Comment

During inprocessing at Ft Lewis a month ago, everyone had to get MMR shots because of all the outbreaks in the midwest. They weren't going to take any chances.
          "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
          "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
          "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
          "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
            Everybody got measels when I was young. You got it, you suffered a while. You're fine.

I suspect you're thinking of chicken pox. Measles has always been considered a very serious disease. I didn't know a singl person who had it growing up, and I lived many different places in the states. I suspect we're about the same age, and since your country has a better health care system, I doubt your experience would be worse than mine.

Of course, it's also possible that given decent health care, measles is not a serious disease. After all, who among us fears the common cold. Yet it is the number one killer of humans world wide. In the late 80s/early 90s, it was killing 15 million infants a year according to a PBS documentary I watched. They'd get diarhea and die of dehydration.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

No, I mean measles, but chicken pox was common too. I'd imagine it became a whole lot less common for people younger than I since the vaccine was discovered about the time I was born (1963-64). I never got it, but I did get them.

Reading up on it, apparently the measels are very bad news for people with poor nutrition, which makes sense. It was not a deadly disease for me and my friends.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

canadians are dirty birds
                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

The Navy forced me to get small pox, leaves a nast scar on your arm.

They offer Anthrax, but you can decline it. The problem is that it is a series of six shots over a period of a year, and honesly I have never had the time to get all six as scheduled.

Alot of people opt out of Anthrax because of the false media hype, guess they are all actually religious nutjobs eh?
                  "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Perhaps one should have more respect for others' beliefs before judging them based on prejudice and hate ... unless you have more in common with Mel Gibson than you'd like us to believe?
                    No, there is respecting other people's beliefs and then their is standing up to what is wrong. Denying children medical care due to religious beliefs endangers the child's life and so must be opposed. The child's right to life trumps the parents religon.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                      The Navy forced me to get small pox, leaves a nast scar on your arm.

They offer Anthrax, but you can decline it. The problem is that it is a series of six shots over a period of a year, and honesly I have never had the time to get all six as scheduled.

Alot of people opt out of Anthrax because of the false media hype, guess they are all actually religious nutjobs eh?
                      I have a small bumb fromt he small pox vaccine and in the Army they don't even give you the option of skipping the anthrax vaccine. You just take it.

I can't say either was that bad.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

No, there is respecting other people's beliefs and then their is standing up to what is wrong. Denying children medical care due to religious beliefs endangers the child's life and so must be opposed. The child's right to life trumps the parents religon.
                        A lot of non-religious parents have a problem with shooting their infant up with mercury.

Funny that.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

This seems wise.

CHICKENPOX
                          In past years chickenpox was a common childhood illness that was a part of everyday life. Almost everyone got chickenpox, missed a week of school, endured a week of intense itching, and got through it without incident. The problem was that not everyone got through the illness without incident. Approximately 1 in 70,000 cases are fatal, and almost all of these are in previously normal, healthy adults and children. Additionally, missed school days and missed workdays take an economic toll. With the introduction of the chickenpox vaccine, all this has changed. Here are some of the reasons for and against vaccinating your child for this illness:

There are four advantages to getting the vaccine:

It is 85% effective in preventing your children from having to go through this very uncomfortable illness
                          The illness tends to be milder in vaccinated children
                          You avoid the extremely rare but life-threatening complications of the illness (approximately 40 normal, healthy children die each year in the U.S. from chickenpox – this is about 1 in 70,000 cases)
                          This vaccine may protect against adult shingles (a form of chickenpox)

There are three disadvantages to the vaccine (and therefore, advantages to getting the illness):

Although this is a mild illness for children, it can be very dangerous for adolescents and adults. Since the vaccine may wear off later in life, a booster may be required for adults.
                          Getting this illness as a child provides excellent lifetime immunity
                          Catching chickenpox during pregnancy can be very harmful to the fetus or newborn baby. Getting the illness during childhood virtually insures protection from this.
                          Perhaps the best of both choices is to get the shot, and then also get the illness. It will be milder, and you'll get better lifelong immunity. As immunization rates increase for chickenpox, the disease will become much less common. Perhaps in 20 years, we won't even need to worry about exposure to this disease anymore. Click on Chickenpox Vaccine for a complete discussion.

Yeah. You can get it when you're a kid and be immune for life, or you can shoot more **** up and still get it when you're 65 when it'll kill you.

Sounds like a great plan to me.

Do you own shares in pharmaceuticals, Oerdin?

I'm left wondering how you get vaccinated and then go out and get infected... Are there swimming pools where one may bathe in the virus?

And then, why would one want to take a vaccine when getting the actual illness is a better guard?
                          Last edited by notyoueither; August 4, 2006, 04:42.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)

Comment

My friend (who serves in the lithuanian SF), before he went to participate in Enduring Freedom, got so many vaccinations that his health was completely ****ed up. That or the case of "pipe sh|ts".
                            Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                            Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                            Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

I have a small bumb fromt he small pox vaccine and in the Army they don't even give you the option of skipping the anthrax vaccine. You just take it.

I can't say either was that bad.
                              I had both. After the smallpox thing (for some reason they decided that I had been vaccinated in the past, and stabed me 15 times instead of 5) I felt as if I would rather take an anthrax shot to the nuts than go through the smallpox vaccine again.
                              Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

A lot of non-religious parents have a problem with shooting their infant up with mercury.
                                Don't you want them to get their nutritious nuerotoxin?

Or how about giving age groups inappropriate vaccines. Like, say, hepatitus B to newborns. With the fact being hep B is spread as a STD and from intravaneous drug use. A newborn needs to be posioned with mercury for hep that early in its life?
                                "Truth against the world" - Eire

Comment

Working...
                                X