French fries back on House menu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

French Fries

It just goes to show that you can't keep their deep-fried, obesity-inducing, potatoey goodness down.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Why are they called "French" fries? Not that I thought the name change was anything but blather, funny in its own way.
      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

We call them Pommes Frites anyway
        Blah

Comment

Re: Re: French fries back on House menu

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

You already have a waffle, don't push it.
          But we don't even eat waffles ourselves!!!
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Origin

The logical explanation of the origin of the North American name of the dish is that it derives from potatoes that have been "fried in the French manner". The English verb fry is ambiguous: it can refer to both to sautéing and to deep-fat frying, while the French pommes frites or patates frites ("fried potatoes") refers unambiguously to deep frying.

Some feel that the word "french" in "french fries" refers to the verb "to french", which means "to cut in thin lengthwise strips before cooking" (Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Tenth Ed.) On the other hand, "to french" is defined as "to prepare, as a chop, by partially cutting the meat from the shank and leaving bare the bone so as to fit it for convenient handling" (Oxford English Dictionary) in other dictionaries, seeming to suggest that the meaning of this process is not necessarily as set as it may appear. In addition, the verb "to french" did not start appearing until after "french fried potatoes" had appeared in the English-speaking world.

Other accounts say that they were once called 'German fries' but the name was changed either for political reasons (Germany was the enemy of the United States and Allied forces during WWI and WWII) or for simple historical reasons (a traditional theory poses that it was in France during World War I that American soldiers first encountered the dish). This seems unlikely, as Germany was not as famous for its "french fries" as other European countries, in addition to the fact that German immigrants did not seem to bring the dish over to the United States.

The Belgians are noted for claiming that french fries are Belgian in origin, but have presented no absolute evidence; the French have also been cited as possible creators of the dish, though most in France associated fries with Belgium. The Spanish claim that the dish was invented in Spain, the first European country in which the potato appeared via the New World colonies, and then spread to Belgium which was then under Spanish rule. However, as Belgian immigrants lived in Spain at the time, it may have well been a 'Spanish' dish invented by a Belgian chef. Whether or not french fries were invented in Belgium or Spain, they have become the national dish, and they (Belgium) are the "symbolic" creators, at least for the rest of Europe. Another claim is that the inclusion of the word "French" in the fried potatoes is most likely a confusion as to the nationality of those who introduced the food to American and Canadian soldiers in World War I. When American and Canadian soldiers were stationed in southern Belgium, where many major battles of World War I took place, they were served "pommes frites". Since the region of Belgium the soldiers were in was predominantly French-speaking, the soldiers brought the dish back to North America incorrectly as "french fries".
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
              French

French fries

Beer
              Mexican beer (dont ask)

Liberty cabbage

Boardwalk fries

Boardwalks

Saltwater Taffy

Turkish Taffy

Turkish Taffy, my EU AAR about the Ottoman empire, being generally ignored

Not being able to play Paradox games, cause the laptop is in the shop

Getting Colonization to play on the ancient desktop

Tech problems with Colonization

Playing colonization for Dos instead
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Colonization

Hot Dogs
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                  Getting Colonization to play on the ancient desktop

Tech problems with Colonization

Playing colonization for Dos instead
                  Not getting the mouse to work in DOS on ancient desktop and therefore being condemned with constant crashes by playing it in Win 98.
                  DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

French fries are called pommes frites here, or actually "pomfritter", which, now that I think about it, has a slightly naughty ring to it when typed on an English-language board..

Comment

while the French pommes frites or patates frites ("fried potatoes") refers unambiguously to deep frying.
                      I knew it. French at heart.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by atawa
                        Where is the Dutch fries option?
                        Yeah! Patatje speciaal

Actually, French fries is the only good thing we got from Belgium. And the saxophone of course
                        Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                        And notifying the next of kin
                        Once again...

Comment

What else is there?

Comment

Sprouts.

Again, I'm reminded of the Monty Python sketch where a TV-show host asked viewers to call in with their suggestions for a derogatory term for Belgians. "The Sprouts" was tabled, as was "The Phlegms", and one caller thought they shouldn't be called anything at all, just ignored. But in the end, they decided the winning entry was clearly "Miserable fat Belgian bastards".

Yeah, sprouts, and divine inspiration for crazy comedy shows.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                              What else is there?
                              Hey! Without Adolphe Sax's invention there wouldn't be a music scene in Austin
                              Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                              And notifying the next of kin
                              Once again...

Comment

I mean, what else worth a damn do they have to offer?
                                A hunk of metal?

Comment

Working...
                                X