Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French fries back on House menu

French fries back on House menu
    French fries are back on the menu in the US House of Representatives, three years after the name was ditched in favour of "freedom fries."

House Republicans renamed fries and French toast in 2003 to protest at France's opposition to the war on Iraq.

The patriotic name change hit the headlines at the time but the change back is getting much less coverage.

A House official would only say that fries are no longer being offered under the "freedom" nomenclature.

The Washington Times newspaper contacted aides of the two congressmen behind the move to "freedom fries " to see if they could shed light on the change back.

"We don't have a comment for your story," a spokeswoman for Republican representative Bob Ney told the newspaper.

At the time, Mr Ney, who together with Walter Jones pushed for "freedom fries", said the action was "a small but symbolic effort to show the strong displeasure of many on Capitol Hill with the actions of our so-called ally, France".

The move followed the lead of a North Carolina restaurant whose owner said he got the idea from similar protest action against Germany during World War I, when sauerkraut was renamed liberty cabbage and frankfurters became hot dogs.

The switch to "freedom fries" was seen as reflecting the anti-French sentiment among some lawmakers who felt President Jacques Chirac betrayed the US by opposing its policy on Iraq.

The Senate cafeterias never changed their menus.

A spokeswoman for the French embassy asked about current French-US ties told the Washington Times that the two countries were working closely on the Middle East.

"Our relations are much more important than potatoes," she said.

"French fries are back on the menu in the Capitol, back on the presidential dinner menu and our relations are back on track."

Story from BBC NEWS:
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Published: 2006/08/02 21:38:53 GMT

© BBC MMVI
    Is this an implicit admission that the French were right? Also, shouldn't they have made use of the opportunity to rename them to Belgian fries?
    Belgian fries
    21.21%
    French fries
    39.39%
    Freedom fries
    12.12%
    Fried bananas
    27.27%
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Fries.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Re: French fries back on House menu

Originally posted by Colon™
      Is this an implicit admission that the French were right? Also, shouldn't they have made use of the opportunity to rename them to Belgian fries?
      You already have a waffle, don't push it.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

This whole Freedom Fries thing shows just how stupid most of the people in government really are. I imagine it also says something about the people who vote for them.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
          This whole Freedom Fries thing shows just how stupid most of the people in government really are. I imagine it also says something about the people who vote for them.
          I always hoped it was some tiny sign that the politicians involved had some sort of sense of humor.

Comment

I took it as sense of humor, while shoving it up France's ass in implication.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Where is the Dutch fries option?

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand

In otherwords, you took it seriously.
                Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Re: French fries back on House menu

Originally posted by Colon™

I think it's more of an implicit admission that the name change was ridiculous, myself.
                  "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

How about 'Gallic Splinters'?

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd

In otherwords, you took it seriously.

I never ordered "freedom fries". So in other words, BZZZZ! Wrong answer!

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                        I'd believe that, if only Ney hadn't been so serious about it.

Also, if it had actually been funny. Which it wasn't. It's the kind of joke a retarded ex-GNAA NAMBLA HARDMAN dumbass would try to pull, only with worse timing and panache. The kind of joke that you look at the person and then say, "You're a ****ing ******."
                        B♭3

Comment

Re: Re: French fries back on House menu

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

You already have a waffle, don't push it.

Kerry was teh Belgium? Here I thought he was teh French.
                          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

French

French fries

Beer
                            Blah

Comment

French beer? I thought they were into wine.

Comment

Working...
                              X