Fidel Castro may die soon, for real!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lodi
    Che is right. Castro will live to be well over one hundred years of age. Also, he will not be afraid to tell off future President Jenna Bush and Vice President Other-twin Bush.
    hehe ... Ben Bova had some interesting presidents, including one where the husband and wife ran together, and ended up with the wife being pres when the husband dies, and they wimp out to the soviets.

Imagine Bill and Hillary running together ...
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by johncmcleod
      At least Castro gave the Cubans great medicine and education, and kept it from being subject to American economic dominance.
      I challenge you to recall all of the negatives and balance that against the so called positives without feeling silly or ashamed of yourself.
      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
      2004 Presidential Candidate
      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Cuba as a pseudo colony of the United States had batista or other pro USA dictators continued, would have a standard of life now at least as good as Puerto Rico imo, which I think is a lot highers than Cuba (never been to Puerto Rico, but they have a quite high gdp per capita, like 17.000), and most likely by the 80´s 90´s it would have become a democracy like all latin american countries which had pro american dictators in the 70´s 60´s etc

In spite of that, I would still rather live in cuba than in haiti, republica dominicana, and most central american countries but panama and el salvador.
        I need a foot massage

Comment

There's not a lot of difference other than in miles. 90 miles isn't much.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
            Cuba as a pseudo colony of the United States had batista or other pro USA dictators continued, would have a standard of life now at least as good as Puerto Rico imo, which I think is a lot highers than Cuba (never been to Puerto Rico, but they have a quite high gdp per capita, like 17.000), and most likely by the 80´s 90´s it would have become a democracy like all latin american countries which had pro american dictators in the 70´s 60´s etc

In spite of that, I would still rather live in cuba than in haiti, republica dominicana, and most central american countries but panama and el salvador.
            Puerto Rico may have a high GDP but it really has a very skewed and weak economy, and a lot of that money comes from either tourism or federal subsidies. Plus the cost of living is very high.

Castro and the revolution have laid the foundation for a Cuba that is certainly poised to do much better than its neighbors. Had Castro followed the Chinese example then Cuba would have a much stronger economy today, but he got rid of the small economic liberalization that they undertook in the early 90's.

That said, Cuba has created an education and health field that will, once the eocnomy is liberalized, allow it to have a more diverse economy than one based purely on tourism.
            If you don't like reality, change it! me
            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

And their athletes, like Teofilo Stevens, won't be held down.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                And their athletes, like Teofilo Stevens, won't be held down.
                Um, Teófilo Stevenson is 54 now. Who's he gonna fight? Foreman?

ACK!
                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Like. As in, in similar fashion. He should be richer than that punk Tyson. Instead, he has Golden Gloves on his resume. Maybe others won't. Ditto..any profession.

Comment

Yeah but i used his correct name too!

I used to love watching those Sunday team boxing matches, the USA vs. USSR, USA vs. Cuba etc.

ACK!
                    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

The hipocrisy of Americans is outrageous. Everyone is making a huge deal about it and getting excited the Cubans will be free. Yet there are so many more regimes in our world worse than Castro's, and no one cares. And the whole in 'our own backyard' argument doesn't work either. Do you think people in America were celebrating when Batista was thrown out of power? He was another despicable, brutal, authoritarian dictator. But he was pro-western and capitalist, and it was okay. Now the next dictator in the same country is satan reincarnated. Did people in America celebrate when the regimes of Nicaragua, Guatemala, or El Salvador were overthrown? Of course not. They were the same capitalist, US supported regimes that no one cares about. At least Castro gave the Cubans great medicine and education, and kept it from being subject to American economic dominance.
                      If your going to be a murdering, dictatoral ******* at least do it for an economic ideology that works.

In any case Bastia and crowd never had PR campaigns included events like the Bay of Pigs or the Cuban missile crisis.

There is also the fact that the Cuban expatriot community in America dwarfs all the other Latin American coutries put together.
                      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Back to sports.

Yeah he was great.

Comment

I challenge you to recall all of the negatives and balance that against the so called positives without feeling silly or ashamed of yourself.
                          I challenge you to actually read my posts. I said at least, clearly indicating that I didn't actually approve of Castro (something I stated earlier). I am not trying to prove that Castro wasn't bad, I am pointing out that the only dictators Americans have a problem with are the ones our government and media have pointed out.

If your going to be a murdering, dictatoral ******* at least do it for an economic ideology that works.

In any case Bastia and crowd never had PR campaigns included events like the Bay of Pigs or the Cuban missile crisis.

There is also the fact that the Cuban expatriot community in America dwarfs all the other Latin American coutries put together.
                          No, if you're going to be a murdering dictatorial ******** at least improve health care and education in your country and don't whore your people to an economic system that benefits the first world and keeps your own in poverty.

The Bay of Pigs and Cuban missile crisis created by Cuba for PR reasons? I have to say I've never heard that one before. Batista was a brutal dictator who worked for the US for the US's economic benefit. And no one had a problem with what he did. But when there is a dictator who opposes the US, now there is a problem.

You must be from Miami. I have never met a Cuban in my area, all of the Latinos in the northwest are from Mexico or other Latin American nations. And anyway, I am not talking about the Cuban population celebrating. I am talking about average Americans who don't know many Cubans or have any connection to Cuba making a big deal about Castro. The only reason they oppose Castro enough to talk about him is because the US has made an enemy of him.

No one seems to be understanding the point I am trying to make. I am not trying to justify Castro. I am merely pointing out that if this were just about any other nation on earth, no one would care. Our government and media have made Castro the devil because of his defiance to American economic domination. But any other dictator, either just as bad as Castro or worse, is not mentioned. Did people rejoice when Somoza was kicked out of power in Nicaragua? Of course not. People didn't care, because he was an ally of the US. Do people care about Mugabe or any other brutal African dictator? Of course not, because they aren't enemies of the US.
                          "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

And neither are they exactly relevant right now.

Comment

Is he dead yet?
                              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                              2004 Presidential Candidate
                              2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

The Bay of Pigs and Cuban missile crisis created by Cuba for PR reasons?
                                Did I say that? I simply said they ended up being huge PR for Castro, the world knew his name after that.

And as far as enemies, Cuba did a little more than most to erin our ire, via said missile crisis.

And for whatever reason, are you going to blame Americans for celebrating the fall of anyone who himself professes himself as our enemy (long before we did him btw).
                                "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Working...
                                X