Blair expected to be offered seat in Murdoch's boardroom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blair expected to be offered seat in Murdoch's boardroom

Could the connections between government and big business be any more obvious?

"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

If he was going to join while he still was prime minister, then yes, but since it's about his doings after retirement, then no.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

No, but he is getting rewarded for his actions. Politicians know that if they play the game right, they get to do things afterwards like sit on the board of a major corporation.

Edit: Notyoueither, do you mean the typo? I wrote it quickly and didn't check for spelling.
      Last edited by johncmcleod; July 29, 2006, 20:24.
      "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

Own goal!
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Yeah, Blair didn't really want to be prime minster - all he really wanted was a site in Murdochs empire

You are aware of the fact that when you wear a tinfoil hat, then you are in more danger to be controlled by big brother than if you don't
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Yeah, Blair didn't really want to be prime minster - all he really wanted was a site in Murdochs empire
            That is NOT what I said or meant. Obviously a successful career in politics is what any politician wants, but when in power there are certain interests they have to cater to.

Comment

Yup, they have two chices - promoting their own policy or what they think are the most common policy of their voters.

Since Blair obviously has dropped the second, he must be going for the first. Somehow I think that this seriously collidies with your conspiracy theory.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Funny there wasn't a similar thread when Gerhard Schröder had his case of Drang nach Osten.

Comment

It isn't a 'conspiracy theory,' it is common sense. The desires of businesses and voters are not mutually exclusive. Obviously, if there is an issue that would majorly piss voters off, the person in power probably wouldn't want to do this. However, if it is something the general populace won't majorly care about or know about (which is a helluva a lot), then the politician is fine. America is the perfect example; the US government has had imperialistic policies that favor big business for this last century and has acted on the policies, in turn harming a lot of people, but no one cares.

Comment

In an ideal world, Blair would have his citizenship revoked because of this. I doubt he'll even be kicked out of the Labour Party.

Comment

In an ideal world, Blair would have his citizenship revoked because of this.

In an ideal world, people you disagree with would lose their citizenship? Such a good liberal - you sound like Ann Coulter.

Comment

this should not come as a great surprise to anyone. :/
                        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

For one brief , terrifying moment , I read "boardroom" as "bedroom" .

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                            In an ideal world, Blair would have his citizenship revoked because of this.

In an ideal world, people you disagree with would lose their citizenship? Such a good liberal - you sound like Ann Coulter.
                            It's not disagreement. I object to what is essentially delayed bribery.

Comment

BlackCat

Originally posted by BlackCat
                              You are aware of the fact that when you wear a tinfoil hat
                              This is naked bribery, and you're cheering for it because you don't want to be associated with the political beliefs of the person who reported it to you. Grow up.

Comment

Working...
                              X