Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the US start an 'American Foriegn Legion'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lancer
    and get more ethnic eateries, and when they bring their daughters over well you get my point.
    I can't say no to anyone who brings food and their daughters.

Originally posted by Whaleboy
    What's so funny?
    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
      Unqualified people being allowed to join: like the overweight, asthmatics, criminals, etc. We don't have enough people wanting to join, so they're granting all sorts of waivers . . . except to fags. Fags aren't allowed in the military.
      I agree with that stance. Smoking.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin

I agree with that stance. Smoking.
        International linguistic problems.

Well I better get ready for work, starting with a nice douche.

Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278

I can't say no to anyone who brings food and their daughters.
          Those ar my favorite kind of people.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I voted banana. I don't think it's really a question of 'should'.

But relying on foreigners to make up the military numbers isn't a sign of a civilization on the up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
              Well I better get ready for work, starting with a nice douche.
              Uh Lancer...it might be time to start looking for a job where you're not required to wear women's clothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                We already accept foreign citizens into the military as a step towards citizenship. When they successfully complete their enlistment then they get citizenship.

If foreigners are going to be in our uniform then I'd like them working with Americans so that they can learn American cultural values, etc...
                Agreed, a foriegn legion would be redundant.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                  I voted banana. I don't think it's really a question of 'should'.

But relying on foreigners to make up the military numbers isn't a sign of a civilization on the up.
                  Sure, Rome did this and employed German, Spanish, and French barbarians. If we just avoid these we should be fine.

No really, the world has changed since Roman times.

"Uh Lancer...it might be time to start looking for a job where you're not required to wear women's clothing."

Don't infwinge on my wights!
                  Long time member @ Apolyton
                  Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Relying on foreigners is a Very Bad thing. Relying on all citizens would be ideal. If passing a broad citizenship test would be required in order to get to join the proposed legion, it would mean increasingly relying on first-generation immigrants, not foreign mercenaries.

Comment

davout brings up an interesting point... I've molded my opinion on AFL after the FFL, that works well. However, people join FFL for military reasons mostly and not citizenship reasons even if they decide to get it.

Also, FFL is fairly small group, about 8000 strong so... it can be managed fairly well.
                      In da butt.
                      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I was actually thinking about this the other day at work and thought that it wouldn't be too bad of an idea. It would probably draw all kinds of protests from several minority groups, hispanics mostly I'm sure and their bleeding heart liberal defenders. Maybe even give the illegals the option when they are caught. Deportation or enlistment, but that isn't much of a solution either since most deportees will tell you that with in a week they will be back in country anyways. If kept small, maybe around 10k or 15k, it could work. At that size it wouldn't make much of a differance other than we could bring some of our Nat Gaurd troops home where they belong.
                        "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton
                        "Guinness sucks!" -- Me

Comment

Working...
                        X