No announcement yet.

Chicago inacts Living Wage ordinance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the masta doesn't provide you with enough cornbread, get two mastas!
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

The minimum wage is better than welfare in almost every way.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
        In a lessor of two evils way, yes.
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Can a Brit point out to two diametrically politically opposed Yanks that it's 'precedes' ?
          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

No, that would be very wrong.
            Long time member @ Apolyton
            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
              Now, now. You're not really any fun when you act all arrogant.
              I never said anything about my own abilities. I just asked a pretty general question.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

And they already PAY for those public resources! What, you want to penalize them because you don't think the public representatives got 'enough'?

You are obviously missing the point here.

The public controls a very lucrative and valuable resource. They would simply be charging the owners of sports franchises more to use those resources in order to generate more revenue to fund education and/or other programs. It's simple supply and demand Imran.

Why you are perceiving it as a form of punishment is beyond me. You seem to think the owners of sports franchises have some sort of sense of entitlement to use the public's resources. They don't. The public can decide to allocate those resources as it sees fit.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe

In a lessor of two evils way, yes.
                  Both help people, so conservatives think they're evil.
                  I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                  - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by hexagonian
                    If a job isn't providing enough money for you, do what I do...work 2 jobs.
                    Because the point is to work less and get paid more.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                      Living Wage - well intentioned... but I don't think it's the answer.
                      Well-intentioned but wrong ideas we all know what road those pave.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                        Because the point is to work less and get paid more.
                        Then fire most of the cashiers and replace them with machines already, dammit.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Then fire most of the cashiers and replace them with machines already, dammit.
                          Give me control of the machines and I will.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                            Except that it's an ass-backwards economic policy. It removes the entry-level jobs on the very low end of the scale, jobs that are actually critical to helping the people who would otherwise be on welfare. Without those entry-level jobs people can't get the basic job skills necessary to enter the workforce and make a living wage through their own productivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava

You are obviously missing the point here.

The public controls a very lucrative and valuable resource. They would simply be charging the owners of sports franchises more to use those resources in order to generate more revenue to fund education and/or other programs. It's simple supply and demand Imran.

Why you are perceiving it as a form of punishment is beyond me. You seem to think the owners of sports franchises have some sort of sense of entitlement to use the public's resources. They don't. The public can decide to allocate those resources as it sees fit.
                              Because the public has ALREADY charged the owners the price of that resource. Duh! It's a penalty because for most of these 'public resources' you will have to go back and charge a far higher rate to get them to 'fund education'. Unless you are willing to wait out their long running leases (if the teams haven't already bought the stadiums out).

And if you charge stations that show sports more for use of airwaves that those that don't, how is that not a penalty? Charging more for use of the same resource at the same time is always considered a penalty!
                              Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; July 27, 2006, 15:15.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Except that it's an ass-backwards economic policy. It removes the entry-level jobs on the very low end of the scale, jobs that are actually critical to helping the people who would otherwise be on welfare. Without those entry-level jobs people can't get the basic job skills necessary to enter the workforce and make a living wage through their own productivity.
                                Paid training is a lot better for creating skills.

Comment

Working...
                                X