Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago inacts Living Wage ordinance

Chicago:

And guess which bunch of evil corporate bastards opposed it? That's right, WAL-MART!

CHICAGO - Brushing aside warnings from Wal-Mart, the City Council approved an ordinance Wednesday that makes Chicago the biggest city in the nation to require big-box retailers to pay a "living wage."

"It's trying to get the largest companies in America to pay decent wages," said Alderman Toni Preckwinkle.

The ordinance passed 35-14 after three hours of impassioned debate.

The measure requires mega-retailers with over $1 billion in annual sales and stores of at least 90,000 square feet to pay workers at least $10 an hour in wages plus $3 in fringe benefits by mid-2010. The current minimum wage in Illinois is $6.50 an hour and the federal minimum is $5.15.

Mayor Richard M. Daley and others warned the living wage proposal would drive jobs and desperately needed development from some of the city's poorest neighborhoods and lead giants like Wal-Mart to abandon the city.

Wal-Mart spokesman John Bisio said earlier that if the measure passed, "We'd redirect our focus on our suburban strategy and see how we could better serve our city of Chicago residents from suburban Chicagoland."

Chicago has been at the center of the debate about the wages at big retailers ever since the city's rejection of a proposal by Wal-Mart to open a store on the South Side prompted the company to open a store just outside the city limits.

The first Wal-Mart in Chicago itself is set to open in September, and the Bentonville, Ark.-based company has more than 40 other stores within 50 miles of the city.

Wal-Mart said that its average hourly wage is almost $11 an hour in the Chicago area and that the lowest wage that will be paid at the new West Side store will be $7.25 an hour.

That's a good thing. However, it won't be enough, as managerial scumbags will go to the closest suburbs for their activity. For the ordinance to actually bring a good living to the citizens of the area, Chicago needs to convice the entire metropolitan area to practice such wage.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

this does nothing
      it's nice to see that they recognize that wages aren't keeping up with CoL. However, this does nothing to curb inflation, the real culrpit.

All the did was prolong the inevitable, and in many cases may have worsened the impending crash.

I'm a doomsdayist
      Monkey!!!

Comment

For exactly the same reasons as in the other thread: it's society's obligation, not their employers'. It makes no sense to penalize those who are already giving these people jobs, which will just result in fewer of them being employed and more of them sitting unproductively collecting welfare. Better they work and receive government support.

Comment

better they work for the government for support
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

For exactly the same reasons as in the other thread: it's society's obligation, not their employers'. It makes no sense to penalize those who are already giving these people jobs, which will just result in fewer of them being employed and more of them sitting unproductively collecting welfare. Better they work and receive government support.
            I hear this argument every time there's a bump up in the minimum wage. And what happens is that the employees have more money to spend, they spend it, the economy picks up, and in the end, employers hire more employees.

Putting more money into the hands of consumers.

Comment

How did Wal-Mart "oppose it"? They just said they'd redirect their focus outside the city to the suburbs.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                I hear this argument every time there's a bump up in the minimum wage. And what happens is that the employees have more money to spend, they spend it, the economy picks up, and in the end, employers hire more employees.
                Are you blind? I'm arguing for government welfare in place of a raise in the minimum wage. And rising wages plus constant employment just results in inflation, not real economic expansion.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                  How did Wal-Mart "oppose it"? They just said they'd redirect their focus outside the city to the suburbs.
                  That's what people usually call blackmail
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                    That's what people usually call blackmail
                    Uh... or just business reality and *gasp* honesty.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

"You raise prices, we stop buying" is blackmail?

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Are you blind?
                        No, I'm from California -- the most properous state in the union and the sixth largest economy in the world. We have a high minumum wage and no problem with inflation (except for the three usuals: medical care, gasoline and housing).

Comment

Repeat after me: correlation is not causation. Correlation is not causation. Correlation is not causation.

The minimum wage usually rises in times of economic expansion, when we can afford it and it doesn't do that much harm. The harm comes when expansion slows. The minimum wage is harmful exactly in proportion to its effectiveness.

Comment

so argue my debate? how does this help to curb inflation?

it doesnt!

so, those who work hard continue to not be able to afford to live even if they try... class separation is the biggest issue, and instituting a living wage does nothing to narrow this band, it just increases the basis
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

I want to put $X in the consumers' pockets by raising wages.

You want to put $X in the consumers' pockets by keeping wages steady agumented with govt welfare.

Why does your $X cause less inflation (in any) than my $X?

Comment

Working...
                              X