Poly Sports Forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poly Sports Forum?

Further to a discussion on one of of the sports threads here, what do people think about having a sports forum as a sub forum of this one?

One poster was extolling the virtues of having more than one thread for a given sport, but the problem with that is that OT could very quickly 'spam up' with sports threads. Not spam for those interested in the particular threads, but just too many sports threads generally.

So, is there a case for a special place on 'Poly for sports discussion, freeing up valuable space on page one of OT for the ME threads and the 'me' threads?

Nah.

If Sports gets its own sub-forum, why doesn't ME? Lord knows there is enough to talk about in that thread already. It works fine just the way it is...
    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

If that forum gets a +1, I'm for it .

Otherwise... nah, why bother? More visibility in the OT anyway.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

nah, from me too. there arn't too many posters on Poly who know bugger all about sports. Why dilute it even further?

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever
          there arn't too many posters on Poly who know bugger all about sports.
          One of it's best features.

Comment

Originally posted by quantum_mechani
            One of it's best features.
            I beg to differ...geek!

Comment

Sports forum

Half the OT ends up about sports sometimes. and the general purpose MLB, NHL, NFL threads COULD be split up if a sports forum were made.

OTOH, only a handful seem to post about each sport.
              Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

And that's the problem... it may lead to LESS conversation as specialized threads pop up (on the team or division, or whatnot) and only a few post, others, who may be interested see that there aren't many sports fans and end up finding a sports board to post on.

Actually, that's kind of what happened to me, when I wanted to talk about American football and baseball. I found another forum to do that in because it seemed to few wanted to discuss such issues here... seeing as how many of the specific sport threads don't get much attention. Funny thing is that forum (Front Office Football Central) is expanding to talk about soccer, which I'm also getting here from the large thread .
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

yeah, for hockey I rarely come here, since it mostly results in Asher and NYE bickering. I generally go to hfboards.com

I don't care to chat about other sports much. I don't like to fake knowledge.
                  Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Isn't that what FFZ is for
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                      That's one of the key reasons I post there

I've asked for a sports forum on many occassions. I'd even settle for a non post count forum. But the owners are pretty consistent on this topic... They have the same position when it comes to other forum requests... like a history forum. They say the OTF is meant to cover those topics.
                      Keep on Civin'
                      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Nah. It would just get full of nonsensical thread titled like "hands off reds", "stand up whites" etc
                        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Park Avenue
                          Nah. It would just get full of nonsensical thread titled like "hands off reds", "stand up whites" etc
                          Yes, but the idea would be to get those active-but-only-for-three-people threads off the OT front page, where they seem to have been forever.

It was great to see all the vibrant discussion of the World Cup, but Terra's complaint in principle seemed to be that users shouldn't have to plough through pages of discussions on club football to find posts about international football. It wasn't really the case imo though, as the thousands of football posts this summer have mostly been on the world cup. I see his point in theory, though.

It's also true that Lawrence will get more people reading his posts on Swiss football in a combined thread, than in a Swiss Football thread - which may have been Imran's point.

Then there is the looking-up of things, or following specific debates, which can be difficult with multiple conversations spanning multiple threads.

I guess that on one hand there may not be enough posters to justify a sports forum, but sometimes there can be enough subjects to justify one.

Comment

Hehe - we could even have a thread exclusively debating whether the Australians own the word 'football'.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                              That's why I went there. I think I started a similar thread to this 2 years ago
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X