Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For 3 days in a row, I have been randomly approached by Christians [I hate koolaid]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For 3 days in a row, I have been randomly approached by Christians [I hate koolaid]

Situation 1: I'm in the student center on my laptop killing time before my 6pm lecture, and I'm approached by a heavyset girl with a camera and a hot girl with a microphone. They ask me if I want to answer a couple questions on camera for a "segment" they're doing (I assumed they were NUTV [campus TV station]) who normally do things like this and ask poll questions ("What did you do with your Ralph bucks?" etc). It started out asking my name, major, and year and quickly descended into a religious interrogation. "Am I spiritual? Am I religious? Do I go to church?"

When they found out I wasn't religious, nor spiritual, they started to grill me and persuade me to try sometime. "Don't you feel the void in your life?" was one of their questions. I was trying to be polite but they started to go too far, so I mentioned that not everybody need organized religion in their life to feel self-worth and a purpose, and that I had no desire to drink the koolaid. They seemed offended and ended with a "Thanks for your time" and left.

Situation 2: The very next day, I'm walking from one of my lectures to the gym with earphones in my ear. I'm suddenly approached by two people (young asian guy and young hot girl) who ask me directions. Being a nice guy, I oblige. Then they mention they're visiting the city and they're from Seattle and would like to know what kind of stuff to do. Then they asked me if I'd like to play Ultimate...when I declined they mentioned they were having a "discussion" with them and a group of people that evening on campus. When asked what the discussion was about, they said "spiritually focused...". Being the nice, non-confrontational guy I am , I told them I'd see if I could come. Then they pressured for my phone number, and I gave them a number I randomly made up and walked away.

Situation 3: Today, I'm walking in the student centre from lecture to lecture and a hot guy stops me and asks me how I'm doing. I'd normally just keep walking knowing the Christians are on the hunt in the area, but he was hot. I shook his hand and did some usual smalltalk, when he invited me to come to a discussion they were having that night...I smiled, said "no thanks", and quickly walked away. He seemed disgusted by my response...

So, in summary -- WTF is with Christians? Why do they always want to convert everyone? Mind your own ****ing business.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Seem like they've started a flirty fishing campaign ...

As for why they try and convert folks, I refer you to the Bible.
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I wish our synagogue had kool aid. Its like after services, and POTM used to always complain, cause she didnt like lemonade or iced tea, and wasnt going to drink hot coffee, so she only got to drink ice water. Now if wed had kool aid, she coulda had that. By now she drinks lemonade, and in any case is too busy running around with her friends after services to bother me about stuff like that. Though we still DO have to remind her, that even if shes not wild about the bagels OR the gefilte fish, we're STILL not going to make her lunch just cause she decided not to eat what there was for kiddush.

Oh, Christians and conversion - yeah, it can be annoying. But dont take it too personal. I dont. (I did once explain to one the details behind the Jewish view of the proper translation of Isaiah, and I think I threw him for a loop - dont think youd enjoy that as much as I did though)
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

This isn't flirty-fishing, there's no actual sex involved IIUC...
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

This is a problem in India , too . Christian missionaries use the aid money they receive for charity work and use it as "incentives" to convert innocent tribals . In response , the government had to ban conversion by force , fraud , or allurement .

Comment

I usually throw Bible quotes on them till they go away.
            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I usually wait until people's sin debt turns their minds into a painful organ and then talk to people about how I got help. I find that the pushy attitude of some make talking to people on a human level more difficult.
              Long time member @ Apolyton
              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                I wish our synagogue had kool aid. Its like after services, and POTM used to always complain, cause she didnt like lemonade or iced tea, and wasnt going to drink hot coffee, so she only got to drink ice water. Now if wed had kool aid, she coulda had that. By now she drinks lemonade, and in any case is too busy running around with her friends after services to bother me about stuff like that. Though we still DO have to remind her, that even if shes not wild about the bagels OR the gefilte fish, we're STILL not going to make her lunch just cause she decided not to eat what there was for kiddush.
                How can you not be wild about bagels?

Comment

These are probably the same *******s who put up very graphic pictures of butchered children in Rwanda and compared them to pictures of aborted fetuses around campus months ago.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Don't know why but I suddenly feel sympathetic towards these people...
                    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                    And notifying the next of kin
                    Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij
                      Don't know why but I suddenly feel sympathetic towards these people...
                      It's because you share their values in the objectification of women and your hatred of homosexuals. That and your charming ****-stirring personality and sticking your nose in where it doesn't belong repeatedly.

Hooray for American ****-sucking religious euros.

Comment

Because they have the best interests in mind of these people who hate them?
                        Long time member @ Apolyton
                        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Very odd that you would get approached 3 times in such a short timeframe. Is there some sort of big revival going on?
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

The first group may have been different, but the 2nd and 3rd incidents are clearly the same group "visiting" from Seattle here. I'm not even sure which denomination they are.

Comment

You really think it was random, Asher? Think again.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X