X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you ready for 2007? Variable Rate Mortgage Impact

The Impact of Variable Rate Mortgages
    in Economy | Fixed Income/Interest Rates | Real Estate
    We noted earlier in the year (here and here), that the $2 trillion in mortgage resets won't impact the consumer as much as many fear.

The key issue will be how many people will NOT be able to refinace in advance of the coming resets. The impact on the Real Estate market, however, is potentially significant, as detailed in a Damon Darlin column on Saturday :

"As home prices appreciated from ridiculously high to unbelievably higher, more Americans began using mortgages that allowed them to buy more house for less of a monthly payment. Next year, a large portion of those rates move up and homeowners who opted for the exotic mortgages could find their payments doubled. Talk about bloody. They need to find a way to minimize the pain.

Many will refinance their loans. But for others, whose mortgages now exceed the value of their homes or whose debt payments exceed 40 percent of their incomes, there may be no other solution than to get out of their houses. With the housing market cooling, selling it may not be easy. Some may default on their loans.

With more homes on the market, prices could begin to fall. That reduces home equity — the difference between the amount borrowed and the total value of the home — and could force people whose loans change in 2008 and 2009 to consider selling, further accelerating the drop in prices. Some of those cities with the highest proportions of interest-only loans are also at the greatest risk of falling prices." (emphasis added).

Here's what the data looks like:

"In 2003, of all new mortgages, 10.2 percent were interest-only, meaning the homeowner paid only the interest for the initial period of the loan. According to Loan Performance, a research firm, 26.7 percent of all loans were interest-only last year and another 15.3 percent were payment-option adjustable rate mortgages, which allow homeowners to choose how much they paid each month."

The problem is more concentrated in some regions: "In most California cities, as well as in Denver, Washington, Phoenix and Seattle, interest-only loans represented 40 percent or more of all mortgages issued in 2005."

Here's how this plays out:

"Traditionally, interest-only loans and adjustable-rate loans were used by people who expected to live in a house only a short time, but such loans have turned into “affordability products” as housing prices rose. The interest rate on the loans, while below that of conventional 30-year fixed-rate mortgages at the beginning, resets after 3, 5, 7 or 10 years, depending on the loan. So, homeowners who took out loans in 2004 could find, for example, that their initial 4.25 percent loan climbs to 6.25 percent or 7.25 percent next year.

Someone now paying $350 a month for a $100,000 interest-only loan could be facing payments of $680 both because of the shift to the higher rate and because the borrower would have to start paying off the principal as well as the interest."

So while the majority of homeowners (and therefore, the lion's share of consumers) are likely safe, there is still the Real Estate market to consider:

In any speculative market, one of the key risks is forced sales. In equities, its when the margin clerks walk around a firm, literally hitting bids indisciminately. Its as per legal/regulatory requirements -- if you don't have the cash in the aco**** -- WHACK!

The scenario laid out above is similar -- on the margins, a small number of speculative defaults lead to forced liquidations.

Since the marginal speculators helped drive prices skyward, its no surprise that the double whack of the loss of speculative buying plus forced selling can impact a neighborhood or even a region (I'm thinking Miami condos and houses in las Vegas) quite strongly. The key determinant as to the impact on a region will be the percentage of people whose "mortgage exceeds the value of their homes, or whose debt payments exceeds 40 percent of incomes." These people may be unable to refinance, and will be ripe for foreclosure.

Note that mortgage delinquencies and foreclosures remain low nationwide, including the areas where prices appreciated the most.
    IMO, next year is going to see a lot of hurt. Credit Card payments are up, energy costs are up, oil prices are up, and now rents are going up and home prices are going down... Then, next year, Variable Rate mortgages created in the height of the housing "bubble" come due at a time whne home sales are down and prices are up.

I don't really know how to prepare for it, but I've got 20% down and am trying to get 30% down as quickly as possible and have credit cards down to managable levels. I'm not selling my stocks just yet, but am accumilating cash in anticipation to start averaging into bonds.

Regardless, next year is going to be tough on a lot of folk.
    Monkey!!!

Has EvC gotten to you, Japher?
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

My wife and I thought we would have to refinance b/c she thought that our mortgage was going over to variable rate this fall... but she misremembered. Instead of 3 years fixed, it's 5 years fixed, and she refinanced in '04, so we're good until 2009.

On the flip side, we plan on moving soon and mortgage rates aren't very good right now...

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Has EvC gotten to you, Japher?
        I'm not predicting the end of the world. I'm predicting a recession.
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Re: Are you ready for 2007? Variable Rate Mortgage Impact

Originally posted by Japher

I don't really know how to prepare for it, but I've got 20% down and am trying to get 30% down as quickly as possible and have credit cards down to managable levels. I'm not selling my stocks just yet, but am accumilating cash in anticipation to start averaging into bonds.

Regardless, next year is going to be tough on a lot of folk.
          Wow -- it appears you are right that next year will be tough on those folks. Personally I would only consider an interest-only mortgage as a short term measure-- its key to be able to start paying off the debt.

Personally I am a fan of the security of locked in mortgage rates. In my initial 3 year term I took a small loss as against what I would have paid with variable rates. But this time I am already a winner so far and have 54 more months of secure locked in rates. If rates drop, I may curse a little but I would still consider any extra I pay to be cheap insurance against rate spikes

Oh and I paid 25% down on my house to start and with appreciation I understand my mortage is a bit less than half of resale value. We do not carry any credit card debt.
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Re: Are you ready for 2007? Variable Rate Mortgage Impact

Originally posted by Japher
            I'm not selling my stocks just yet, but am accumilating cash in anticipation to start averaging into bonds.

I have decided to NOT attempt to be a "market timer" -- I have chosen stocks for the long run (20 year window) and plan to stick with them
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

don't get me wrong
              I'm not timing my exit
              I'm timing my entry

no one in their right minds would buy bonds now
              Monkey!!!

Comment

I wouldn't touch an interest-only mortgage with a 10 foot pole. You gotta reduce your principal, even if price appreciation is fairly assured.
                "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Yeah, interest-only sounds crazy to me.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Granted I agree about staying away from interest only type mortages, but just for grins, on a traditional mortgage, how much principle do you believe you pay off in the first three years of the loan. NOT MUCH.

I remember after the first year reading the statement and I had paid over 10 grand in interest and the principle reduction was around 600 dollars.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

that's why 15 year mortgages are so nice

I don't have one, but I will in a few years
                      regardless of what the interest rate is at the time
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Yes, my original one was a 30 year, but after refinancing to pay for windows and siding we switched it to 15. So while the payments went up some, we'll still finish paying it off 8 years earlier than the original 30.
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

**** like this shows the short sighted thinking that many americans exhibit...or the greatest nation of gamblers ever.

it also shows why simple tax policy doesnt make or break an economy
                          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I'm enjoying watching ppl freak out on the msg boards at Craig's List
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                              Granted I agree about staying away from interest only type mortages, but just for grins, on a traditional mortgage, how much principle do you believe you pay off in the first three years of the loan. NOT MUCH.

I remember after the first year reading the statement and I had paid over 10 grand in interest and the principle reduction was around 600 dollars.
                              Depends on the rate. We bought our newest place near the bottom end of the rate scale two years ago, and got a nice discount on top of that. We were actually paying more principal than interest with each payment, right from the get go! It was insane. We've subsequently renewed and are back to the scales being in the other direction, but not by that much.
                              "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                              "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Working...
                              X