No announcement yet.

Are you ready for 2007? Variable Rate Mortgage Impact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at things from an Australian perspective, where home mortgages are lent almost entirely on variable rate mortgages which rise and fall with each variation in official interest rates by the Reserve Bank, the USA system of mostly fixed rates seems inefficient economically. Fixed mortgages place banks under great stress during times of changing interest rates which has led to a need for government bailouts of massive proportions in the past, also it insulates consumers from most of the impact of official interest changes, resulting in much larger changes required to alter the course of the economy. Our central bank makes small changes to the interest rates and presto, the economy slows or grows because its impact on mortgage repayments is immediate. The result is an economy of 15 years of consecutive growth which looks like continuing into the future. A move by the USA banking system to true variable loans, not the hybrid fixed loans with occasional changes would be a huge benefit to your economy and its management.
    Also I find it hard to believe that any government would give tax deductions on home interest payments, this just encourages the debt spiral and excessive spending and living beyond your means. The removal of those tax deductions would remove most if not all of your govenment deficit and go along way to fixing your trade deficit problems as well as reduce the overheating of your housing market.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
      Do you have to refinance these mortgages? Is there a penalty if the payment goes to greater than 40% of your income?
      40%??? That's insane. My rent (not including utilities) is around 6% of me and my wife's after tax income. And we have a two bedroom apartment which is not half-bad for a childless couple in Korea...

I did have to pay a $5k desposit (standard over here), but that's an insane portion of your income to spend on housing.

The removal of those tax deductions would remove most if not all of your govenment deficit and go along way to fixing your trade deficit problems as well as reduce the overheating of your housing market.
      But it would piss a lot of people off, it's probably the most popular single tax-break. Not gunna happen.
      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Bosh
        I did have to pay a $5k desposit (standard over here), but that's an insane portion of your income to spend on housing.
        In Paris, many poor people spend as much as 2/3 of their income on rent.
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

We did a re-fi a few years back when rates were low, set ourselves up with a 20-yr fixed rate. It's pretty sweet.

It will be interesting to watch all the folks who took gimmick loans to acquire their McMansions struggling to find a reasonable re-fi. My guess is that the mortgage industry will come up with a couple new vehicles to meet that need.

Interest-only loans
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Bosh

40%??? That's insane. My rent (not including utilities) is around 6% of me and my wife's after tax income. And we have a two bedroom apartment which is not half-bad for a childless couple in Korea...

6%!

what kind of place do you live where rent is that cheap?
            Visit First Cultural Industries
            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Korea, clearly.

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

besides, he's a squirrel

probably lives in a tree
                Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley

6%!

what kind of place do you live where rent is that cheap?
                  Within walking distance of here (yum yum yum), Seongnam, one of cheaper of Seoul's suburbs:
                  Attached Files
                  Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Used to live near here, paid about twice as much for about half the space:
                    Attached Files
                    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Japher View Post
                      I'm not predicting the end of the world. I'm predicting a recession.
                      So was Japher spookily prescient or was the eventual recession coincidental?
                      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Recessions always come around. What few predicted was how big it was.
                        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

The reasoning behind Japher's prediction did match up with one of the underlying causes. When speaking of bearish predictors, we can often say they have correctly predicted 9 out of the last 2 recessions.
                          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

How did I miss this thread? Pure gold.
                            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Working...
                            X