Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any of you guys ever play that euro game with the sliding weights and the broom guys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any of you guys ever play that euro game with the sliding weights and the broom guys?

Why the brooms? If the guy wanted it to go further why not just slide it harder?

I slid one weight in Switzerland but missed terribly.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Curling? like on ice you mean

The sweeping makes it go straighter when the stone needs it iirc
    Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

I thought it was called "curling" because they swept one side of the ice more than the other to make the weight curl to a halt or something?
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Snotty
        Curling? like on ice you mean

The sweeping makes it go straighter when the stone needs it iirc
        I think it makes the Stone go farther, as the wiping melts a little bit of the ice, producing a small sheet of water, thereby minimizing the friction.
        Dunno, but I think therefore the wipers could also control the trajectory of the stone up to a certain amount, for example by wiping one side more intensive than the other (or by stopping the wiping in time, so that the stone decelerates and stops at the right place)
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

This thread is so 6 months ago... The Winter Olympics is over! And the Swedish ladies won Gold! Nice tits too!
          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Change the stone's direction...I don't think I buy that. Speed & distance, maybe. The question remains though, why not just slide it harder?

"The Winter Olympics is over! And the Swedish ladies won Gold! Nice tits too!"

Blonds with brooms? I don't think so. Or maybe they hired some Mexicans to do the sweeping?
            Long time member @ Apolyton
            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

The Swedish ladies didn't need any Mexican brooms! The Canadian men won gold too. But they used their own sticks.
              So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
              Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

I thought by sweeping (or not sweeping) you could better determine where the stone ended up, which is the object of the game--like shuffleboard. --But what do I know?

Comment

BTW: The answer to your question is No. All that sweeping looks too much like housework.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                    I thought by sweeping (or not sweeping) you could better determine where the stone ended up, which is the object of the game--like shuffleboard. --But what do I know?
                    Sweeping can alter the path of a curling stone (a stone moving on a curved path) since sweeping will tend to straighten the path of the stone. How effectively the sweeping can alter a path depends on a lot of factors though such as the conditions of the ice, the speed of the stone, how hard it's swept etc.
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Incidentally, curling originated in Canada, a variation of a native American competition. I've seen it played up close, but haven't played. The direction of the stone can be altered by the sweeping.
                      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer
                        Incidentally, curling originated in Canada, a variation of a native American competition. I've seen it played up close, but haven't played. The direction of the stone can be altered by the sweeping.
                        Umm, curling is from Scotland, or possibly the Netherlands.
                        Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

The sweeping creates a thin film of water, on which the stone slides better (with less friction) than on the naked ice (on which the stone would have to create the film itself by its weight and friction). This way the player can influence the speed of the stone, or rather the amount of its slowing down. If the player stops sweeping, the friction begins to lessen the speed of the stone, so that it can come to a standstill at the place of its destination.

I'm not sure whether the sweeping can alter the direction. Perhaps a small amout, by one sided sweeping, while the other half of the stone glides over naked ice.

Comment

Curling's Scottish origins can be deduced from this still of Leslie Nielson in that Great Canadian Tribute to Curling Movie, "Men with Brooms":
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                              You are largely correct.

Sweeping a stone makes it go further and straighter. If a stone is thrown "perfectly", it would not need to be swept at all , but no one has the skills to consistently throw that precisely

Since a swept stone would travel up to 20 feet further than an unswept one that was thrown exactly the same, the best curlers try to judge things so that they are a little short and the sweepers effort makes the rock end up where you want. It is always a judgement thing though since the sweeping needed to get a rock as deep as you want may mean that it curls over less.

Oh and the curl is imparted by the gentle spin you imparton delivery. Even someone new can MAKE the rock curl quite easily. The skill is in not throwing the rock too hard.

If you throw it too hard, there is nothing the sweepers can do to slow the rock down. Oh nand it requires a very gentle touch. The difference in a rock that is way short and way long is very tough to guage
                              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Working...
                              X