Microsoft's iPod competitor...image leaked, will be Xbox branded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft's iPod competitor...image leaked, will be Xbox branded

We've had to sit on this one for a while, but it's about time we showed you guys at least one possible form Microsoft's Argo / Xbox-branded wireless portable media player could take. Sent to us from an insider working on the project, we're told the device pictured above is indeed a part of "Project Argo," and from what we can tell it definitely jibes from the blurry pics we caught a while back; though if the piece from earlier today is to be believed, this could just be one of numerous Microsoft portables. It's hard to tell just how much larger the screen on this thing actually is, but it does indeed appear to be a 4:3 aspect ratio display, and could be 3, even 3.5-inches wide. Keep your eyes peeled, you know we do our best to have this stuff as early as possible.

Not bad at all.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Looks like something from the 80's
    be free

Comment

Wow ... first they rip off Apple's OS, now they rip off Apple's iPod ... clickwheel looking device, identical shape ... oh, wait, but they got neither color nor button placement right.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Oh give me a BREAK.

Since when did Apple pioneer the concept of rectangular audio players? Did you never have a walkman? Did you not know that Creative's MP3 players used a rectangular shape before the iPod as well?

And suddenly any circular scrolling device is a "ripoff of Apple", yet whenever a mouse has a scrollwheel on it (including Apple), no one seems to mention that's "ripping off" Microsoft?

Regarding ripping off the OS, that still irks me. People really have no frickin' idea what they're talking about. They see shiny windows in OS X, then shiny windows in Windows Vista and OMFG RIPOFF RIPOFF! :/

Apple has done some things in OS X a bit prematurely before the market was ready (which is why OS X was dog slow and still is a bit slow compared to Windows), but those were things the market was heading in. As MS hasn't really released new technology since 2001, 5 years is a long time in tech...they're in the new version.

Fanboys and idiots alike LOL at the video that compares Windows Vista "features" to stuff kinda-sorta-already in MacOS X. They have no idea what is going on underneath the fancy 3D window effects and is happening inside, because when you think about it, it's not even funny how much more advanced the innards of Windows are compared to OS X.

Which is why we're now having the rumours that the entire kernel of OS X is about to be shown the door and replaced with a new one...maybe one not from the 1980s.

Apple has made a lot of money on marketing and popularizes things before the markets are generally ready (arguably helping create the market), before they cede the market to more competent companies. It's their MO. But thinking that Apple is innovating and Microsoft is copying is a huge joke -- this is how the tech business works...one company will do something and if the market seems to prefer it (eg, a wheel scroll mechanism for MP3 players), others will follow suit. That's how business works, so if people would grow up and stop screaming OMFG RIP OFF OF APPLE every time somebody makes rectangular electronics or circular buttons, we'd be a lot better off.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

OMFG APPLE RIPPED OFF CREATIVE

Creative releases a rectangular MP3 player with a screen on the top, then Apple does.

Comment

America's patent system is royally screwed up.
            "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
              America's patent system is royally screwed up.
              It is a bit interesting what's come out of the Apple-Creative lawsuits.

Turns out Apple wanted to partner with Creative about a year before the iPod was released, including licensing Creative's technology.

Then they went and created their own with a remarkably similar player and system, and are somehow arguing they didn't base their players off of Creative's software interface.

It's even funnier with all of the Apple fanboys always chiming about how Creative or Microsoft is ripping off Apple, when Apple is the one who seems to be doing its own fair share of "ripping off"...

Comment

I'm not an apple fanboy However, MS certainly did pattern elements of windows (3.1, and 95, i'm not talking vista) after MacOS; that's rarely disputed, it's simply whether doing so was illegal/immoral or simply recognizing a good way to design something

Regarding the iPod, i'm not arguing the rectangular shape, I'm just saying that when I saw that picture, I initially thought "god, that's an ugly looking iPod..." which leads me to suggest that it looks an awful lot like an iPod.

It's not that any one element (shape, screen, wheel, buttons) shows similarities. It's the number of elements that do.

Beyond that, this is still butt ugly.

Comment

Apple patterned elements of MacOS after what they saw at Xerox PARC...

There's reasons why Apple lost their lawsuit vs MS regarding the Windows interface.

Comment

Indeed. Certainly 98% of 'new' ideas are modifications of older ideas, I won't argue that.

MacOS patterned after PARC has no bearing on whether or not Windows was patterned after MacOS, however. That, and PARC really wasn't a competitor of the Mac (at the time) ... unless Steve Jobs had something really weird up his sleeve

Comment

looks like a rip off of the ipod.
                      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Looks really bland.
                        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Nice big screen though. I don't think it looks any blander then the other media players out there but even if you think it is bland then that still matters less then functionality. If the X-Box Media Player runs more formats, has a longer battery life, better resolution/fedelity, and/or costs less then it will be worth a look.

I am in the market for a new media player since my old one got stolen out of my car.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I want to get an I-Pod so I can be distinctive, like everyone else.
                            He's got the Midas touch.
                            But he touched it too much!
                            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Doesn't look like a true competitor to me.
                              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                              X