Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DeLong: I had to decide whether to be a Civilization addict or an economics professor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Maybe we should have given it to Bush:

"Damn, these barbarians in the Iraq scenario are really annoying! Its like I can never get rid of them"

In Europa Universalis, he'd just have to wait 30 years for the nationalist +3 Revolt effect to wear off.:P
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander
      I have Civ 3, but don't like it. I won't even try Civ 4 until it costs 5$ or less.
      BUY IT. Civ 4 is roughly infinity times better than Civ 3.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG

sure. just let me know of details (type of shirt, font used in the text, etc). we also have the option to do black t-shirt now although i havent bought one of those yet to see how it turns out
        Neat trick. Very entreprenual.
        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

please elaborate
          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

True - except for how they handle artillery units (catapults, cannons and artillery). In Civ III these units could be protected by friendly units as they fired at the enemy from a distance - which is what artillery does in real life.

In Civ IV, if you want to target enemy units, you actually have to use your artillery like you'd use common melee units and directly attack the enemy with them, most likely losing them in the process because artillery units aren't made for that kind of fighting. This is a change that really sucks in my opinion and the collateral damage - although a nice touch - really does not make up for it.
            There's already a mod that transforms artillery toward the old Civ3 style.
            "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
            "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
            Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Wonderful! I'll look it up ASAP!
              "Politics is to say you are going to do one thing while you're actually planning to do someting else - and then you do neither."
              -- Saddam Hussein

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

BUY IT. Civ 4 is roughly infinity times better than Civ 3.
                My price point is $5 since I bought Civ 3 for full price and it blew chunks imo. And I'm not exactly dying for yet another Civ game.
                He's got the Midas touch.
                But he touched it too much!
                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

So Civ4 artillery is like pre-Civ3 artillery?

Comment

It's like SMAC artillery - it does collateral damage.

Comment

Arty units in Civ4 do two things:

1) Reduce city defense bonus via standoff bombardment. A city will have a certain % defense bonus that is primarily based on culture, but also walls and/or a castle. Catapults and the like can bombard and reduce this bonus, all the way to 0.

2) Attack and cause collateral damage. For the most part, catapults will not have great odds of outright victory. They may die, but deal splash damage, allowing your other units to mop up. They can also retreat, although the retreat chance is fairly low. And they're fairly cheap.

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

OFF TOPIC people!

OFF Topic.
                        "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                        "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                        "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Re: DeLong: I had to decide whether to be a Civilization addict or an economics profe

Originally posted by VetLegion
                          Another doctor of economics, Bryan Caplan, follows up:

(...)

P.S. If you've got an early version of Civilization II, I wrote some fun scenarios for it, including a version of World War II where Hitler and Stalin begin as allies, and - for readers with cast-iron stomachs - a horrifying take on World War III...
                          Hmmm, funny coincidence. I was just on his website a few minutes ago:
                          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

They have Civ4? I'm still thinking about getting Gold.

Comment

Working...
                            X