Ethnicities and Family Genealogy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Theseus

Anyway, so now the family is named Podolsky. Come 1919, the Bolsheviks take over Russia, and he decides it's a bad idea to sound like a Russian. Decides to change the name.

Well, he and my grandfather agree that it should be changed to Podos. His other two sons, my great-uncles, vehemently disagree on the spelling. This goes on for about six months... huge family fights that actually never really healed. One of'em decides on Podus, and the other decides on Podis. All legally change their names.

So now, there's this sprawl of Pod*s progeny running around... all three versions are artificially manufactured, so any Pod*s is definitely in the clan.

Every once in a while a meet one... and they don;t all know the story! Couple of years ago, I had to set up a family conference call to prove it to a guy I met in LA!

So be on the lookout for anybody named Pod*s (all warmongers, btw).

So youve heard about the Jew named Sean Ferguson?
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Park Avenue
      3/4 Yorkshire, 1/4 Welsh
      Eh-oop, lad, shouldn't ye be supportin' Leeds or t'proper White Rose Cloob, not some Lancashire tarts ....

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
        "Haus" is actually a High German word.
        That's partly why I chose that spelling for my Civ handle, though 'Hause' is actually used in English to mean a mountain pass. I've only seen it used in Cumbria, where a lot of Norse words survive, so it might come from there rather than the Saxon. My 'poly name was nearly Cathy Dral.

As far as my surname goes, although a Bavarian insisted to me that the name was theirs, it is also the name of a beer that was first brewed in Hungary (now brewed in Northern Italy and drunk in Germany) and I gather that German names were common all over the old Austrian empire.

Whilst I know that my French ancestor came to London as part of the wine trade, I'd love to know know why this German/Austrian guy came over.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
          Anyway, so now the family is named Podolsky. Come 1919, the Bolsheviks take over Russia, and he decides it's a bad idea to sound like a Russian. Decides to change the name.
          - but Podolski is now a very cool name - perhaps you should change it back!

Comment

100% Hungarian/Magyar as far as I can tell.

Everyone came over like 100 years ago and so far my grandparents & parents were fortunate enough to hook up with fellow Hungarians over here in the melting pot. I'll probably mess it all up since I'm not specifically looking for a Hungarian chick, however just last night a Hungarian girl responded to my CL personal ad..... who knows.
            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

"Drop yer panties Sir William, I cannot wait 'till lunch time!"

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                100% Hungarian/Magyar as far as I can tell.

Everyone came over like 100 years ago and so far my grandparents & parents were fortunate enough to hook up with fellow Hungarians over here in the melting pot. I'll probably mess it all up since I'm not specifically looking for a Hungarian chick, however just last night a Hungarian girl responded to my CL personal ad..... who knows.
                This preserving the bloodline sort of thing is something that never entered into my thoughts when growing up. But I would guess that, for this generation, it's not something people generally think about.

Although my four grandparents were not terribly pleased with my two parents mingling, considering one's a Jew and one's a Catholic. But that's not exactly mixing of bloodlines.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Funny story, T.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

catholic blood and jewish blood I guess doesn't make much sense. necessarily... I read somewhere that what used to be seen as solely norwegian food (like lutefisk), now in (parts of) the US is considered lutheran food. So it seems that church affiliation is more important than nationality. Like people go to the nearest lutheran church to get lutefisk.
                    CSPA

Comment

• Well, Jewish blood can have meaning. I've got the nose and the last name of a stereotypical Jew.
                      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                      X