To vomit ... or not to vomit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alva
    When I see a long wall of names of kids who died far too young, a tune with a beat is not comes to my mind.
    Neither is it something to celebrate but to commiserate their loss and the waste of it all.
    Yanks haven't suffered what Euros did recently, for a very long time. Obviously that leads to a difference in POV.

Give the EU 40 years and we'll see if you're as adverse to war as many in Europe are now.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
      Vomiting would not be uncalled for.

The only thing worse than a nationalist celebration day is when the military is celebrated at the same time.

Same thing for singing the anthem on rememberance day. : puke :
      Were you one of the guys pissing on the National War Memorial?
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Vomit? Perhaps, but only because Americans deserve better than this schlock.
        B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by alva
          The military should be honored, because it is only with their sacrifices that we have a fourth of july to celebrate.

I have no problem with that in itself. It's a different thing imho, to glorify death. I'd rather watch a video on how we can prevent more being killed.
          Glorify or remember?

You are free to produce your own videos urging pacifism.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)

Comment

I have always intensely disliked this song sing I first heard it twenty years ago while working as a waiter at a place called Wag's (it was like Denny's, but with better food). Too me, the song is a call to the mindless nationalism of the right, without really thinking about what it really is that makes America wonderful, and the fact that what makes it wonderful is always at risk from those who claim to love it most.

Plus, it's just a crappy song.

"This Land Is Your Land" is soooo much better.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Canadian version is even better.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither

Were you one of the guys pissing on the National War Memorial?
                I can't actually recall what it looks like, so I couldn't say if it deserves to be pissed on or not.

There's nothing wrong with remembering those who have died in war. But to remember only those who have died while fighting on your side, and to use it as an opportunity celebrate the nation and wave flags, is to **** on that memory.
                Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

It's a tomb.

It's appearance would make it worthy to piss on?

While your POV on what should be remembered is commendable, other people have other points of view, and that doesn't make you or they right or wrong.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                    I have always intensely disliked this song sing I first heard it twenty years ago while working as a waiter at a place called Wag's (it was like Denny's, but with better food). Too me, the song is a call to the mindless nationalism of the right, without really thinking about what it really is that makes America wonderful, and the fact that what makes it wonderful is always at risk from those who claim to love it most.

Plus, it's just a crappy song.

"This Land Is Your Land" is soooo much better.
                    Not to mention a lot of the people who mindlessly sing along to the song don't actually do anything to defend what makes America America...
                    B♭3

Comment

What have you done?
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)

Comment

Nothing, really, other than spend money I don't have funding anti-American organizations like the EFF and the ACLU.

Maybe if I bought American flags and tied them to the antenna of an SUV, I'd be fighting for the American way just like many of those who sing mindlessly* to the song.

*There are those who actually sing the song and understand the lyrics, having engaged themselves with the text. I have no beef with them; their patriotism is measured, considered. It is not blind--and it is the blind patriotism I stand against.

That said, America deserves better than that Lee Greenwood schlock and that iMovie-edited photomontage.
                        B♭3

Comment

Oh, you've put money down, and that's what's important.

How American.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)

Comment

What did that cost you? $20 bucks?
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

I also hate that Greenwood song. It's utterly foul.

You know what I do like though? BLTs. We had them for dinner last night. The good summer tomatos aren't in yet, but we had good bread and, most importantly, good bacon. I like bacon. It tastes even better if you imagine the pig getting its throat slit by an all-American butcher! USA! Red meat! USA! Red meat!

EDIT: Okay, now I've got Greenwood in my head. I'll add it to my big list of reasons Che must die.
                              Last edited by Elok; July 5, 2006, 08:03.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                                What did that cost you? $20 bucks?
                                A little more than that. You're right, it's very American.

Too bad it doesn't support the Republican party, and they tend to do everything in order to make us unsafe in the name of our rights.

Also, it doesn't go into the pockets of the Chinese flag merchants who seem to have made a killing in the wake of 9/11.

I'm not saying I did much for the country (my money's sent to organizations dead set against it, after all)--what I am saying is that there are a good many people who don't do anything for the country either, and yet seem to take umbrage when one mentions that there are so many better songs with which to honor the US, or that one doesn't need freedom fromage of the highest order like that video in order to respect the troops.

Now, nye, if you still think that my opinion here is worthless because I haven't put my life on the line in military service, that's fine. I can rest easy, since all you are is a Canadian.
                                B♭3

Comment

Working...
                                X